Apple LIED about the lens cover being made out of Sapphire c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mexxdude, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

mexxdude macrumors member

Does the video raise legitimate concern about the lens cover? Yes, absolutely. But to say Apple LIED is premature at this point. Why not wait for Apple's official response? OP said he doesn't believe everything FOX news says, but his action says otherwise. People need to stop jumping to conclusion without seeing more evidence besides a YouTube video or before hearing argument from both sides.

2. yegon macrumors 68030

If it says sapphire on the spec sheet, it'll be sapphire.

Not that I blindly believe everything Apple, or indeed any company out for my money, tells us but I find it spectacularly unlikely they'd make inaccurate claims about something tangible and so easily provable in the litigious world we live in.

3. gifo macrumors regular

so, if you are SO sure that apple lied about that i suppose that you are also eventually ready to pay the consequences of your statement.
    don't know where do you live, in my country you can be charged for defamation...

not even considering the whole thing of the drop tests related to the lenses, just no sense.
    "IF it's cracking it's not sapphireeeeee!111!!! apple said it would be indestructible111!!!"
    lol, can't wait for the class actions on water proofing and the jet black scratching because: "come on who reads clauses in 2016!"

4. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

No matter what people think or post, the Apple iPhone7s will be great sellers and people will enjoy them.

5. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I can only hope, with all my might, that you are NEVER selected for jury service. It's really quite scary how you have continued to misrepresent the 'facts' in this thread. Why do you continue to draw unfounded conclusions from such an incomplete picture?

6. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I think that summarizes the entire argument to me. We now live in a world where every picture taken is assumed to be Photoshopped, but some guy on YouTube with an iPhone and a stick is a scientist.

I saw the video, I'm curious what the outcome is, but my lead theories on this are:
    1. Scratched a coating.
    2. Tested it wrong because he's using a rock tester to scratch a phone.
    3. Typo on the spec sheet and it wasn't updated from last year.

7. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

8. caelius macrumors 6502

caelius

Regarding the lens cover breaking during the drop test: you do realize that sapphire actually is more brittle than i.e. Gorilla Glass? Which means that it will be more difficult to scratch but on the other hand way less difficult to shatter?

Also, the lens cover is now part of the phone's body and therefore picks up tension more readily.

And last but not least: that test proves nothing at all.

9. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

How about Option C.

Apple specified and ordered sapphire from the supplier. They paid for it, however the supplier substituted for a percentage a number of glass units. On the one hand some are glass and some are sapphire. On the other Apple believes it's sapphire.

Apple has a lot to lose if they intentionally misled the consumer. But there are other vendors out there and their names are not on the line. So they cheat a little. Apple can test this themselves as anyone of us, and conclude that they are getting what they paid for.

Like someone said, if you want to know the truth you need to perform better science. This means multiple confirmable tests using various methods where the procedures and data are peer reviewed. A second or third party may also perform the same tests and confirm the original outcome.

A proper test would require multiple phones from various suppliers. Say 100. Then use the scratch test, a chemical test, a sonic test. Then see if they all confirm the results. You might be able to find specifically what the problem is.

One suggestion. The lens cover is larger, sticks out more and is part of the body, instead of the camera body itself. It's technically more vulnerable.

Maybe the lens cover is layers. On side is glass and the other sapphire. It just so happens it's been installed inside out.

The fact that the lens is part of the body instead of the camera, suggests that the source of the material would be different anyway. Instead of Japan, its coming from China. As you know the Chinese never cut corners like using heated trucks to dry out tea leaves and contaminating them with lead. The Chinese never put melamine in milk, or kerosene in dog food. Surely they don't copy steal or cheat for quick profits.

10. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

You speak of defamation then literally insert fake sentences into a direct quote.

11. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

Deeply? The guy said on the vid that number 6 scratched the lens deeply. If it was only coating, you would see only hairlines.

It wasnt long time ago when i contacted apple and said that they have wrong information on their websites. They removed it. So, im wondering if this is another case...

12. gifo macrumors regular

in the title of the thread there's a subject (apple) a statement (lied) and an author (OP).
    i can't see the same scheme in my quoted sentences, they're "quoted from anonymous stranger on the internet".
    the second part of my message it's obviously a not serious context, but it's a little tricky to be sarcastic in a foreign language, sorry for that.

said that, my post was just a reminder (to me, and to others) to be careful when saying such things without a concrete proof (maybe i would had been a little less cryptic and serious in the first paragraph, probably is because english is not my native language).

13. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Ok guys… If Phill says it's sapphire, it definitely is sapphire. It would be a PR disaster if both Apple (as a company) and Phill (as a high end executive) lied about it. Now we only have to find out what exactly happened in that video.

14. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

Are you asking me to believe words rather than what im seeing? If the lens is scrathed deeply with a tool hardness 6 then the coating must be pretty thick.

15. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

I find it hard to believe Apple would outright lie about it. They don't have much to gain from advertising a sapphire lens and home button, and so much to lose (false advertising, damaged reputation, etc.) no one is going to buy or not but an iPhone for a sapphire camera cover.

What I can possibly see happening is someone at Apple forgetting to change the copy in the webpage or specs (less likely), or that guy is just somehow wrong about his findings.

I'd love to see what apples response is.

16. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

What are you seeing?? I hope you not referring to the video. How do you know any of that was real if he used a real phone or the right pick. Plus many youtubers have been known to get pageviews/clickbait. If he had adsense revenue turned off for that vid then fine but I didint check yet.

If you did it yourself with your own phone then sorry and I'll Shut up

17. RedOrchestra Suspended

I just read through the tech specs for the 6, 6s, SE (5SE as I like to call it), and 7 and couldn't find anything saying the home button was sapphire ... camera YES, home button NO.

Show an Apple link that says otherwise?

18. keatth macrumors 6502

Apple didn't lie. They were showing the iPhone plus when they said sapphire, the regular 7 is glass.

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

On their product page it says sapphire. Both models

20. dmize31287 macrumors regular

Did Apple say that this model had sapphire lenses? I know they mentioned it a few models ago, but I don't remember them saying anything this time.

21. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

And so are hemorrhoids if you don't eat fiber...

22. RedOrchestra Suspended

All models since the 6 / 6+ have a sapphire camera lens - it's openly stated on the tech spec pages it's an easy link to search and read.

Drama where there is none ... sheesh.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

For me, this is enough response:
    Though, additional explanation would be nice, it would be better to see a follow-up from same YouTube poster or independent verification/rebuttal.

24. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

There you go.

I would find it even harder to believe that he would double down on the alleged lie.

And it's agreed: most likely answer is that the youtube guy either messed up his test, or is outright lying.

That's the problem with a LOT of people of our generation: "I saw some guy on the internet say it, so it is true."

My favorite Reddit examples: the Boston Marathon Bomber ID; and Solar Powered Roads. The scary thing is the conviction of MASSES of people.

25. caelius macrumors 6502

caelius

Yeah... sure. Gosh, stop spreading such bulls.it.