Apple Launches New USB-C Accessories for USB-C iPad Pro Models

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is one more reason why my next phone may not be an iPhone. I can use USB-C audio on my laptop (plus 3.5mm of course). If I could use it on my phone, and on the iPad, then problem is solved.

If I stick with Apple, I'd need 3.5mm analog headphones plus two adapters - one Lightning for the iPhone and one USB-C for the iPad. One was messy but, ok, whatevs. Two is just dumb.

Guess what Apple - I'll switch to a different phone and I can stick to just USB-C headphones, and won't have to try to juggle multiple adapters.

2. 827538 macrumors 65816

It's not like they stop working when the new ones come out.
    Personally I'm fully invested in USB-C so I'm quite happy for them to change. But I don't see how releasing iPhones in 2019 with a USB-C port somehow makes this years iPhones relics? The only time I really even use lightning is when I charge my phone at night.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    You realize next year Apple will likely have an all USB-C lineup?
    So for me it would be USB-C MacBook, iPhone, AirPods case. I'm quite looking forward to that.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I hope that's true. I would have been mostly fine with all Lightning (the addition of a Lightning audio port on the MacBooks would have been great, BTW).
    All USB-C would be better. It's too bad they were so short sighted and couldn't do it all at once.

4. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

The real question: why are you using 3.5mm headphones? If you’re a serious audio nut, you’d be using a portable DAC.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm just talking about quick & dirty audio. High-end is less of a problem than, say, airport/airplane audio and juggling three different standards.

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

You don’t have to. I use wireless headphones.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Surely it's not. In fact Lightning accessories may still be around for a good number of years. But this new iPad Pro gives a new pack of dongles, chargers and cables headache. So when I travel I need to rethink which dongles or cables I need to carry for my new iPhone and iPad.

Again, I'm not against USB-C. I just wish Apple started USB-C phasing with 2018 iPhone lineups instead of iPad Pro. Did you know iPhone 5 along with iPod Touch and Nano was the first Apple product to use the Lightning port? Just a month later, the iPad 4th gen followed suit, and so on. That was a pretty smooth transition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)#History

For someone like me who's deeply invested in Apple products, this is very annoying. Just more cable to deal with.

8. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

9. 827538 macrumors 65816

I agree its not an ideal solution to have a staggered change but it is what it is.
    I'll likely be replacing my MacBook and iPhone next year anyway so I'll be 100% USB-C hopefully. Will likely get the second gen AirPods when they arrive too.

My wife will buy the new iPad so it will be nice to be completely onboard with the standard. Even our camera and external SSD are USB-C.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

And what port did your "wireless headphones" come with? There's Airpods and BeatsX that comes with Lightning port, and also another bunch that come with microUSB. Few has USB-C. Nevertheless, you need to bring the whole new set of cables and adapters.

11. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

12. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

They last all day on a charge for me (BeatsX).

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Like I said, I know Apple wants everyone to use AirPods, and f-'em if they don't, but it's not always that simple.
    I have a pair of AirPods. Sometimes I simply don't have them on me...

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

But you always have wired headphones?

15. iSayuSay, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

That is a sweet headphones. But I was talking about wireless ones.

My strategy would be waiting for next iPhones to come with USB-C and then I can start thinking about upgrading and ditching Lightning completely.

Right now my travel pack contained with 8 Plus and 10.5" iPad Pro which is fantastic with my BeatsX. All three use Lightning, which works with my battery pack (which also has Lightning input) and 2 sets of Lightning cables along with dual 2.4A USB wall charger. Ready to take on the world wherever I go. Everything is great together until you put USB-C into the equation.

See how many times I said Lightning? LOL

16. redpandadev macrumors regular

Solution 1: iCloud syncing and backup.

2TB is $9.99/mo or $119.98 looked at yearly. The money you save on adaptors, external hard drive, and your own time will surely pay it off. Also more sound as it provides off site backup and remote access to data at no additional cost.

If you need more storage than the 2TB iCloud can offer, you surely have a much more advanced (probably NAS) system in place...

If you are concerned about security and/or privacy, ok, I can potentially buy that, but short of running your own server in your own home you aren't going to beat iCloud. Even running your own server in your own home, the data is traveling over your ISP (and many others'), so it isn't going to be much better.

Alternatively, if you can manage to connect them (an off the shelf USB-C to USB-A cable should work: External Storage

You can move MobileBackups to an external by utilizing a symlink (not Alias).

You can use several widely available third-party tools that can kick off an iOS device backup (and not third party, Apple Configurator).

17. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I'll be interested to hear if anyone tries a male-to-male C-to-A cable and how it turns out. Maybe it's just something that works as part of the USB spec, but if it requires software support and Apple isn't providing a cable for this situation, I can't bank on them supporting it.

I'm not backing up my iOS devices to the cloud. I have a hard drive, that's what it's for. I don't need to put a bunch of network equipment and a server farm in between.

I can probably back up over WiFi to my local iTunes though, which is fine assuming I can also transfer files to and from the device that way as well.

What I want to have a direct wire for though, is Duet. It's very convenient to be able to have a second display next to my laptop.

I do have a symlink to a secondary drive for my MobileBackups folder, but that seems beyond the typical user. They really should either let you choose a location for backups in the preferences, or include the backups in the iTunes library which they already let you store elsewhere. For the average user, buying a terabyte SSD to boot from only to find that most of it is used to store a series of copies of you iPad data has to be frustrating...

18. jabbawok macrumors 6502

jabbawok

Agreed.
    I use a Fiio μBTR for casual use and a Fiio Q1 for more serious listening. Also a selection of cheaper bluetooth earbuds that I leave in my car and my desk at work amongst other places. I recently got a BT receiver for my customer IEMs and it supports AAC so the quality is pretty good on that too.
    I'm more bothered by the lack of AptX than the 3.5mm jack.

19. Kiwidave15 macrumors newbie

20. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

21. Kiwidave15 macrumors newbie

It is odd that there is no cable in the apple store that is USBC to USBA male for connecting the new Ipad to a computer for syncing?
    I assume a standard cable will work, but thought Apple would have one available.

22. michael31986 macrumors 68040

23. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Nope. They want you to buy a brand new USB-C device. They don't want to have to convert from Lightning to USB-C.

24. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Dumb but true I guess

25. cocoua macrumors regular

cocoua

Usb 3.1 speed for backups pleaseeeeeeeee
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 ---
    As someone said above, iPhne needs are different feom iPad (connect to cameras, screen etc) and many other manufacturers as car industry has adoptep lighting BUT the move in the iPad is so so shicking, that I wish iPhone adopt usb c also.

This would be a step back for Apple, the “i’ve been wrong just one time company” (mac pro)