Apple Launches New USB-C Accessories for USB-C iPad Pro Models

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What in the world does USB C have to do with making a phone “feel” like using Android? Nonsense.

Please share your stats/source for the “many” who will delay their phone purchase. And enlighten us as to why an XS/XR is now a “bad purchase”. More nonsense.

If Apple phases out Lightning in the next gen iPhones, it will be several years before Lightning accessories disappear, and unless Apple somehow locks them out of the ecosystem, Lightning devices and accessories will theoretically be viable for as long as the device lives.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Fly360 macrumors newbie

Fly360

Not really because it will sell more airpods.

4. nutmac macrumors 601

That's frankly all I want to buy today (I will buy new Mac mini when my current dies). It's not yet on the Apple Store though.

5. odedia macrumors 65816

Would my existing USB-C to HDMI and / or VGA adapters work with the new iPad? I suspect that Thunderbolt 3 is required, which is not present in the iPad Pro.

6. iSayuSay, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Well if I own an iPhone and iPad, I expect them to come with one uniform cable, which used to be Lightning.

Because they both made by Apple, use the same OS that communicates well and again, should come with the same port.

If you buy XS Max now, and get the new iPad Pro later it means you have to carry around BOTH lightning and USB-C port, which makes me feel as if I own OnePlus and iPhone. Make sense to you?

Of course Lightning accessories will still be available for some time, but Apple should’ve ditched it by iPhone event last September.

Did you remember what was the first Apple device that uses the new Lightning port back in 2012? Yes, please think again really really hard.

Why would I buy the latest iPhone that has different port with my latest iPad? One of the point for getting into Apple ecosystem is so I dont have to carry around various charging cables and different tip of dongles? Make sense to you? It should

7. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Aka, growing pains.

Apple could've relinquished rights to the lightning technology six years ago - at least the cables would be better.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I cant wait for this thing to ship so that people can start posting what USB-C peripherals will work with the iPad Pro.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

To be fair, USB-C wasn't available in 2012. In fact Lightning port was the reason USB-C exist in the first place. A secured, universal port that you may plug both ways. This is indeed a growing pains for Apple users. There's also the fact that many, many non iOS products use Lightning port. Apple TV Remote, old Apple Pencil, Magic Keyboard/Mouse/TrackPad, and of course AirPods stuck in the past with the first kick of USB-C on iPad Pro.

10. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

That is my point - if Apple gave up the propriety-rights very early, most systems would be lighting linked. It feels very solid vs USB-C.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Agreed, Lightning port is a very solid build compared to flimsy USB-C. But Apple is being the usual Apple, they wouldn't license it for USB-IF.

12. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Like the Fire-wire series. Apple still has to learn from Sony's mistakes.

13. jaknudsen macrumors member

jaknudsen

USB-C is not flimsy.

14. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

It is flimsy, when compared to the lightning port - that is the meat of the post.

15. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

What is the need for including and selling different wattage power adapters for Mac laptops? Why not just make a single power adapter for all Mac laptops which use the same connector? So only 1 USB-C and only 1 Magsafe 2 power adapter. It would result in less inventory so stores don't have to carry 6 different power adapters for Mac laptops, nor would customers have to specify what size laptop they have.

I know that some people will use size as a reason for the different laptop power adapters. Honestly, is the 60 watt MacBook Pro adapter really so much smaller than the 87 watt adapter to justify its existence?

Another consequence of having all these different power adapters for Mac laptops:
    I have actually seen people argue that using a higher wattage power adapter causes the MacBook to use more power than it was designed to handle, thus damaging the laptop.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

At the very least they could have given us a USB-C to Lightning adapter. It would be tiny and let you use a lightning cable to charge your new iPad Pro, and use lightning headphones as well.

Hell, such an adapter would let you use lightning headphones on Macs; that would have been a slam dunk. Why don't they think about these things?

17. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The 60W charger will get damaged if used to charge the bigger MacBook Pro. The 87W charger should not damage the Air.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I don’t see a USB-A adapter— does this mean the new Pros can only cable to a Mac with USB-C?

I don’t plan to get a new Mac for a while...

On a related note, does iTunes still insist on putting Mobile Backups on the boot drive? That’s gonna hurt w/ a 1TB iPad...

19. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I've had this issue since Apple first dropped the headphone jack on the iPhone 7. There is NO way to use a pair of Lightning headphones on a Mac, or any other non-Lightning device. That's absolutely perplexing to me. I maybe understand the engineering being too costly to create a device for using Lightning headphones with a 3.5mm jack, but I don't understand not having one for USB-C at minimum. There are some nice Lightning headphones on the market, yet no adapter to use them on all of Apple's products. The only way to carry one set of wired headphones for every Apple device is to go back to the 3.5mm headphones, and use the Lightning adapter with the iPhone 7, and now a separate USB-C adapter with the iPad Pro. So to use one set of headphones, you have to go back to the 3.5mm technology Apple is dropping, and carry two adapters if you buy the new iPad Pro.

20. chabig macrumors 603

Apple has been selling a USB-A adapter for the past two years.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So let me get this right...

Apple sells iPhones. Headphones that come with the iPhones can in no way, shape or form, be used on new iPads (which of course do not come with headphones) as there's no Lightning-to-USBC headphone adapter.

So to use the headphones on the new iPads, one must by analog headphones... which cannot be used on iPhones unless one buys another, different adapter. Since the iPhones don't come with one.

Yes, I get that Apple wants everyone to buy AirPods.

Still incredibly moronic.

22. chabig macrumors 603

It's temporary.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Well the moronic part is that the iPad Pro and the Mac actually do need wired headphones for some applications, because they are both intended for use as computers. The iPhone really doesn't and isn't.

The best part is that Apple didn't introduce a pair of USB-C EarPods either. At least there is a USB-C to Lightning adapter. That would have really simplified the situation.

So the real question is whether Apple intends to offer USB-C earphones, or Lightning headphone to USB-C adapters.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    How so? It's been several years since the iPhone 7 dropped the headphone jack, and there's still no way to use Lightning headphones with anything else besides a device with a Lightning port.

24. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

One that allows connecting a USB-C peripheral (iPad) to a USB-A only Mac?

That was the question.

25. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

They expect you to use AirPods, or Beats. Not the $5 headphones that come for free in the iPhone box.