Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazoski

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Maybe its a sign of the design of the rumored cheap iPhone?

FYI I'd pay a little more for the 32Gb with better camera and color options.

How much more?
$20 for a refurb. Twice the memory and a
5 megapixel camera for $249.
Pretty much a no brainer.
My daughter ordered one yesterday to replace her 32gb gen 4. She hated the lousy 0.7 megapixel camera on it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm still baffled that people buy these things anyway. For kids? I guess, but doesn't the iPad mini seem like a better deal? Especially now that it still has a camera! I would say this finally puts the kibash on the original iPod!
Bring on the big hardware updates!!!

Kids, people who want a real iOS device, don't need a camera and don't have gobs of money to blow, people who want a cheap portable gaming device and don't want to spend 300+ for one.

It baffles me that people can't think outside of their own needs to fathom a product that can suit others.

This iPod doesn't fit my needs at all but I can see it's place in the world.

dj95

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
They could be doing this so that they no longer have to support the 4th gen with iOS updates as it won't be sold when iOS 7 is released. It makes sense seeing as any new features would likely been limited if not removed just so it could run on the older hardware. Plus they wouldn't want a repeat of the iPhone 3G update disaster :rolleyes:

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Seriously ?

Maybe peoples who simply don't care about taking picture. I have an iPhone 4 and I hardly ever use the camera.

The iPod Touch is more about a music/video player, gaming device and "wifi hotspot" internet device. There is so many usage to this thing that don't need a camera.

I agree with DM / can't see the notion that it doesn't "need" a camera. These are pocket everything devices. To Apple's credit, they last years, grow with users and get passed down. Three kids - 4, 6, 10 - all use their camera a lot on their iOS devices. It's surprising that whatever the few dollar cost delta was, it was compelling enough. Perhaps it's not so much thew few dollars, but the need to intentionally handicap the lower cost line to deter taking away from sales of other devices with the camera / push the purchaser up the line.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
will this be like the iPhone 3GS replacement? doing something on the cheap with no camera on back?

Seems silly the price is "as high as it is"

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
For the money its competing with the other handhelds, a great gaming handheld at the price. The front camera is also quite decent.

I have the 32gb 5th gen model and I am quite impressed with it.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I never got the idea of the iPod Touch. Looks like an iPhone, but can't be used as a phone.

And what's the point of a music player with only 16GB of storage, given that flash memory costs virtually nothing these days ? The package is unbalanced. Looks like a Porsche with a 10l tank.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I never got the idea of the iPod Touch. Looks like an iPhone, but can't be used as a phone.

And what's the point of a music player with only 16GB of storage, given that flash memory costs virtually nothing these days ? The package is unbalanced. Looks like a Porsche with a 10l tank.

Cheaper then an iPhone.

The memory is a fair point, we are still stuck on low memory after years and the jumps from 16GB to 32GB are small these days, it is just an easy thing to market for a inflated price increase. (Of course all companies do this)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm still baffled that people buy these things anyway. For kids? I guess, but doesn't the iPad mini seem like a better deal? Especially now that it still has a camera! I would say this finally puts the kibash on the original iPod!
Bring on the big hardware updates!!!

The ipad mini costs $100 more than the ipod touch. Not to mention some people may actually want a small, slim player they can keep in their jeans pockets.

Shame it still has a front-facing camera, else that would enable me to bring it into my army camp when I go back for reservist (no camera-devices allowed).

The ipad mini probably offers better value for money overall, but I would stop short of saying that it is the obviously superior choice.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Kids, people who want a real iOS device, don't need a camera and don't have gobs of money to blow, people who want a cheap portable gaming device and don't want to spend 300+ for one.

It baffles me that people can't think outside of their own needs to fathom a product that can suit others.

This iPod doesn't fit my needs at all but I can see it's place in the world.

The world definitely revolves around individual people, doesn't it? That's just how people are...especially on MR it would seem. If a product doesn't EXACTLY fit someones specific usage scenario, it is immediately and mercilessly deemed "crap".

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Actually for me the most interesting part in this announcement is how accurate this Ming-Chi Kuo was!

Idk why people are ignoring this. He's usually right...

And people are still in denial about a lower cost iPhone to replace the iPhone 4/4S. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Always look at past rumors to see how accurate these new ones are.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I can see why it was extremely quiet because it is a more limited model at a cheaper price point to fill that gap. Like people said there are places that take issue with camera devices so it could be handy for different people. Of course many will think since the memory is less (not much cost there) it should still have the camera and cost $229 and I will likely agree with that too some degree. This time they removed something other then memory to create a price difference, it even makes more sense as flash memory from 16GB to 32GB is NOT costly at all.

On a personal level, no stand alone music player is really needed with smartphones.

iPod Touch is about not having to pay the "iPhone tax" on the phone bill!

This certainly was a shock when I opened up MR. I wonder if it's any indication that the 4th Gen will not run iOS 7??

It still has a camera.

True... but how odd/difficult would it be attempting to take pictures of things with the screen facing away from you... Plus it would be quite noticable.

However, if there is a "no camera" policy then you are probably right that it wouldn't be allowed, regardless of how silly taking pictures with it would be...

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Seriously ?

Maybe peoples who simply don't care about taking picture. I have an iPhone 4 and I hardly ever use the camera.

But you would really forego it all together?

