Apple Launches iTunes Sale With 4K HDR Bundles Starting at $19.99 for Three Movies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Maybe I'm old fashioned. I guess there's an appeal to only watching new films but that's not for me personally. Watching new films is hit or miss wouldn't you agree? Rewatching though... in the right mood or with the right people... that's always good.

I buy all my fave films on Blu-ray disc and will continue doing so, because the quality is also better. I might watch 3 or 4 films in the cinema a year and the best get bought as optical... Netflix is good for films you weren't excited to see at the cinema and don't want to risk buying it on optical just incase you don't like it. That's literally the way all my friends and family do it :eek: I thought our way was the norm!

2. fathergll, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

fathergll macrumors 65816

Agreed but I think I'm at the point right now where i'm not even buying blurays but only UHD blurays.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2017 ---

Depends on your setup. The average person has a run of the mill small LCD set that they watch too far away, is completely uncalibated running on torch mode, and they watch the movie with lights on with no sound system.

If you watch a movie on a calibrated 65" decent quality tv(usually oled/plasma) from 7 - 8ft away(Recommended THX viewing distance) with a proper sound system with lights off the difference is actually very noticeable when using a disc very a stream.

It really depends on the content. Streams have a habit of breaking down in low light situation or fast moving scene with artifacts. The sound from most streams is pretty bad as well.

3. err404 macrumors 68020

Of course there is more compression with streaming. Blu Ray is the gold standard for bitrate. That said, the 4K HDR streams are much better at the low light and high speed areas than prior 1080 SDR streams. Calibration is a red herring in this discussion because color reproduction has never really been much of an issue with streams.
    I get that you have high standards while viewing your content, but I also feel that you are exaggerating the impact of the quality difference of current streams to make your point.
    But just like you have your priorities, so do I. I find the quality difference does not materially impact my enjoyment, even on my calibrated ks8000.

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

How do you not understand renting? It allows you to watch a movie once, the exact use case you are talking about. Not every movie is on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or HBO, so if you want to watch that movie you rent it. I think digital renting is fantastic, digital owning however is a little less great as a place could shut their doors and you lose access to your content. At least with UltraViolet and MoviesAnyway that's a little more secure in knowing you won't lose everything, but it can still happen which is unfortunate. I wish they could sell DRM free copies.

5. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

Thanks for the tips!

6. TheNormsk macrumors member

There are some really bad movies in that list. Obviously an attempt to earn some money for those duds.

7. KrisLord macrumors 65816

CheapCharts iOS app is great when these offers launch.

Finding offers via iTunes is difficult.

8. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

For me, I just wait for a $10 or $14 sale and buy, but I also can't resist a $4.99 deal. If I rent something and end up liking it then to me that's $6 wasted when I'd rather take a chance and pay $10 or $14 and keep it. I watch most things I own at least 3 times over the years and I have over 1,000 movies. I have no trust in Digital only (especially when just today Flixter sent out a notice saying they are shutting down), And considering apple has already been playing games with switching the between 4k and regular licensing so I don't trust Apple either. However the deals are so good and appeals to impulse buying. But I'm radically curbing my digital purchasing. Just been burned way to many times by too many different companies.

9. magamen macrumors member

magamen

great, if only the actual movies were worth it...

10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Plot twist.... Bad Boys, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Professional are actually FOUR, not THREE movies ;)

Ironically enough, one of iTunes' main draw starting off was you can just buy the single track or 3 that you liked, as opposed to buying a whole album just for those 1 to 3 songs.

11. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Isn’t that an easy question to answer?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but stuff transfers over to VUDU and the new Movies Anywhere service is great too. And it's not like Apple is going anywhere.

