Apple Launches Replacement Program for Smart Battery Cases Designed for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

TastyMango

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
One other interesting fact, my wife & I purchased our Xs Max’s about 2 weeks apart. She’s never bothered with a battery case preferring to carry a power bank. Her battery health is still showing 100%, whereas mine is only 95%. We are both heavy users of our phones.
Yeah i'm wondering about that myself. I bought my Xs used at the beginning of December and got a used Smart Battery Case. The phone had 96% battery health when I got it and now it's at 95%. Not really a huge issue and it's possible that it was close to going to 95% anyway, but i'm wondering if using the case accelerated that process, especially with the problems i was having with the case (frequently starting and stopping charging). Would love to see more data about this and if the problems with the case affected the health. 🤷‍♂️

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
I went in and described my issues, but the genius said that since they couldn’t reproduce the issues they can’t give me a replacement. All they could do is put a note in.
Well, I’m having problems again. The case isn’t charging my phone, even though the battery status says it’s charging. It was working fine when I showed the genius, but I can’t reproduce the issue at will. I took screenshots this time!

rjp1

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
And then got $300 in free product for all that hassle of having to make three phone calls.

What other company would do that? Is that really “awful support”? Or is that amazing support, and has OP told that story to dozens of people. Make that tens of thousands now. (Thanks MacRumors!)

It’s long been known that a customer who has a problem that’s solved by a company going above and beyond, is a more loyal and satisfied customer (by far) than one who never had a problem in the first place. They become your best form of advertising.

On the contrary, if I had a couple hours, I’d recount my hellish experience trying to get a $250 bill credit from AT&T. Suffice it to say I’m now working for about $50 an hour (and dropping). And I tell everyone who will listen how horrible AT&T customer service is. Can’t wait to dump AT&T and DirecTV.
I'd rather just have them fix the issue instead of putting me through hoops even if they did give me extras. I guess if you just want free stuff and don't value your time, then maybe it does seem nice.

• Love
Reactions: decypher44

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'd rather just have them fix the issue instead of putting me through hoops even if they did give me extras. I guess if you just want free stuff and don't value your time, then maybe it does seem nice.
Just wanting free stuff had nothing to do with OP’s issue. They had to make several calls, and the item they needed was back ordered. The ship date was pushed back several times.

Issues like this sometimes happen when trying to get gear replaced or serviced. That’s life, right? But how many companies will turn you loose in their store with a $300 gift card to spend, to make up for your inconvenience!

Damn few. Apple is one, and it’s why their customer satisfaction scores are typically in the 97-99% range.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
My replacement battery case is faulty too. My phone is on 42% & the case is on 68%. The case is supposed to drain before the phone battery starts draining. ☹

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Wonder if we can get any sort of refund if we no longer have our XS Max. One good thing is hopefully this means the 11 ones won't have the issue. Haven't seen any symptoms yet.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
Went in a second time today, they exchanged it. It’s so weird, sometimes my phone would say it’s charging with the case on but the battery would be draining, but I don’t know how to reproduce the issue. Hope this replacement fixes the issue.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Apple's Smart Battery Cases for their 2019 iPhones have a dedicated Camera Shutter Button.

Anyone have any experience using this feature, & if so, please share your experience.

As I understand it, it uses the Lightning Port to send commands to the native Camera App.
You just need to make sure to push the button a bit or it won't register.
- - Post merged: - -

So you're content paying a "tax" for excellent service? Shouldn't one expect excellent service anyways?
Should expect good service. Shouldn't be expecting free replacements outside of warranty like I've gotten already or above normal compensation when you have an issue. That's excellent service.

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Not everyone lives around one? 🤨
See quote below.
- - Post merged: - -

So, they are not going to take it in the mail?? WTH!
So ridiculous how some people are 300 miles from closest, but our closest is like five miles or less, and the tenth furthest one from us is 53 or so miles. I can't even find a way to see how many are 300 miles or less from us. Same crap happens with AT&T too from what I read.

