Apple Limiting Retail Store Staff Vacations Ahead of Verizon iPhone Launch?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

CNET yesterday reported that it has received information from a source claiming that Apple has limited vacation time for its retail store employees over the next two months, ostensibly in order to handle crowds from a new product presumed to be the CDMA iPhone widely expected to come to Verizon. The source also indicates that Apple appears to be planning a media event for next Tuesday, January 11th, in order to introduce the device, although the window of time for an announcement of such a media event is already becoming extremely short.
During this weekend's 2011 CES, he says, Apple will steal some thunder by announcing a product-launch event on Tuesday, January 11. (That's 1/11/11, if you're into numerology.) At that event, the company will finally announce the long-awaited Verizon iPhone. (Cue "Hallelujah" chorus.)

Alas, this is all just hearsay, and while a lot of it seems reasonable--likely, even--there's still no official word from either Apple or Verizon.

My tipster, citing a close relative who works high up the Apple food chain, said the new iPhone will be CDMA-based (no surprise there) and ship in February. He also noted that Apple was limiting staff vacation time for January and February, ostensibly to handle a sharp increase in sales and service traffic.
We received a similar tip a few days ago claiming a January 11th announcement for the Verizon iPhone with availability set for February, although we have been unable to confirm its accuracy. With the rumored event just five days away, time is running short for Apple to notify members of the media in time to make travel arrangements, and we are thus somewhat skeptical of the claim at this point. Apple typically offers approximately one-week notice regarding its media events.

In support of CNET's claims regarding restrictions on Apple retail sore employee vacations, AppleInsider reports that it has heard similar rumblings, with the vacation blackout apparently spanning the last week of January and the first two weeks of February.
People familiar with the company's retail plans say Apple has issued a "blackout" period spanning three weeks, during which retail employees without seniority will not be allowed vacation time. That blackout period is said to begin the last week of January and continue into the first half of February.
Apple is also said to have retained many of its temporary holiday employees for its retail stores in anticipation of continuing strong business in their stores.

The reason for Apple's vacation blackout is not yet officially known, although the Verizon iPhone is likely the strongest candidate with a second-generation iPad also registering as a possibility.

Article Link: Apple Limiting Retail Store Staff Vacations Ahead of Verizon iPhone Launch?

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
People that say that due to the rush of iPhone users, that Verizon's network will fail seem to forget that AT&T sucked long before the iPhone.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Why would this be news that Apple is limiting their employee vacations? Does the internet get updates when Macy's limits the employee vacations during the busy holiday shopping season? :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I know that the "Verizon iPhone" is right up there with "G5 Powerbook," "Unicorns," and "Pauly Shore."

But still... I kind of think this might actually be it!

I mean, I don't really care about a Verizon iPhone but isn't it exciting to see a mythological creature discovered? Such an amazing time to be alive!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Why would this be news that Apple is limiting their employee vacations? Does the internet get updates when Macy's limits the employee vacations during the busy holiday shopping season? :rolleyes:
No, but if Macy's limited their employee vacations after the busy holiday shopping season was OVER, then you'd have an interesting story that would make you wonder what's up.

That's what this is.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
White iPhone - Grace Slick

I know that the "Verizon iPhone" is right up there with "G5 Powerbook," "Unicorns," and "Pauly Shore."

But still... I kind of think this might actually be it!

I mean, I don't really care about a Verizon iPhone but isn't it exciting to see a mythological creature discovered? Such an amazing time to be alive!
Yeah just like the mythical White iPhone.

I repeat - I want a RED Verizon iPhone to replace my 6 year old Moto Razor.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
If they'd specified how much of the staff could or could not take vacationthen it would give a better clue. If it's just US staff, then it makes more sense, if it's staff all over the world, then it's for something much bigger.

WestCoast

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
Aberystwyth
It'll be the iPad

I guess it's going to be the iPad 2 preview. Everyone will have shown off their tablets at CES, and Apple will top them all by introducing the iPad 2.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
well if true at least this indicates that Verizon customers will get the "apple shaft" because if they get iPhone 4 in february they'll feel the burn of seeing AT&T users with iPhone 5 this summer, poor bastards....

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I'm hoping for iPad 2, but my gut says it is the Verizon iPhone. It seems to soon after Christmas for the iPad 2 to be available.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Well, the good news for all the Verizon-iPhone-story haters is that this will all end soon. Either there really will be a Verizon iPhone (in which case the haters will figure something else to hate around here), or we'll reach spring without a Verizon iPhone (in which case it will appear that all these news stories are dead wrong and the haters will never stop laughing).

Either way, this will end soon.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Interestingly enough, no rumblings of Sprint. You would think since VZ and Sprint both use CDMA that Apple would be eager to roll out on both carriers. A lot of people still use Sprint for their lower prices. Could be an exclusivity deal with VZ though.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Stop with the iPad 2 speculation. That CANNOT be the reason for restricting employee vacations. Those can be sold in seconds at the store, no problem. It's only a new phone on a new network that takes time to handle in the store.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
iPad 2 is much more likely. With the announcement of ATT going to LTE I doubt we will see a Verizon iPhone till summer of 2012, and as I've said many times before, a mid-cycle release does not make any sense and will probably anger more people than make happy.

I sure hope it is iPad 2, because I've been waiting very patiently since September!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If they'd specified how much of the staff could or could not take vacationthen it would give a better clue. If it's just US staff, then it makes more sense, if it's staff all over the world, then it's for something much bigger.
GOOD CALL!

Whoever figures that out will put us much closer to knowing if it's a phone or an iPad.

scottdot

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
New Mexico
Interestingly enough, no rumblings of Sprint. You would think since VZ and Sprint both use CDMA that Apple would be eager to roll out on both carriers. A lot of people still use Sprint for their lower prices. Could be an exclusivity deal with VZ though.
Or perhaps Sprint can keep a secret better? It would be very Apple-like to roll out to multiple CDMA carriers, but T-Mobile should be ignored. I'm hesitant to get an iPhone until they're on all major carriers so network reliability and pricing creates more competition.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Why would they release a new version of the iPhone 4 just a couple of months before they normally announce the new iPhone?

I doubt they will put all that development into a product with such a short lifespan whilst working on a newer model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.