I like physical media too (since I can only view 3D films that way), but there is something to be said for digital as well. First, they take up no space on a shelf or in the house somewhere. Second, you don't have to worry about them getting lost, stolen or damaged. Your kids won't be able to ruin your digital copies. :D

13. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

Yeah, i’m tired of dealing with ohysical media. The clutter, messy book cases, wasted space, etc... I’m moving next yr and honestly would like to throw it all away or donate

14. cmaier macrumors G4

It’s like each pack has to have one decent movie and two turds.

15. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

No one wants them. Seriously. Nearly impossible to sell unless you have a few rare gems.

16. JackieInCo Suspended

I'm still using an ATV2 and extremely happy. No need to get a newer ATV till this one breaks.

17. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I had a neighbor who got pissed because he had to delete about 200 GB of Gray's Anatomy from his MacBook (he only had 250 GB of storage. When he wanted to re-DL them again, they told him it wasn't possible. Got pissed and ditched Apple (actually, ditched laptops altogether). To be on the safe side, I'd maintain your own digital copies if possible.

18. TexasErin macrumors newbie

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is actually one movie.

19. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I know. That's why I included the ';)' to show I was joking about that.

20. DontBelieveUPS macrumors newbie

EVERYONE BE CAREFUL! CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS IN YOUR PURCHASE HISTORY AND BE PREPARED TO FIGHT!

I bought many iTunes 4K titles only to find that that did the classic bait and switch! Thinking I bought new 4K entitlements for Movies that I already owned in HD, I found on my receipt they sold be HD again! Remember! They are scamming customers by giving free 4K viewing on Apple TV 4K. They left this out of the product announcement as well as their soon to follow clarification release. They said anything you buy or redeem from iTunes would be upgraded to 4K if available.

Here is why it’s a scam! THEY NEVER PLANNED TO SELL YOU 4K ENTITLEMENTS! Check your receipts people for any 4K purchase you made in iTunes! It clearly says HD. If you use Movies Anywhere to link your retailers, Apple tells Movies Anywhere that you bought HD only. So even if Vudu, Google Play, or Amazon have UHD available, you will never get UHD there because they claim it is HD you purchased! So if your Vudu Family members have 4K capable non-Apple hardware, they are robbed of their legal rights to the UHD version.

I’ve been fighting for weeks to get iTunes to reissue my purchase in full 4K so they report to Movies Anywhere as such. They refused to reissue or refund! And I already owned HD of 11 of the 12 titles! Over $180 wasted. If I had bought elsewhere I would get UHD on all MA retailers if they had it available including iTunes. And that is exactly what I’m doing from now on. Buy from Amazon, Google Plus, or Vudu! So later when your Apple TV 4K fails, you will have all your other possibilities to still access the content you paid for! Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast, and Smart TVs would still work! And their family sharing does NOT force every family member to buy an Apple TV 4K for the UHD content access.

HERE IS THE FOREWARNING. I had to have Amex dispute and chargeback those transactions since Apple refused to resolve it. The next day, only 14 hours later, Apple actually disabled my iTunes account. And as a “Family Organizer”, my entire family was impacted with rightfully owned content withheld and services disabled. The scope off the impact is more than you may realize realize!

Since my HomeKit data was in iCloud, guess what happens! My home automation stops! Hope you have physical keys in your pocket! I didn’t but was fortunate that I hid a physical key outside. ALEXA, can you hear me now? Siri has copped an attitude!

Another huge impact: They disabled my whole family’s Apple Music subscription. Over 78GB of music on my iPhone X 256MB was instantly deleted! And the vast majority of that 78GB was for music that I own physical CD’s and had imported as ALAC into iTunes for premium audio quality when home. Only 1174 items from my iCloud music library were from Apple Music. The remaining 6949 that I fully owned were forcibly removed from my iPhone X and had to be re-downloaded from iCloud Music Library (time consuming and battery drain with 300Mb/s). Apple had no right whatsoever to delete that content.

But wait! That’s not all! Even after significant time on the phone getting my Apple ID reenabled, I find that they have permanently blocked my American Express card. Permanently! For enforcing my consumer rights through a credit card dispute, they refuse to accept it again FOR LIFE! I can’t reenter my Amex as my payment method. I have to go get a different card!

