Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikahlberg

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
They also dropped the 16 GB 5th generation model, so the starting price there is now $299 instead of $249.

I got a 4th gen at Christmas which I adore, except for the anemic rear camera. Apple now has refurb 4th gen models at $179 for 32 GB. A good deal... but we don't know yet if the 4th gen will support the next version of iOS.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Since it replace 4th gen iPod touch, it makes sense imho.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
So, for $70 you get an extra 16 GB of memory and the camera. But on the iPad line, You pay an extra hundred dollars for 16 GB of memory. They really need to fix the pricing on the iPads with extra memory.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Maybe its a sign of the design of the rumored cheap iPhone?

FYI I'd pay a little more for the 32Gb with better camera and color options.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What a great little product.

I do love my 5th gen touch though as the camera on it easily beats my Nexus 4 and the extra grunt of the a5 processor makes it more pleasing to use compared to my iPhone 4.

I don't leave home without my 5th gen touch any more though. It's a handy little device to have.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
While I wouldn't necessarily get one, I don't think it's a bad product. It's just one of many iPod models depending on your wants and $$$.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Don't really see the point of them anymore myself, gotta have a smartphone, don't need both.

Maybe for kids?

What they should do is make the speakers better like on my HTC One, up the storage as well, then I could see the point at that price. As it stands if I wanted something for just music an old Android phone with a 64gb microSD sounds much more attractive...and cheaper

But the iPod touch also runs all the ios apps.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah that would be a bit underwhelming. "Here's our latest product, we've removed the camera and halved the storage capacity. Moving on..."

Possibly they were working on putting together or rehearsing Tim's keynote for WWDC and he realizes "Crap, I don't have much to say about this. Let's just release it now so I don't have to talk about it later."

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Quietest apple launch ever!

Like what the heck - really doesn't make any sense. WWDC is in 2 weeks!

Not unveiling something really new here. They will mention it at WWDC, but try don't need to wait until it for them to release a stripped down version of something already released.

-------------
This is interesting. This might mean the stripped down iPhone could replace older models in the iPhone lineup in nonemerging markets too.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
....they would end support for it just two weeks after discontinuing production - although defo won't support 3GS.

It is a possibility. Remember Apple skipped a year were the 4th gen iPod touch didn't up. The hardware in the 4th gen dates from 2010. It has been almost 3 years. Although if iPhone 4 is supported likely 4th gen Touch would be too.

More likely though some aspects of iOS 7 won't work. It may run an iOS 7 subset but all the "features" wouldn't be there. Apple has definitely done that before. There is a good chance there is hardware in the 4th gen Touch (e.g., back camera) that Apple doesn't want to spend time and effort porting parts of iOS7 to.

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
I'm still baffled that people buy these things anyway. For kids? I guess, but doesn't the iPad mini seem like a better deal? Especially now that it still has a camera! I would say this finally puts the kibash on the original iPod!
Bring on the big hardware updates!!!

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Don't really see the point of them anymore myself, gotta have a smartphone, don't need both.

Maybe for kids?

What they should do is make the speakers better like on my HTC One, up the storage as well, then I could see the point at that price. As it stands if I wanted something for just music an old Android phone with a 64gb microSD sounds much more attractive...and cheaper

Yes because you see all kinds of people listening to their music without headphones or bluetooth. Seriously, Doesn't Android have a board you can go discuss your love for all things Android?. The HTC One is a nice looking phone. Looks like an iPhone.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I wish they had done this at the launch of the current generation iPod Touch. I needed to get the new screen size for game development, and the cheapest Touch was so expensive that it was cheaper to get an iPhone 5 and trade in my iPhone 4.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I thought they wouldn't make a bad product for market share. Bad move Apple.

It's not a bad product. It's one that I'm sure many people will buy who have no need for a camera.

Actually for me the most interesting part in this announcement is how accurate this Ming-Chi Kuo was!

I was thinking the same thing!

Wonder if iOS7 will run on 4th gen iPod touch.

The discussion about this is above your comment.

What an odd thing to launch just before WWDC and why?

Again, read the 2 pages before your comment.

Overall, I think it's a great new addition to the iOS lineup. I also like the black front and silver chamfered edge and back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.