Apple Launches Replacement Program for Smart Battery Cases Designed for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

airbatross

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
I changed mine today at :apple:Bondi store.
The guy was new but didn't event ask me to replicate the issue. I said that it starts OK but after a while it stops and then shows the case as A1234 (product no) and then stops/reinstates numerous times etc. I said I was using it with an X too. He just came with new case after asking the tech guys inside. New one works perfectly so far.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Anyone know do you have to demonstrate the problem in order to have the Battery case replaced at the store? Anyone's been denied the replacement??

Thanks.
I was able to get an appointment today after reading about the program yesterday. I didn't have to do anything. I just said that the case has issues charging. He said, "we just started a replacement program for these. Let's check if it's still under warranty, but we'll still replace it even if it's not."

Just exchanged mine. Didn’t have to test it or anything. Just told him why I was there and what it was doing. I still had 3 days left on the warranty, so he exchanged it that way. For whatever reason, they want to exchange them under warranty if they can.

However, when I asked him if the one I was getting was manufactured after the problem ones, his only response was “yes, it was made with more love”. Groan. Just say “I don’t know”.
Yeah, when getting my replaced today, he made a comment about checking the replacement serial to make sure it wasn't manufactured around the same time as my original one. Oddly enough, when I checked the serial after leaving the store, it only differed from my original one by four characters. I guess we'll see how it works out. So, I guess they don't have ones manufactured after a specific time to swap. It looks like they swap with whatever they have on hand.

• Sad
Reactions: decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, when getting my replaced today, he made a comment about checking the replacement serial to make sure it wasn't manufactured around the same time as my original one. Oddly enough, when I checked the serial after leaving the store, it only differed from my original one by four characters. I guess we'll see how it works out. So, I guess they don't have ones manufactured after a specific time to swap. It looks like they swap with whatever they have on hand.
His last comment as I was leaving was “If this one doesn’t work, you can always bring it back under the program”. Gee, thanks. While nice and all, it would be a lot better to know I have one that will work and I won’t have to waste my time going back. The store near me is always a madhouse. Worst place on the planet for anyone with anxiety or claustrophobia (I suffer both).

• Haha
Reactions: Ar40

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Another useless replacement program that is another slap in the face to the consumer. Just got off the phone with Apple. The defective case must be taken to an Apple Store. I bought mine online since the nearest store is 300 miles away. It would cost more to drive there than the case is worth. Guess I will have to to deal with another Apple fail.
That’s not true. They can do it over the phone.

TastyMango

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
These are exactly the issues I've been having. Intermittent charging of the case or phone or both. I was going to call in next time I was passing an Apple store but having seen the replacement programme, I've just booked an appointment at my local Apple store for tomorrow afternoon to get it replaced. Thanks for the heads up.
Any update of how it went? Like how long did it take and did they have to see it malfunctioning?

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
Anyone know do you have to demonstrate the problem in order to have the Battery case replaced at the store? Anyone's been denied the replacement??

Thanks.
No they just took my word for it and gave me a new one(Leeds store UK)

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
His last comment as I was leaving was “If this one doesn’t work, you can always bring it back under the program”. Gee, thanks. While nice and all, it would be a lot better to know I have one that will work and I won’t have to waste my time going back. The store near me is always a madhouse. Worst place on the planet for anyone with anxiety or claustrophobia (I suffer both).
Welcome to Tim's Apple. It's more profitable to just give you whatever is on hand than try to have a proper inventory management system in place. If it's extra inconvenience for the customers, well that doesn't impact their margins or bottom line.

Funny since as an operations person, Timmy should have been able to handle inventory management. I guess he's all about profit and preaching social justice that he doesn't follow himself.

Reactions: decypher44

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Apple's Smart Battery Cases for their 2019 iPhones have a dedicated Camera Shutter Button.

Anyone have any experience using this feature, & if so, please share your experience.

As I understand it, it uses the Lightning Port to send commands to the native Camera App.