SO the next day, I get an email that because they couldn’t charge $2.99 for my 200GB iCloud Drive, it was reduced to 5GB. The 200GB was family shared. Now I have 1GB per family member. All because they refuse to use my perfectly good American Expeess number that still worked! Seems this will happen to all iTunes subscriptions.

In addition, the disabled ApokeID had also disabled “Find My iPhone” and “Find My Mac”. So if my iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 12” w/ 256GB+cellular, my Apple Watch, my $3,000 iMac 5K with $1,000 Thunderbolt Display, or my $2,900 MacBook Pro had disappeared, I’d have been “SOL” as they say. That’s well over $10,000 of my own equipment without even including my family’s devices.

21. zarmanto macrumors member

zarmanto

Correct. If you had read Apple's documentation on their 4K movie offerings, you would have already known this; it has even been a complaint levied against them in articles on the topic, because they have never claimed otherwise. Your entire scenario could have been avoided, but for a very minimal amount of research on your part.

The first thought that entered my head when I read this was, "What the heck did you do?? Threaten to steal their first born if they didn't capitulate to your demands??" Because it has been my experience that Apple's customer support staff is perfectly willing to be reasonable, when you are being reasonable. My wife and I made a mistake once, which resulted in duplicate purchases on my iTunes account; I informed Apple of the error, they took a look at my account to confirm that there were indeed duplicate purchases of the same product, and they promptly issued a full refund without question. Mind you: I specifically told Apple that I wasn't blaming them... it wasn't their fault at all. But they still remedied the problem, probably in large part simply because I was honest and respectful.

Aaaaaaaaaannd... the entire rest of your post basically amounts to an adolescent diatribe describing how you failed to recognize that there can be consequences to your actions. Sure; you can always "exercise your legal rights." But so can Apple -- which they did. To put it bluntly: You tried to force their hand, so they forced your hand in return. Frankly, I'm not in the least surprised by their response.

But, you know... good luck with that smear campaign and all.

22. canali, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

canali macrumors newbie

hi everyone, a newbie here...just got in an lg oled 65'' to replace my 13 yr old tv rear projection....and am undecided about going the apple 4k tv route or buying an oppo 203 (or maybe just doing both) for 4k movies...to be frank i'm hoping the upcoming CES show has more 4k bluray players that can both stream and offer dolby vision.

but per the sub's post on apple itunes 4k being of lesser quality than a bluray player, well i've only read very glowing online professional reviews of what apple has managed to pull off from it's new 4ktv in terms of resolution and clarity of its itunes movies in dolby vision.
    tv calibrator vincent theo, for example, in the vid below did a side by side with the oppo 203 vs the apple 4k and in his op you couldn't tell the diffs unless up close the screen.

personally i love the liberation that streaming music has given me..i use roon, microrendu, a sonictransporter i5 with tidal to my kef ls50w speakers.
    i just hate having to always upgrade my gear every few yrs as tech changes so fast, causing such a loss of value in my purchases....but who knows...as noted, i'm still indecisive as to what route to go...at least the oppo 203 isn't the $$$ cost i once put out on a sony ES series sacd/dvd player...just wish it had streaming abilities....again i'm eager to see what CES reveals for new 4k blu ray players.

23. cmaier macrumors G4

I’m sorry - this post makes me giggle.

24. cmaier macrumors G4

Just noticed the poster had had like three posts in all the years he’s been on here. And the last ones were complaining about ups.

25. zarmanto macrumors member

zarmanto

Yeah; I noticed that too, but I didn't see much point in mentioning it, as it would be too easy to dismiss such a criticism as an ad-hominem fallacy. Realistically, that post was a classic example of an argument "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing," and probably not worth my time... but I just didn't have it in me to let the factual errors and hyperbole go entirely unanswered.