Apple Launches 'OS X Server' for Mountain Lion for $19.99

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alongside Mountain Lion 10.8, Apple released the server component as a separate generic app called OS X Server.
    OS X Server requires Mountain Lion 10.8 and adds server functionality to OS X. [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Apple Launches 'OS X Server' for Mountain Lion for $19.99

2. Minority_taxi macrumors regular

Minority_taxi

Well that sux to us people who own the server edition of the Mac mini and now we have to pay twice as much to keep it a server!

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Interesting that OS X server is just an app and no an OS anymore.

4. dra macrumors member

dra

5. Skika macrumors 68030

You don't have to pay anything to keep it as a server. You have to pay to upgrade it to a new version of OS X server.

6. Minority_taxi macrumors regular

Minority_taxi

I sure hope so. So your statement means when I upgrade Mountain Lion it'll keep all my server apps from 10.7 and they will run correctly. Im holding you to those assumptions.

7. shaunp macrumors 68000

You just need to pay the upgrade price, but it's not exactly expensive anyway. Compare it with the price of Windows or RHEL ....

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Twice as much...
    Twice $ 19.99 isn't much at all for a server. Of course... you can debate about the "server-ishness" of it ;)

9. impierced macrumors 6502

impierced

Server.app doesn't have DHCP, NAT, or Firewall...

The help in Server.app says to enable DHCP, simply launch Server Admin and put a check next to the service labeled DHCP. :confused:

10. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

WTF?

Mac OS X Server use to be $499 or something.

Now it's $39.98 ($19.99 + $19.99). Hardly "twice as much".

The price isn't the issue. The fact that 75% of the Server OS had been destroyed since 10.6 is the issue. Apple's wonderful OS X Server "upgrades and enhancements" made it an easy decision for us to start swapping our Xserves with Dell PowerEdge servers loaded with Linux or Windows.

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

12. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Are those supposed to be earthquakes? We're looking at some terrible destruction here, folks.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

14. ristlin Guest

That is sexy.

----------

The likes of which no apocalyptic movie has ever been able to pull off. Well, except maybe for 2012 where the entire planet managed to go to hell in the span of 24 hours.

15. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Can anyone confirm server tools for ML (IE Workgroup Manager, Server admin, etc.) have been discontinued? If so, that sucks. I work in a school district with 9 schools + an admin building. We have 6 building techs who do the first responder stuff with the clients (fix basic problems, create new users, change passwords, etc.). They are given access to WGM for creating new users & changing passwords. We also have 4 district techs who do the higher level stuff (server, network, major hardware repair, etc.) who are given access to all the server tools.

If Server Tools have been discontinued, that's bad for us. On the one hand, the district doesn't want the buildings techs to have full access. to Server.app & all server settings as that just increases the risk of something going wrong.

On the other hand, if we don't allow the building techs any access to Server.app, then it would take hours (if not days) to have the district techs do it. And it's not good to tell a new kid "Sorry, you have to wait a few hours to do log in." That basically wastes the whole school day for that kid.

Agreed. Plus, with the lack of Xserves, it's getting a lot harder to manage services.

16. Minority_taxi macrumors regular

Minority_taxi

I guess I'm saying twice as much cause I own the server mini, but not using it as a server anymore so much of muchness. Guess whoever buys the mini will have to upgrade to server cause I ain't.

17. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

They should give it away for nothing? It's a bargain:

Snow Leopard Server: $499
    Lion Server: $49.99
    Mountain Lion Server: $19.99

18. arvacker macrumors member

What if i bought Lion Server like 2 weeks ago?
    Now 20$ is nothing, but still feels like I spent the 50$ for nothing...
    You think I might be able to get a redeem code, like with a new mac purchase?

19. macsimcon macrumors member

According to the 10.8 Advanced documentation

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/

Server Admin and WGM are deleted when you upgrade from Lion Server to MLS.

20. impierced macrumors 6502

impierced

21. cytomatrix macrumors member

Apple server was a joke even before 10.6.

22. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Oh, you mean we haven't done that a few times over already? :p That gave me a lol-moment. I seriously do love that icon, though.

23. evino526 macrumors newbie

Not feeling a lot of sympathy for you considering we all knew 10.8 was coming out this month and there were a lot of signs pointing to today as a release date for weeks.

24. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My whole house (7 Macs) will be upgraded to Mountain Lion, however my server will stay at Snow Leopard Server as long as possible (until the mini fails, I guess). While Lion didn't remove anything I needed, Mountain Lion server got rid of DHCP server for some reason I can't fathom.

And, of course, each new "server" version adds nothing new I need.

I pity businesses that have used Apple as their server solution. My setup is very basic as far as servers go, and even I see difficulties.

25. impierced macrumors 6502

impierced