Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-TV-2015.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Apple will be unable to deliver their rumored live TV-over-internet streaming service for the Apple TV until 2016. Content negotiations are reportedly stalling the launch of the service, which Apple had hoped to be ready for their rumored September 9th media event.
The company wanted to introduce this year a live TV service delivered via the Internet, but is now aiming for 2016, said people familiar with Apple's plans.
Apparently, pricing of the new TV service is one of the main hurdles in the negotiations. Bloomberg reports that Apple wants to offer "a package of popular channels" for $40/month, a significant discount from the average cable bill.

A new Apple TV set top box, however, is still said to be ready for release. The new Apple TV is rumored to have a touch-based remote control and full app store. Apple is expected to announce the new Apple TV on September 9th.

Article Link: Apple Live TV Service Not Coming Until 2016

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I thought the whole point of cutting the cables and going with services and boxes and whatnot was to get away from "live" TV and have TV happen when it's convenient for you. Apple lowering the cost of live TV is not the digital revolution I was hoping for.

I mean maybe it's a piece of leaked information that's been misinterpreted or maybe there's so much more than this to what Apple has in mind. But this alone does not feel like a step forward.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I thought the whole point of cutting the cables and going with services and boxes and whatnot was to get away from "live" TV and have TV happen when it's convenient for you. Apple lowering the cost of live TV is not the digital revolution I was hoping for.

I mean maybe it's a piece of leaked information that's been misinterpreted or maybe there's so much more than this to what Apple has in mind. But this alone does not feel like a step forward.

I don't know why, but for some reason a majority of people still prefer traditional television channels.

I personally don't and the constant advertising annoys me.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
There's still value in live tv. And like Sling TV, I would assume this will come with VOD. The problem with Sling TV is not every network supports VOD and not every network supports it the same way. But I have a feeling Apple will have these same issues as these networks are so against loosening control of their content.

Reactions: millerlite

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Lol, $40, most people won't even pay that.

Netflix may not be all that but for the price it is, it's going to slowly but surely destroy cable TV. The era of paying those huge subs is over.

True, 40USD per month is too expensive, I am very happy with amazon prime which is 99 Dollars per yr, and its totally amazing, plus you get so many other benefits like two days shipping, book lending on kindle, and host of other Prime features.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Not surprised actually. Given the recent devaluation of media companies stock in general if were Apple I'd wait also. These guys will soon be begging Apple for terms.

How lame can content companies be in that Apple could simply strike their own deals with producers and F the distributors. The distributors some how "think" consumers care what "brand" makes what.

Earth to VIACOM, FOX, UNIVERSAL, COMCAST, DISNEY -- there's a whole generation and one behind that who can give a s*** about your brands. You delaying a la carte sales of your programming will cost you handsomely as people continue to turn to other resources for content.

But by all means keep waiting!

Reactions: ewkp and nt5672

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
maybe they will introduce but no release til next spring? i mean ... shouldnt there be a SDK and months of betas for devs first

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
If you're going to do an Apple TV App Store you better consider making your own in-house physical buttoned hardware controller, Apple. If fact do more than consider it. There will be many games developed for this platform and if Apple plans to leave such a thing to the third party crowd ala that controller API they announced a year or two back that'd be a huge mistake. We're talking Pretty Women walking down the street, 'big mistake, big, huge; I have to go gaming now'.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There real elephant in the room is even when try cord cutting and just get internet plan it just makes more sense to get internet + TV (cable) because the price difference is not even that much maybe $5 or $10

Not everyone can get the prices you are quoting for the same channels that Apple's service might offer. There are still too many unknowns about Apple's service to do any type of accurate comparison.

Plus there could be many benefits of having an alternative service than traditional cable.

The biggest benefit would be more competition for Comcast, TWC, FiOS, Netflix, and others. There has been a lack of choices for most of us for way too long.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
New to Apple Live: contestants find themselves trapped in white rooms wearing grey v-necks and with their heads shaved. The only way out is to use as many multisyllabic synonyms for "innovative" as they can come up with!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.