Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has released a free iOS app called Music Memos that enables musicians and songwriters to record and analyze high-quality, uncompressed audio using the iPhone's built-in microphone, or an external microphone. The app is currently rolling out on the App Store worldwide.

Music-Memos-Apple.jpg

Music Memos displays a small recording button when first opened, along with a waveform at the bottom of the screen while recording. The app can analyze rhythm and chords of acoustic guitar and piano recordings, and instantly add drums and a bass line to provide a virtual, customizable backing band.
Music Memos automatically analyzes the basic arrangement and suggests chords you played for each track. Then you can hear how your music sounds with a realistic virtual drummer and bass player jamming along. If your performance speeds up or slows down, so does the band. You can even tweak the energy and performance of the drums or bass with a few simple controls.
Music Memo, which Apple says was inspired by Voice Memos, can tag songs based on sound, location or a rating, and recordings can be shared on Apple Music Connect, SoundCloud and YouTube. The app is closely integrated with GarageBand for iOS, which has received a major update today.

GarageBand 2.1 for iOS introduces Live Loops, a new feature for creating music by tapping cells and columns in a grid to trigger different looped instruments and samples. Live Loops includes a preset library of Apple-designed loop templates in multiple genres, including EDM, Hip Hop, Dubstep and Rock, or you can create your own.

GarageBand-2-1-iOS.jpg

The new GarageBand for iOS also adopts the Drummer feature from GarageBand and Logic Pro X on Mac, with nine EDM and acoustic virtual session drummers to choose from. The app also gained 3D Touch support, new automation features for advanced users, a new simple EQ and more.

Music Memos is free on the App Store for iPhone 4s and later, and iPad 2 and later. GarageBand 2.1 for iOS is bundled free with new iOS devices 32GB and larger, is available as a free upgrade for existing users with compatible iOS 9 devices or later, and is otherwise available for $4.99 on the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Music Memos' App, Releases Major 'GarageBand for iOS' Update

Reactions: appledefenceforce

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Ahhhhhhh YES.

As a musician who has used the stock Voice Memos app since 2009 to create over 4,000 recordings which have helped me write a bunch of songs, I'm excited.

The stock app is garbage—especially since iOS 7—and I've been waiting for sync that was decoupled from the mess that is iTunes since before iCloud was launched.

Woo!

Last edited:

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Glad to see Apple hasn't completely forgotten about musicians. The musician in me was starting to feel like what Mac Pro users must be feeling right now.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

Apple today announced it has released a free iOS app called Music Memos that enables musicians and songwriters to record and analyze high-quality, uncompressed audio using the iPhone's built-in microphone, or an external microphone. The app is currently rolling out on the App Store worldwide.

Music-Memos-Apple.jpg

Music Memos displays a large recording button when first opened, along with a waveform at the bottom of the screen while recording. The app can analyze rhythm and chords of acoustic guitar and piano recordings, and instantly add drums and a bass line to provide a virtual, customizable backing band.Music Memo, which Apple says was inspired by Voice Memos, can tag songs based on sound, location or a rating, and recordings can be shared on Apple Music Connect, SoundCloud and YouTube. The app is closely integrated with GarageBand for iOS, which has received a major update today.

GarageBand 2.1 for iOS introduces Live Loops, a new feature for creating music by tapping cells and columns in a grid to trigger different looped instruments and samples. Live Loops includes a preset library of Apple-designed loop templates in multiple genres, including EDM, Hip Hop, Dubstep and Rock, or you can create your own.

GarageBand-2-1-iOS.jpg

The new GarageBand for iOS also adopts the Drummer feature from GarageBand and Logic Pro X on Mac, with nine EDM and acoustic virtual session drummers to choose from. The app also gained 3D Touch support, new automation features for advanced users, a new simple EQ and more.

Music Memos is free on the App Store for iPhone 4s and later, and iPad 2 and later. GarageBand 2.1 for iOS is bundled free with new iOS devices 32GB and larger, is available as a free upgrade for existing users with compatible iOS 9 devices or later, and is otherwise available for $4.99 on the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Music Memos' App, Releases Major 'GarageBand for iOS' Update

This app must have been designed with singing in the shower in mind. More evidence that the next iPhone will be waterproof.

Reactions: orbital~debris

GrinningShark

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
This must be music software update day at Apple...

They also released a solid update to Logic Pro X today (Version 10.2.1)...

• New multi-threading feature improves performance when processing multiple live channels
• Faster playback responsiveness when previewing Apple Loops and performing region edits
• Flex Pitch editing can be performed within the Tracks area using a Piano Roll interface
• A collection of 30 plug-ins have been redesigned to add Retina support and improve usability
• Numerous improvements to Alchemy including Apple Loops support and 11 new spectral effects
• Improved reliability when downloading additional content
• Additional content can be downloaded directly from the Sound Library and Apple Loops browsers
• Drum Machine Designer supports drag and drop of multiple audio files
• The Step Editor can automatically create lanes to display all MIDI events in a region
• New export option allows you to to create stems from multiple selected tracks
• Improved VoiceOver support

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
GarageBand is probably one of the most complex iOS app from Apple. It's also my favorite iPad app (it's amazing that they can make the whole app work also on the iPhone but to me it's on the iPad that it shines).

While some professionals might complain about it missing x or y feature, it's still a very in-depth app with tons of features and options, especially now with audio plug-in support.

Now if I can put aside enough money to buy an iPad pro...

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
They should've enabled the ability to create and save ringtones directly from the Music Memos app. That would've made this app an instant download for many people.

I can't imagine that many people are actually purchasing ringtones from Apple for up to $1.29 each and they already allow ringtone creation apps from third parties. Having the ability to create ringtones natively on the iPhone would be so much better than having to use third-party apps to do it and then syncing with iTunes to get the ringtone over to the phone.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
You can also connect external microphones / audio interfaces to the iPhone using the USB adapter.

Reactions: Codeseven

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
As someone who has zero musical ability, I find this really cool but dont know if it actually is! I will be looking out for reviews.
[doublepost=1453311293][/doublepost]As someone who has zero musical ability, I find this really cool but dont know if it actually is! I will be looking out for reviews.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And this is the Apple people love.
Except of course when it showed up in people's Twitter feeds but they can't find it in the App Store. If you do an App Store search on Music Memos nothing shows up. But if you go to featured and tap on apps made by Apple then it shows up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.