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
So ridiculous how some people are 300 miles from closest, but our closest is like five miles or less, and the tenth furthest one from us is 53 or so miles. I can't even find a way to see how many are 300 miles or less from us. Same crap happens with AT&T too from what I read.
Using the Apple Store app, look at Oregon. Three stores, all located in Portland, or there about. It makes sense from a retail perspective to be exclusive to dense urban populations and I don't begrudge them, but it leaves us podunk folk hanging when a program like this is initiated without the option to exchange by mail. I am fortunate enough that mine fell three days inside the 1 year warranty, so I'm exchanging it that way, with a hold on my credit card, of course.

JDP1970

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Yeah i'm wondering about that myself. I bought my Xs used at the beginning of December and got a used Smart Battery Case. The phone had 96% battery health when I got it and now it's at 95%. Not really a huge issue and it's possible that it was close to going to 95% anyway, but i'm wondering if using the case accelerated that process, especially with the problems i was having with the case (frequently starting and stopping charging). Would love to see more data about this and if the problems with the case affected the health. 🤷‍♂️
I’m quite convinced that there’s something in this. Perhaps an heat issue degrading the iPhone battery, as on one of the occasions that the case failed to charge, it felt warm to say the least.

Both our iPhones were bought in October 2019 & if anything, my Wife’s iPhone has seen heavier use, as I often use the MacBook or a PC. It doesn’t feel like a coincidence. I’m almost convinced, that the smart battery case, is the reason behind the 5% difference in the battery health of our respective devices.

Reactions: TastyMango

B4U

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Well, there are some areas in the country that is not rural but still somewhat populated. 😓
Let's say Casper, WY.

TastyMango

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Uggggggg. I've been dealing with intermittent charging on my case since mid-December. Instead of going to an Apple "Town Square" like i knew i should've, I went to Best Buy because the closest Apple Store to me is inconvenient to go to and Best Buy is an Authorized Apple Retailer.

I had to inform the GeekSquad guy about the Replacement Program because he was unaware about it. I told him "Yeah so its charging intermittently and I can't really consistently replicate it". He then started checking out MY PHONE with the case on it trying to see if there were any issues, because I guess my word alone wasn't enough. Thank the man upstairs though, the case was acting up like crazy. He then has to read the Apple Support Page with the details about the Replacement Program with MY PHONE in his stubby little paws. He then goes digging into my settings presumably to do diagnostics, and he's taking forever and keeps messing up. Eventually he gets another guy to help him out. One of them asks the other one "what software is on the phone". The other guy says, and I quote "it's on 13 cause it's like.... [waves finger at the background of the settings app] ..dark." and here I am ready to go into a whole thing about how i'm on the developer beta of iOS 13.3.1 beta 1 and so maybe that's why it's messing up idk. Nope turns out they were just doing it wrong. Throughout this process the guys are constantly taking the case off and on and keep messing up. I actually had to show them how to do it so they wouldnt just rip the case. And so finally the original guy has to write up the paperwork and i'm answering all these questions about phone numbers and Best Buy accounts and I have to sign a document selling my first born child to be a Best Buy employee and then he says "alright your new case should be here in about 3-5 business days". Excuse me? I have to come back here? And do you know what the best part about it is? I guess it was still covered by the Apple Limited Warranty and i guess he decided that was what I wanted (not really). I'd rather have gone through the Replacement Program uggggg.

I have some major complaints. 1st: If you are going to run diagnostics which I understand, run them on a different phone. You're Best Buy. I'm sure you guys have an iPhone Xs laying around somewhere, because you are still selling them at the store. The phone wasn't the issue. It's the case. And that brings me to my 2nd complaint: I know a little about how Best Buy works and I know for a fact that written consent is required for the service technician to run diagnostics on someone's iPhone. I didn't consent to that. The paperwork I signed was for the agreement that my case was going to Apple and I was going to get a new one. I feel really uncomfortable with some guy at Best Buy going through my phone and my data, and I feel like it shouldn't have happened. I should have just been required to give them my case and they can run diagnostics on it through a different phone. 3rd. You're freaking Best Buy. How do you not have ONE battery case in stock for an extremely popular phone???

