Apple Launches New USB-C Accessories for USB-C iPad Pro Models

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the launch of new iPad Pro models equipped with USB-C, Apple today debuted several new adapters designed to work with the USB-C interface.

There's a new 1m USB-C Charge Cable, priced at $19, along with a USB-C to SD Card Reader priced at $39.

[​IMG]

Apple has also introduced a $9 USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter to allow standard 3.5mm headphones to be connected to the tablet, which no longer features a headphone jack.

Last week, Apple introduced a 0.3m USB-C version of the Apple Watch charger, which will work with the new iPad Pro models. The iPad Pro with USB-C is able to charge an Apple Watch or an iPhone over a USB-C cable.

Apple has also debuted a new 61W MacBook Pro power adapter, but it's not clear what's different about it.

All of the new accessories are available for purchase starting today and will be delivered by the end of the week.

Article Link: Apple Launches New USB-C Accessories for USB-C iPad Pro Models

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I need a headphone adapter and a USBC to A adapter.

Edit... is the iPad coming with a charging cable ?

3. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Yup. Lots of dongles hanging off the new iPad Pro, for the professional musician and audio pro. MacBook Air might be a better option now. Strange they found room to keep the headphone jack on it.

Well, at least now there’s an iOS device on which native headphones can be used on a Mac as well. Still need a dongle for the iPhone regardless, and can USB-C headphones be used on an iPhone at all?

4. michael31986 macrumors 68040

5. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The headphone jack adapter should be included in the iPad by default.

6. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Can't imagine next year's iPhone will still have lightning.

7. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Hopefully these accessories will work with the 2019 USB-C iPhone.

8. Relentless Power, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say the iPad is definitely leading where the iPhone might be migrating towards USB-C, and in some respects, its about time.

9. MiBook84 macrumors regular

Also a 18W USB-C charger, will be beneficial for many iPhone XS /XS Max users as well.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Isn’t this a very dumb move by Apple? It makes XS and XR looks outdated with “old and proprietary” Lightning port? And they were barely a month old?

I’m all in for USB-C port as it will be widely available and open standard, but iPad Pro will be the bastard child of iOS hardware.

Now if you own the new XS Max and iPad Pro, you have to carry around TWO type of cables, dongles and wired headphones .. WTF?!!?

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

So excited to finally see USB-C coming to Apple products!

12. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I wonder if you can use these on a Mac w/ USB-C?

13. err404 macrumors 68020

Isn’t this the case with any change to the connector? This happened with lightning, micro USB and now USB C.
    At least we are moving towards a cross industry solution this time.

14. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

I hope this marks the end for Lightning and I thought they should have moved to USB-C when they dropped the headphone jack, especially since the impending MacBook Pros we’re going all USB-C.

15. chabig macrumors 603

Yes you can.

16. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Adding insult to injury there, Apple.

17. MiBook84 macrumors regular

Easier to change it on iPad and for good reason. Meaning external support for 4K and usb devices. Not the same requirements for an iPhone. And now people are prepared. I think they want to avoid causing angry mobs and also give car manufacturers and other accessories makers to adapt to the change.

18. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Wonder if USB sticks will be readable in the files app finally?

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Gawd...wouldn't that be nice. Right now the reader is functionally useless.

20. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I don't see why they would. The inability to read USB sticks directly is a deliberate software restriction, not a hardware limitation.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

It’s the next step in the evolution of the iPad into a professional computing platform. For all the talk about Apple replacing Intel chips in the Mac, it’s much more likely that Apple will keep boosting the iPad Pro’s capabilities. A12X Fusion is faster than 92% of notebooks, but it isn’t fast enough for desktop Macs or even the 15” MacBook Pro.

22. 827538 macrumors 65816

I think it’s simply Apple transitioning to a full USB-C portfolio.

The iPad was due for a redesign hence they chose to include USB-C. I fully expect next years redesigned iPhone to have USB-C now.

23. bluespark macrumors 68000

Let's just hope it has USB-C rather than no port at all.

24. kendriel3 Suspended

I was beginning to think Apple had forgotten about its dongles

25. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Yeah well 2018 will be the most confusing years for iPhone and iPad buyers. It feels like they use Android and iOS at the same time..

It also gives reason for many customers to simply delay their iPhone purchase plan since you know Lightning is going away for good.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    It also means that XS and XR becomes a bad purchase since it may be one of the latest tech relic to use the Lightning port