Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
I want it in reverse—the case should be the ‘reserve’
Actually you don’t want to use other cases or want it in reverse. The reason is because a regular battery case or one of those usb battery things, when plugged in, makes your phone think it’s on AC charger and all kinds of processes run that don’t run on battery. A smart battery case (Apple) uses the battery in the case first abs the phone knows the battery case is connected and not on an ac charger.
[automerge]1579560715[/automerge]
I had the issue on one I bought last January. It’s been randomly not charging the phone for the past few months. Just made an appointment with Apple this morning and was in and out in 20 minutes.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Has anyone had a problem with a replacement case yet?

I have! It has been randomly not charging my iPhone. One time the replacement came up as "Generic UPS".

Also I'd like to note that it seems that mine was refurbished considering it came out of a white box that my case originally didn't come in.

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
I have! It has been randomly not charging my iPhone. One time the replacement came up as "Generic UPS".

Also I'd like to note that it seems that mine was refurbished considering it came out of a white box that my case originally didn't come in.

That’s annoying. A replacement program that needs a replacement program ?

I just got one from amazon after I heard they fixed the charging issues as I really like the case but intermittent issues were driving me crazy.

I hope the one I have was made after October 2019. However I can’t find anything online that can tell me the production date. So I just hope this one works ok.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
That’s annoying. A replacement program that needs a replacement program ?

I just got one from amazon after I heard they fixed the charging issues as I really like the case but intermittent issues were driving me crazy.

I hope the one I have was made after October 2019. However I can’t find anything online that can tell me the production date. So I just hope this one works ok.

Since I’m off today because of the holiday I am going to give Apple a call and ask them if this refurb was between the affected date. If they give me crap again saying how my iPhone is a X and not a XS then I’m going to flip. They told me upon replacing it the first time that it’s why it broke the first time and I rolled my eyes at them knowing it’s b.s that a case’s battery would self destruct itself from using a different iPhone.
My mom has the XS and I used her iPhone and it happened to her too. So annoying!

here’s a pic Btw of it happening;

54B96B42-A7E2-4716-AF2B-4A02A1B2025A.png

Now it has done this multiple times since replacement and has on occasion at the same time drain my iPhone battery and the case will be 100% and it would be plugged in as well to my wall outlet.
It’s ridiculous..

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Since I’m off today because of the holiday I am going to give Apple a call and ask them if this refurb was between the affected date. If they give me crap again saying how my iPhone is a X and not a XS then I’m going to flip. They told me upon replacing it the first time that it’s why it broke the first time and I rolled my eyes at them knowing it’s b.s that a case’s battery would self destruct itself from using a different iPhone.
My mom has the XS and I used her iPhone and it happened to her too. So annoying!

here’s a pic Btw of it happening;

View attachment 893747
Now it has done this multiple times since replacement and has on occasion at the same time drain my iPhone battery and the case will be 100% and it would be plugged in as well to my wall outlet.
It’s ridiculous..
It sounds like they gave you a faulty case.

there is nothing wrong with using battery case for x as far as I know.

I’ve had my iPhone XS for little over a year now and I am a very heavy user. It’s currently sitting at 90%

I’ve used multiple battery cases from Apple to Mophie, to some random brands like pulse. Whether on not it had an affect on my battery health I couldn’t possibly tell you.

However one thing I’ve noticed is with all iPhones and my use, I lose around 7%-10% a year of battery health no matter what I do.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
It sounds like they gave you a faulty case.

there is nothing wrong with using battery case for x as far as I know.

I’ve had my iPhone XS for little over a year now and I am a very heavy user. It’s currently sitting at 90%

I’ve used multiple battery cases from Apple to Mophie, to some random brands like pulse. Whether on not it had an affect on my battery health I couldn’t possibly tell you.

However one thing I’ve noticed is with all iPhones and my use, I lose around 7%-10% a year of battery health no matter what I do.

my battery capacity is at 86%. I even had a battery replaced under warranty since it was at 80% right before the end of the warranty. They replaced it no questions asked. I feel like I used more cycles after the battery replacement and I’m going 14 months after the replacement, so I think the original was a dud.
But this iPhone X case should work since it fits fine and it’s just the battery.

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
my battery capacity is at 86%. I even had a battery replaced under warranty since it was at 80% right before the end of the warranty. They replaced it no questions asked. I feel like I used more cycles after the battery replacement and I’m going 14 months after the replacement, so I think the original was a dud.
But this iPhone X case should work since it fits fine and it’s just the battery.
What phone do you have?

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
What phone do you have?

Iphone X. I meant to say the Iphone xs case should fit the Iphone X just fine.