Reactions: compwiz1202

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Had the same problem
I have one for my 6S, but I only use it when I know I am going to have a long day away from any charger. Most days I don't use it. It's great for camping when I want more battery, and great for long bike rides when I have the screen on and connected to my speed sensor the whole time. But most days I don't need it, so I don't use it.

Frehley

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks.
I checked my case's serial number on their site and it was part of the program. I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment. The tech looked in the charging port and then said that since it was part of the quality program, just gave me another case. I did not even have my Xs Max with me. Great service!

Jason 976521

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
my gf has been having this issue but uses her case with her iPhone X, not the Xs, any chance they'll give her crap about that instead of just replacing it?
Apple didn’t release a iPhone X smart battery case which you can only use the Xs version in your X, apple store staff told me any products PRODUCTION time with 1/1/19-31/10/19 and within two years of purchase can be replaced

Azeroth1

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Replaced an XS and XS Max case today.

Unboxed both in store (kept the box) and gave me the cases. Didn’t seem too familiar with the replacement program at first but after about 15 minutes took care of it. Was pretty painless process.

Glad they implemented this -
both of the cases had so many issues we’d stopped using them.

SayCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Thame, Oxfordshire, England
Any update of how it went? Like how long did it take and did they have to see it malfunctioning?
Scheduled a Genius Bar appointment, went in and the genius didn't know anything about the recall/replacement programme. Had to show her the article on the Apple support website. They asked if I could reproduce the fault, I told them I couldn't and that it's intermittent. They took my word for it.
She then said that they could replace it, however, they didn't have one in stock. Told me they would have to order it in and that I would then have to go back to swap it over. Explained that it's over an hour each way for me to the Apple store and asked if they could post it for me. They told me they couldn't.

I asked to speak to a manager. Explained the situation to him and he said he shouldn't take one from the floor stock but that he would on this occasion make an exception and he swapped it there and then. Even the manager didn't know about the program.

This replacement one seems like it's not great and might have the same problems. It wasn't charged when I got up this morning even though it had been on charge all night and thus should be fully charged.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I'll check this out, I picked mine up in August...but the box says "2018" (not sure if this means iPhone XS, XSMax was made in 2018..the case in 2019??? No clue.)

I've seen 2, 3 issues with mine but it cleared up fast...beats me, but if these is truly an issue with mine and Apple can rectify - *replace it..cool. These Smart battery cases are not cheap!

Last edited:

SayCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Thame, Oxfordshire, England
My replacement case isn’t charging wirelessly very well compared to the old one I turned in. Ugh. One thing after another with Apple lately.
Yep, mine isn't charging well wirelessly (or at least it didn't last night).

I'll check this out, I picked mine up in August...but the box says "2018" (not sure if this means iPhone XS, XSMax was made in 2018..the case in 2019??? No clue.)

I've seen 2, 3 issues with mine but it cleared up fast...beats me, but if these is truly an issue with mine and Apple can rectify it..cool. These Smart battery cases are not cheap!

Their solution to 'rectify' is just to replace it.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Yep, mine isn't charging well wirelessly (or at least it didn't last night).

Their solution to 'rectify' is just to replace it.
My fear is right now is the smart case I have is not posing any major issues.

If I go in and get a replacement at the Apple store (local store does show it in stock) - most likely newer and made in that Jan-Oct 2019 timeframe...I may just get a truly bad defective one, one that really does fall into this "defective case" timeline. It's a crapshoot I suppose.

JDP1970

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Replaced mine today at the Apple store in Leeds UK. Advised that they usually have to request the replacements, which takes around 4 days, however, as I purchased it direct from Apple & it was still within the warranty period, they could do a straight swap for a new one.

Only issue I’ve had with mine was the occasional non charging of the case.

One other interesting fact, my wife & I purchased our Xs Max’s about 2 weeks apart. She’s never bothered with a battery case preferring to carry a power bank. Her battery health is still showing 100%, whereas mine is only 95%. We are both heavy users of our phones.

Reactions: Rocko99991

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
So it’ll be two trips to the Apple store. They don’t have parts in stock and won’t replace with a retail unit. Of course they didn’t tell me that when I made the appointment.
For recalls like this it’s be nice if apple made it easier to do.