Apple Live TV Service Not Coming Until 2016

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports that Apple will be unable to deliver their rumored live TV-over-internet streaming service for the Apple TV until 2016. Content negotiations are reportedly stalling the launch of the service, which Apple had hoped to be ready for their rumored September 9th media event.
    Apparently, pricing of the new TV service is one of the main hurdles in the negotiations. Bloomberg reports that Apple wants to offer "a package of popular channels" for $40/month, a significant discount from the average cable bill.

A new Apple TV set top box, however, is still said to be ready for release. The new Apple TV is rumored to have a touch-based remote control and full app store. Apple is expected to announce the new Apple TV on September 9th.

Article Link: Apple Live TV Service Not Coming Until 2016

2. joshuaclinton macrumors member

3. profets macrumors 601

As long as there's a new, more powerful Apple TV with an SDK coming I'll be more than happy.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

BeatsTV. Worldwide, Always on. Genre: Good shows.

5. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

It's like, every year they post the same garbage. "Here it comes! Here it comes! Here it comes! Here it comes! aaaaaaand next year."

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I thought Apple was releasing their own TV...

7. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

I thought the whole point of cutting the cables and going with services and boxes and whatnot was to get away from "live" TV and have TV happen when it's convenient for you. Apple lowering the cost of live TV is not the digital revolution I was hoping for.

I mean maybe it's a piece of leaked information that's been misinterpreted or maybe there's so much more than this to what Apple has in mind. But this alone does not feel like a step forward.

8. RosOne macrumors regular

As a European: Give me the new AppleTV, keep your channels

9. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

I don't know why, but for some reason a majority of people still prefer traditional television channels.

I personally don't and the constant advertising annoys me.

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

There's still value in live tv. And like Sling TV, I would assume this will come with VOD. The problem with Sling TV is not every network supports VOD and not every network supports it the same way. But I have a feeling Apple will have these same issues as these networks are so against loosening control of their content.

11. Laurence Eckert macrumors member

They had 3 YEARS to get prepared....how much longer are they gonna push it back for? And I feel like Apple would possibly get a lot of subscribers if they threw in an Apple Music membership with the Apple TV Service.

12. Yixian macrumors 65816

Lol, $40, most people won't even pay that.

Netflix may not be all that but for the price it is, it's going to slowly but surely destroy cable TV. The era of paying those huge subs is over.

13. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

14. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

There real elephant in the room is even when try cord cutting and just get internet plan it just makes more sense to get internet + TV (cable) because the price difference is not even that much maybe $5 or $10

15. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

what a surprise... another one of apple's projects that seems to be further delayed every few months

16. pankajdoharey macrumors regular

pankajdoharey

True, 40USD per month is too expensive, I am very happy with amazon prime which is 99 Dollars per yr, and its totally amazing, plus you get so many other benefits like two days shipping, book lending on kindle, and host of other Prime features.

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Yeah, I heard they finally cracked it.

18. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

Not surprised actually. Given the recent devaluation of media companies stock in general if were Apple I'd wait also. These guys will soon be begging Apple for terms.

How lame can content companies be in that Apple could simply strike their own deals with producers and F the distributors. The distributors some how "think" consumers care what "brand" makes what.

Earth to VIACOM, FOX, UNIVERSAL, COMCAST, DISNEY -- there's a whole generation and one behind that who can give a s*** about your brands. You delaying a la carte sales of your programming will cost you handsomely as people continue to turn to other resources for content.

But by all means keep waiting!

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

maybe they will introduce but no release til next spring? i mean ... shouldnt there be a SDK and months of betas for devs first

20. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

That rumor is from 2006 and keeps getting renewed every year.

You'd think people would realize by now that it was completely fictitious.

21. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Next week will be the article the new Apple Tv is not quite ready yet

22. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

If you're going to do an Apple TV App Store you better consider making your own in-house physical buttoned hardware controller, Apple. If fact do more than consider it. There will be many games developed for this platform and if Apple plans to leave such a thing to the third party crowd ala that controller API they announced a year or two back that'd be a huge mistake. We're talking Pretty Women walking down the street, 'big mistake, big, huge; I have to go gaming now'.

23. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

The game changer would be sports. Probably never happen though. Too much money involved.

24. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Not everyone can get the prices you are quoting for the same channels that Apple's service might offer. There are still too many unknowns about Apple's service to do any type of accurate comparison.

Plus there could be many benefits of having an alternative service than traditional cable.

The biggest benefit would be more competition for Comcast, TWC, FiOS, Netflix, and others. There has been a lack of choices for most of us for way too long.

25. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

New to Apple Live: contestants find themselves trapped in white rooms wearing grey v-necks and with their heads shaved. The only way out is to use as many multisyllabic synonyms for "innovative" as they can come up with!