So I got off the phone with apple just now and gave them my replacement serial number. The woman on the phone said the manufacture date of the case was June 2019 which falls within the replacement program, thus reasoning why im experiencing the same issues again. I was pretty annoyed when she told me that and she said she would too if she was in my shoes. She set up an appointment with apple for me and even gave the instructions to verify that the next battery case replacement is manufactured after November 2019 (when she said they were fixed). Very satisfied with her handling of this situation.

Its ridiculous though that they were giving replacement cases that are already affected with the issue. They should be having replacements with the fixed new cases.

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Iphone X. I meant to say the Iphone xs case should fit the Iphone X just fine.

So I got off the phone with apple just now and gave them my replacement serial number. The woman on the phone said the manufacture date of the case was June 2019 which falls within the replacement program, thus reasoning why im experiencing the same issues again. I was pretty annoyed when she told me that and she said she would too if she was in my shoes. She set up an appointment with apple for me and even gave the instructions to verify that the next battery case replacement is manufactured after November 2019 (when she said they were fixed). Very satisfied with her handling of this situation.

Its ridiculous though that they were giving replacement cases that are already affected with the issue. They should be having replacements with the fixed new cases.

I just rang Apple and asked them when my case was manufactured that I bought few days ago and they said September 2019.

It’s kinda crazy they are still selling potentially faulty cases to consumers when there is a known fault.

very annoyed about that but I hope mine is going to be fine, I guess I’ll find out in couple of months.

last two cases I had developed an issue very quickly. So we will see what this one will do. Otherwise I’ll be back to the Apple store lol to pick one up that’s 2020

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I attempted to get my iPhone XS Smart Battery case replaced through this program, and I was sent away by the Genius that I had made an appointment with because he couldn't retrieve the serial number. The serial number is printed on the felt inside of the case but it is almost impossible to read. The Genius kept saying that the serial number should appear under the About section in Settings>General, but I haven't found any supporting evidence of that online. The only method that I have seen mentioned online to retrieve the serial number involves running Apple diagnostics, which I suggested, but the Genius refused to try running diagnostics. I then got on Apple Support Chat and explained how I had just been sent away because the Genius was unable to locate the serial number for one of the products that he is supposed to be able to support, and the only option they presented was to make another appointment with a Genius.

As a former support technician, I know that if you're unable to help a customer due to a lack of competence on your part, at the very least you should provide that customer another path to a resolution. I was simply sent away in two separate instances. I would really expect better customer support out of a trillion dollar company, but I guess that's just me.
That last paragraph is spot on. Someone can't know everything or have the time to do everything, but they can at least be given the knowledge to always know who knows.
[automerge]1581522006[/automerge]
Has anyone had a problem with a replacement case yet?
Don't know about the replacements since I don't have XS Max anymore, but so far my PM one has been working fine. Just annoying sometimes to get just the right amount of time on the camera button to take a pic without doing a video. Seems you have to press it too long for it to register. Not such an issue with starting the camera since you don't want to have that happen by accident, but they could make it more sensitive for taking the pic.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I just rang Apple and asked them when my case was manufactured that I bought few days ago and they said September 2019.

It’s kinda crazy they are still selling potentially faulty cases to consumers when there is a known fault.

very annoyed about that but I hope mine is going to be fine, I guess I’ll find out in couple of months.

last two cases I had developed an issue very quickly. So we will see what this one will do. Otherwise I’ll be back to the Apple store lol to pick one up that’s 2020

So again they gave me a super hard time. They told me the issue was "100% software issue because its an iphone X" I seriously wonder what training they go through. She was horrible...

She brought out a iphone XS from back and said "see, it works fine with the Iphone Xs". I said do you know what "intermittently" means and she said yes - I doubt it. I asked her why there is a recall of the same exact symptoms I have with the same year manufactured with the issued ones and she replied saying it could be that which is a possibility OR can be because its an Iphone X. I started raising my voice at that point saying it happens with my moms too which is a XS and she has it too. She told me it is the last time she's replacing it because I'm using a X. She then went in the back and said there's no "fixed" newer ones and I had to get a pre-october 2019 model. Then again she said on the way out "DOn't be shocked if it breaks again because its the Iphone X because its not made for it and we can't replace it if its not compatible". I'm going to email apple a complaint about this.

She was SO ignorant

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
So again they gave me a super hard time. They told me the issue was "100% software issue because its an iphone X" I seriously wonder what training they go through. She was horrible...

