Apple lawsuit over exploding ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DS Flyer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. DS Flyer macrumors newbie

DS Flyer

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Steve's response:

[​IMG]

Distress for the rest of his life... get the frick over it. :p

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The lawsuit is against the people who work at the Apple Store, too? What?

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I remember this exact same thing happening with a psp. In fact its almost identical the way it has been explained, just replace ipod in that article with sony PSP and you've got it.

I can't think what would make it explode other than a possible defective battery.

5. DS Flyer thread starter macrumors newbie

DS Flyer

I guess so? Or the journalist reported wrong. I had to read that one twice. I thought they were witnesses at first.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Apparently the "mom" handpicked 10 employees. They said it's random...
    I personally feel this is all a fake. I doubt that the iPod such a device can blow up unless ofcourse the kid had some explosives in his pocket. Not a bad way to make 150k

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

engadget link
    They also are reporting that 10 employees are listed in the suit as well.

8. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

HAHA! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN "iTOUCH!" CASE DISMISSED!!!! :D :D :D

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Oh, I can.

If something metal, quite thin, slid up into the charging slot and shorted out some contacts including battery contacts, it could heat up. Not sure if this would/could cause what occurred (explosion), but if I were Apple's legal team I'd shove a few items often found in a teenagers pocket up the slot of a Touch.

Once in the 90s I felt something itching in my pocket and scratched it a few times, then realized it was burning. Turns out it was a 9-volt battery whose contacts obviously started shorting out due to pocket change.

That all said, I'm betting it WAS a defective battery. Would not be surprised though if they could prove otherwise.

Mike

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There seem to be three separate things: Apple is being sued for selling an iPod that caused damage, for not putting up warnings that iPods can explode, and staff at a store is being sued.

First, suing the staff is ridiculous. I think in this situation, where it looks like the staff has just done their job selling things as Apple produces them, Apple owes their staff to defend them vigorously against claims like this one.

Second, warnings are appropriate where a serious danger exists. With a product like an iPod, there is always a remote possibility that something goes wrong and that you receive an iPod that is defective in a dangerous way. But it is common sense that this possibility exists for any product whatsoever. Therefore, there is no reason to print a specific warning on an iPod.

Third, damage caused (allegedly) by this iPod. If this goes to a court, then Apple will have the right to look at the evidence, and decide whether it is their fault or not. At that point the right thing to do would be to settle and pay if it was their fault, and to fight it all the way if it wasn't their fault.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There is not a single instance of it being called an 'iPod touch' through that entire document. Since Apple does not product the 'iTouch', surely they could use this as some form of loophole? :p

12. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

It's the Chinese knock-off, obviously.

Explains the "iTouch" and the exploding battery.

:D

13. buxtone17 macrumors regular

If it's true, it sucks for that kid, but what a joke...

The article should say "The boy is said to have put on a great show, pretending to suffer from physical and mental conditions that will really only affect him until he watches the next episode of South Park. But he will make a jury feel sorry for him so he can get two hundred thousand bucks. The boy and his mother will use said two hundred thousand bucks to pay for a 60-day prescription for burn cream, and will then proceed to buy an 8-Core Mac Pro with dual 30" Cinema displays, a 17-inch MacBook Pro, an iPhone 3G, and, of course, a 32GB iPod touch."

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How about editing that last part to say:

• Octo Mac Pro | 3.2GHz | 12GB DDR3 | 2TB HDD RAID0 | 30" Cinema Display
    • 2 MacBook Pro 15" | 2.66GHz | 256GB SSD | for kid's Mom & Dad
    • 3 24" LED Displays - Family
    • 2 iPhone 3G - kid's Mom & Dad
    • MacBook 2.4GHz | 256GB SSD | 4GB DDR3 for the kid
    • 32GB iPod Touches for family

15. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

What a stupid women. Someone should sue her for stupidity.

16. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

This is not the first case of an exploding Apple product. Does anyone recall the macrumors member who's 12" (or 15") powerbook exploded? There is a whole thread about it. Luckily she was not injured (just her table) and Apple sent her a brand new 17" macbook pro.

Of course, there is a big difference in these two cases... one was hurt, and the other was not. Still, Apple handled her situation well.

Here is the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=300089

And the London office case:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/powerbook-explo.html

17. Guruclub04 macrumors newbie