TL;DR: Two cavemen at Best Buy poke at my phone while I sit in an uncomfortable plastic chair for 45 minutes. And now I have to go back to pick up the new case while they send mine to Apple.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
So I bought my friends case that stopped working before he got the iPhone 11 pro for $20. I brought it to apple today and they said it stopped working because i was using an iPhone X lol. Then he kept insisting it’s going to break the replacement smart case and I’m just wasting my time going through the process.
Long story short he did replace it. I don’t understand how using an iPhone X broke it in the first place? I didn’t even tell them that it was originally my friends and he used it for his old iPhone XS lol

TastyMango

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
So I bought my friends case that stopped working before he got the iPhone 11 pro for $20. I brought it to apple today and they said it stopped working because i was using an iPhone X lol. Then he kept insisting it’s going to break the replacement smart case and I’m just wasting my time going through the process.
Long story short he did replace it. I don’t understand how using an iPhone X broke it in the first place? I didn’t even tell them that it was originally my friends and he used it for his old iPhone XS lol
yeah the apple employee was incorrect i think. the xs case should work fine with the x and won't break because of the x.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Reporting from the great white North. Had my Battery Case swapped out on the spot at the Apple store today. Fairly painless, in and out. Genius “ran” some test and returned with a new one. Brilliant!

drewmichel1995

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Cookeville, TN
I attempted to get my iPhone XS Smart Battery case replaced through this program, and I was sent away by the Genius that I had made an appointment with because he couldn't retrieve the serial number. The serial number is printed on the felt inside of the case but it is almost impossible to read. The Genius kept saying that the serial number should appear under the About section in Settings>General, but I haven't found any supporting evidence of that online. The only method that I have seen mentioned online to retrieve the serial number involves running Apple diagnostics, which I suggested, but the Genius refused to try running diagnostics. I then got on Apple Support Chat and explained how I had just been sent away because the Genius was unable to locate the serial number for one of the products that he is supposed to be able to support, and the only option they presented was to make another appointment with a Genius.

As a former support technician, I know that if you're unable to help a customer due to a lack of competence on your part, at the very least you should provide that customer another path to a resolution. I was simply sent away in two separate instances. I would really expect better customer support out of a trillion dollar company, but I guess that's just me.

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I attempted to get my iPhone XS Smart Battery case replaced through this program, and I was sent away by the Genius that I had made an appointment with because he couldn't retrieve the serial number. The serial number is printed on the felt inside of the case but it is almost impossible to read. The Genius kept saying that the serial number should appear under the About section in Settings>General, but I haven't found any supporting evidence of that online. The only method that I have seen mentioned online to retrieve the serial number involves running Apple diagnostics, which I suggested, but the Genius refused to try running diagnostics. I then got on Apple Support Chat and explained how I had just been sent away because the Genius was unable to locate the serial number for one of the products that he is supposed to be able to support, and the only option they presented was to make another appointment with a Genius.

As a former support technician, I know that if you're unable to help a customer due to a lack of competence on your part, at the very least you should provide that customer another path to a resolution. I was simply sent away in two separate instances. I would really expect better customer support out of a trillion dollar company, but I guess that's just me.
It’s not just you. Apple has done the right thing in addressing issues with these cases with spotty reliability but for some reason the exchange process is hit or miss. Back when they initiated the battery recall for the 15” MBP 2015 models, I ran my SN and it didn’t qualify. Satisfied I wasn’t sitting on a potential fire hazard, I left it at that. A a month or two later, Apple reached out to let me know I was in fact covered by the recall. They took a much more significant $ hit with that than they did with my battery case but the difference in ease of transaction is night and day. I had my MBP repaired and returned in 3 days. Out Tuesday, back Friday. It’s very odd and un-Apple like, IMHO, that this replacement program is structured the way it is.
As a former tech support person, you probably know that you could go back to that same store and talk to a different genius and get different results. Ditto if there is an alternate Apple store you can go to. But it shouldn’t be this complicated. Your genius could of looked up your purchase date for this case and pulled the serial number from that. Good luck reading it from the interior of the case. And there is no battery case info in the About section of Settings on my Xs running 13.3, either.

Last edited:

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014

I had the same exact issue! I had to read it off by what it looked like and it was the wrong one (receipt that came up was from California) but the Genius Bar swapped it anyways! We were there for a good 15 minutes trying to get it.