She brought out a iphone XS from back and said "see, it works fine with the Iphone Xs". I said do you know what "intermittently" means and she said yes - I doubt it. I asked her why there is a recall of the same exact symptoms I have with the same year manufactured with the issued ones and she replied saying it could be that which is a possibility OR can be because its an Iphone X. I started raising my voice at that point saying it happens with my moms too which is a XS and she has it too. She told me it is the last time she's replacing it because I'm using a X. She then went in the back and said there's no "fixed" newer ones and I had to get a pre-october 2019 model. Then again she said on the way out "DOn't be shocked if it breaks again because its the Iphone X because its not made for it and we can't replace it if its not compatible". I'm going to email apple a complaint about this.

She was SO ignorant

if it’s pre 2019 October I guarantee it will happen again.

I will update this in couple of months to see if my 2019 September case will break or not. However I don’t have much faith.

guaranteed come April it will develop the intermittent fault again. I really hope it doesn’t but I highly doubt it.

I’ve noticed that their refurbished ones are much worse then the new ones you get. They develop the fault a lot quicker.

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
I’ve just noticed that on UK boxes that you get on brand new battery cases there is a manufacturing date. Has anyone actually got one for iPhone XS, XS max or XR with a date of later then October 2019?

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
if it’s pre 2019 October I guarantee it will happen again.

I will update this in couple of months to see if my 2019 September case will break or not. However I don’t have much faith.

guaranteed come April it will develop the intermittent fault again. I really hope it doesn’t but I highly doubt it.

I’ve noticed that their refurbished ones are much worse then the new ones you get. They develop the fault a lot quicker.
So how did it do after two months even tho it’s a year later now? I just picked up my replacement, iPhone Xs model, this evening and it’s doing the same thing, not charging.

Shows 0% when plugged, then I charge it, now showing 77%, and then I insert phone and boom 0% smh.

Will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow. No appointment needed per geek squad, 30 days warranty. If they can’t find one, another replacement, I wonder what could replace it?, maybe my battery?, but I don’t want to seem like I’m taking advantage.

My Battery is at 88% max capacity, still good but wondering if they would just replace the battery.

*Update on Friday 02/12/2021

Today almost was my 4th replacement and come to find out, the near future 14.5 update will fix this issue.

The Apple reps were able to see my experience to the point where they troubleshooted different battery cases in there inventory so it IS a software issue. Interesting find. I’m sure some have moved on from the Xs or X in this forum, but you never know who may need to see this forum. Peace.

Last edited:

petro_onishchuk

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
So how did it do after two months even tho it’s a year later now? I just picked up my replacement, iPhone Xs model, this evening and it’s doing the same thing, not charging.

Shows 0% when plugged, then I charge it, now showing 77%, and then I insert phone and boom 0% smh.

Will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow. No appointment needed per geek squad, 30 days warranty. If they can’t find one, another replacement, I wonder what could replace it?, maybe my battery?, but I don’t want to seem like I’m taking advantage.

My Battery is at 88% max capacity, still good but wondering if they would just replace the battery.

*Update on Friday 02/12/2021

Today almost was my 4th replacement and come to find out, the near future 14.5 update will fix this issue.

The Apple reps were able to see my experience to the point where they troubleshooted different battery cases in there inventory so it IS a software issue. Interesting find. I’m sure some have moved on from the Xs or X in this forum, but you never know who may need to see this forum. Peace.
Hello. I have the same issue. Did you case work correctly now ?

Reactions: jazz1

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Hello. I have the same issue. Did you case work correctly now ?
Unfortunately it does not. I thought the 14.5 iOS update would fix that but it didn’t. I actually found a Mophie case on Zagg. It was for sale at $10. Maybe check there. It’s nice.

It’s the principle but I know it’s just a battery case. My battery health capacity is 81% and it still gets thru the day but I do have to charge at least twice in my day.

If this can’t be fixed, hopefully maybe Apple will give me a discount on a battery replacement if I decide to keep the IPhone XS.

The discount would be for some of the difference from purchasing the battery case.

Last edited:
Reactions: petro_onishchuk

petro_onishchuk

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Unfortunately it does not. I thought the 14.5 iOS update would fix that but it didn’t. I actually found a Mophie case on Zagg. It was for sale at $10. Maybe check there. It’s nice.

It’s the principle but I know it’s just a battery case. My battery health capacity is 81% and it still gets thru the day but I do have to charge at least twice in my day.

If this can’t be fixed, hopefully maybe Apple will give me a discount on a battery replacement if I decide to keep the IPhone XS.

The discount would be for some of the difference from purchasing the battery case.
Hello. Thank you for you reply. I understand you. Now I have 2 case: 1 white (don’t work and it’s very sad(() and another black( it’s working) I buy after my first. Good day!

Reactions: iApple_man
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.