Think about the people who tend to own iPod Touch: high school students. They take a ton of pictures.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Being an owner if the 199 iPod Touch 4, and loving it, this was a mistake by apple. The 4th gen phones and touches were a better build quality.. With steel, etc. the 5th gen stuff uses cheaper aluminum and scratches . Also lost a camera. In my pinion 199 was the best price for best build iPod Touch 4

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Being an owner if the 199 iPod Touch 4, and loving it, this was a mistake by apple. The 4th gen phones and touches were a better build quality.. With steel, etc. the 5th gen stuff uses cheaper aluminum and scratches . Also lost a camera. In my pinion 199 was the best price for best build iPod Touch 4

:confused: The steel back is the easiest to scratch material Apple has ever used on their products.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I think this gives us a good clue as to what they're going to do later this year.

iPhone 5 = scaled down version of the current model with 16GB version only to replace the iPhone 4 and 4s for pre-paid customers or free on contract.

iPhone 5s = upgraded version of the current model with 32GB, 64GB and 128GB versions in a range of colours.

I also think they may drop the "touch" name and just call it the iPod, drop the iPod classic and upgrade the current iPod with 32GB, 64GB and 128GB versions.

I don't think the rumoured cheaper plastic iPhone will see the light of day this year.

I'm sure they'll upgrade the current iPhone to a larger screen next year with the iPhone 6. That way they can re-position the iPhone 5 as the iPhone mini next year alongside the bigger screen main iPhone.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The ipad mini costs $100 more than the ipod touch. Not to mention some people may actually want a small, slim player they can keep in their jeans pockets.

Shame it still has a front-facing camera, else that would enable me to bring it into my army camp when I go back for reservist (no camera-devices allowed).

The ipad mini probably offers better value for money overall, but I would stop short of saying that it is the obviously superior choice.
Yep they are great for the office and gym, I hate when my music in interrupted by a phone call.

lovemyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Hmmmm..

I love that Apple did this. They should do this type of thing with more products, change up they way they release new products.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
No camera on an ipod touch? Why? What is the point? Seems like a step backwards to me. No camera on the ipod nano or shuffle makes sense. But to take it away from the iPod touch just to sell it at a slightly lower price point is like crippling it for no reason. Apple should be beefing up its camera angle on the iPod touch...not taking it away. A person who wants an iPod touch over a shuffle or nano WANTS to take pics. They want to be able to post stuff on Facebook or send pics to friends.

I read that iPod sales are tanking, so lowering the price makes sense. But don't take away the camera to do so! That's just stupid. IMHO.

mwebb

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Good Gaming for Little Kids, Good Backup Computer for Adults

I've looked at my usage patterns and I simply don't use my 5th gen for pictures. When I purchased it, I thought "great, now I don't have to buy a compact camera," but as the built-in smart phone cameras got universally better, I found myself always using the smartphone cameras because I could email the picture or upload it to FB or it would upload itself to whatever cloud I was hooked up to without having to wait for a wifi connection. (My smartphones have been Google Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Lumia 620, all off contract).

What I DO use the Touch for is music (I almost died paying the price for the 64gb edition, but I knew the whole point was to have a device that could store enough music locally) & Kindle - it is great for both. If I am lazy in the morning I read FB updates, GMail, and browse blogs in the browser, but honestly it is a pretty tiny screen for these purposes and really makes my eyes and fingers (double tap and pinch zoom and scroll) work out. If the Mini had Retina, I would have ditched the Touch for these secondary purposes a long time ago (but not for Kindle and Music, simply because the Touch is "palm" sized and the Mini is still less "handy").

But what ultimately keeps the Touch in my gadget ecosystem is its amazing ability to serve as a secure back-up computer if I am on the road and my cellphone is grabbed out of my hands, or my laptop is stolen out of my hotel safe/luggage etc. Think about it - there are banking apps, stock trading apps, the browser will get you to all your key websites - it can actually serve as a (somewhat painfully small) computer until I am re-connected with something larger. What a great 3.10 ounce investment (3.04 ounce for the new one). When I travel to SE Asia, where the carriers allow you to tether/hotspot since they are on gb plans and not unlimited, I log out of my GMail and Chrome Sync just in case my phone is grabbed out of my hand while still on, and know that I can use the hotspot feature to use the Touch back at the hotel, if the wifi at the hotel is dodgy. Voila, some degree of security.

For these uses - the new A5-chipped Touch is just fine, and 16gb is enough to download a reasonably culled selection of music when I can't use a cloud player.

BUT FOR KIDS AND TEENAGERS there could be some problems. Keeping the front facing camera was brilliant, because my family has gotten hooked on FaceTime - it is a lot easier to use than Google's video. (And in the Apple app universe I still have Talkatone and Viber for calls, messages.) BUT the resolution is too low for good "selfies" or self portraits which teenagers love. And for kids - sub 10 y.o., as my two are (6 and 9) - the memory is too low. Both my kids download big games and have to unload existing games on their 16gb iDevices (iPad2, iPad Mini).

So while this is a great device, I would have liked to have seen a couple of changes -

+ start at 32 gb - ditching the rear camera was enough of a product differentiator;
+ upgrade the front camera - this should have been done across the line - to at least 3 megapixel, for good "selfies" even if the resolution was restricted to HD (1.2 mp) for FaceTime (and a front flash would be brilliant!;

- or -

+ just keep the price at $199, it would be very appealing at that price, to have access to the App Store game universe which is still lagging on Android tablets.

But I'm sure Apple knows there market much better than me. If I didn't already own a 5th gen, I would wait for these to either go on sale at Christmas (you know, the Target etc. "gift card with purchase" deals) or buy a refurb. For $199 what can match it? - there simply isn't anything in the "palm sized" niche in Android (other than a phone, usually at a much higher cost).

BTW I got the Lumia 620 simply because it would take a 64gb micro SD card, on which I could load all my music. It cost about the same price as this new Touch - I used it for a phone in Asia, and as a "sort of" Touch (music player, Kindle, emergency browsing) on wifi only over here. Storage didn't mean as much to me before, it means a lot to me now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.