Apple LIED about the lens cover being made out of Sapphire c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Oh no! What ever did you do before the iPhone 7??? Your lenses must have been completely unusable!

2. Rocket Man macrumors member

The camera lens and watch manufactures that know what they are doing apply their anti-reflective coating 'inside out' the lens. Therefore the coating is not exposed to the elements.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

interesting if true. Would definitely be a concern when laying the phone down if it proves not to be sapphire.

4. keatth macrumors 6502

Wait. Only the "top" of the Touch ID button is sapphire? Wtf.

5. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

I'm here to help

6. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Yeah my mistake ifixit posted that it did when doing the tear down then edited it out when they realized they were wrong.

7. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I'd like to see a scratch test using a level 9 pick on every iPhone starting with the 5. Someone make it happen.

8. scrtagntman macrumors regular

To add to the credibility of the JerryRigged video, every mohs hardness pick set I could find that had colored bands on the picks, ALL used the same colors for the same hardness picks. On the lens cover he used a pick with a green band. Every pick set I found that had color bands, green was always on the 6 and 7 pick. So even if he used the 7 side, regardless of reason, it should not have scratched sapphire. I've owned several sapphire crystal watches and they just do not scratch.

Also, while the lens elements themselves are most likely coated, there is a good chance the lens cover is not. Its not curved like a lens element, so it'd only pick ups reflection from sources at a specific angle from the cover. So it just not as needed. If it was, i'd imagine the use the same practice as nice watches. You coat the inside, not the outside. The whole point of using sapphire is to reduce the risk of a scratch to near 0. Sapphire is not quite as clear as glass and shatters easier, so there is no upside to using it, if you are going to coat the outside.

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Don't fret. Apple isn't the only one with questionable materials this generation. Gorilla glass 5 in the Galaxy series seems to be scratching at around mohs 3. That's horrendous. Almost back to plastic screens!

9. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Did he respond to Samsung's explanation on the Note 7 he scratched?

10. Ries macrumors 68020

Prejury is something you do under oath. Perhaps you're just being cute. Either way, I'm unamused.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

Cute

12. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Who the heck is Jerry Rigs and who made him an authority of materials hardness and composition?

13. MrBukey macrumors regular

And you know it's a tool hardness of 6 how?

Think about it.....

14. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

This whole thread is really about nothing important.