Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week introduced a new service that's designed to make it quick and easy for iCloud users to transfer their stored photos and videos to Google Photos.

apple-transfer-google-photos-1.jpg

As outlined in an Apple support document, you can go to Apple's privacy website and sign in to see the "Transfer a copy of your data" option. If you select this and go through all the steps, Apple will transfer your iCloud photos and videos to Google Photos.

Transferring photos and videos from iCloud Photos does not remove the content you have stored with Apple, but it provides a backup method and stores a copy of the content on Google Photos.

apple-transfer-google-2.jpg

The transfer process takes between three and seven days, with Apple verifying that the request was made by you. To do the transfer, you must have two-factor authentication turned on for your Apple ID account and you must have a Google Photos account with enough storage to complete the transfer.

Smart Albums, Live Photos, photo stream content, some metadata, and some RAW photos are not able to be transferred, but formats including .jpg, .png, .webp, .gif, some RAW files, .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv are compatible.

Only the most recent edit of a photo is transferred rather than the original version, and duplicates appear as just one photo. Images are transferred in their albums whenever possible, but videos are transferred separately.

Apple's transfer service is available to customers in Australia, Canada, the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States at this time.

Article Link: Apple Launches Service for Transferring iCloud Photos and Videos to Google Photos

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
HOW ABOUT A WAY TO TRANSFER MY PHOTOS TO MY 2008 MACBOOK?!
They put the kibosh on icloud.com photo transferring.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
If I wanted Google to have all my photos, I'd already be using their service.

Nice of Apple to provide an option for moving between platforms.

Not that I think it's anything to do with being nice, more likely a defensive maneuver to help against any monopolistic accusations.
Agree. I’ll stick with icloud.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
Google Photos was nice when it had unlimited free storage, but that's going away in June. I found that uploads were always slow and videos took a long time to convert to whatever format they were using, with some not converting at all.

Reactions: mhnd and BigMcGuire

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
If I wanted Google to have all my photos, I'd already be using their service.

Nice of Apple to provide an option for moving between platforms.

Not that I think it's anything to do with being nice, more likely a defensive maneuver to help against any monopolistic accusations.
Apple is Never nice. A rule.
Always acts on political pressure another rule.
Greed is the highest Maxime.
0 innovation their dogma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.