Apple Logo color change

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I did a search on this topic, but no results.
    Has anyone here tried/done this to their MacBook? The site that sells it say it is extremely difficult. MacBook Pro is easier. I like to hear your input if you've attemped this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Looks good:confused:..... but
    Seriously I'd rather prefer a sticker of some sort that I can stick right over the logo!

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I was looking into trying it myself but decided to dump it as one would have to take the screen out if you want to do it on a macbook. I'm too nervous about doing it myself, though I have found some good guides on it. I trust you have too. There's no other way around it, so I too am considering a sticker of some sort =)

4. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I ordered a new MacBook 2.1Ghz and the rainbow logo today. Both should be here sometime next week. I will post detailed DIY with pictures. Wish me luck! :)

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Be sure to post a link to it here in this thread, can't wait to see it! Every DIY thread I read pushes me closer and closer to trying this myself :eek:

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

http://www.icolours.ca/

Site that has instructions and sell them.

Thought that would be a useful aset to this thread.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's difficult because it requires you to remove your panel and it's easy to break and lose stuff, but otherwise it's shouldn't be too difficult.

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

9. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

WOW, they could just make a sticker??? Totally not worth it IMO. I'd prefer a crooked sticker.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, no, pretty much nobody. Most of us aren't in to disassembling a MacBook just to alter the logo. Cost:benefit ratio is seriously out of whack.

11. Eric. macrumors regular

Apple is certainly going to question you if you end up with any issues with that computer later on. I wouldn't do it unless you want to disassemble it to remove that later on for a repair.

12. vniow macrumors G4

Awww, someone has no sense of style.

Hm, thanks for the above link to iColours, I may be doing this soon when I upgrade my MB come next generation. I replace the LCD panels on these regularly so I don't imagine it being difficult. Will report back once its complete.

13. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

The ONLY way this would be worth it, IMHO, would be if you replaced the LCD screen with a matte one, and then added the color just for some added fun. But taking it all apart with the risk of potentially breaking a working computer just so that you have a pretty blue Apple, isn't worth it.

But I just had an idea that it would be cool if apple added color options to the Apples on your Macs....

14. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I really want to do this, I'm just petrified that I'll cock up whilst removing the screen. I mean c'mon, a BlackBook with a green Apple? AWESOME.

Just wish I trusted my hands enough to do it...

15. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Man I know! Too bad we dont live in the same neighbourhood, If we did I'd say we should meet up one evening and dismantle our macbooks together over a couple of cold beers :)

16. vniow macrumors G4

Its really not that difficult to take apart, replacing the LCD is relatively moderate but can be done in about 30 minutes. This should take less time and effort.

17. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I think that most time consuming part of this DIY is sanding & polishing the logo to remove the white paint.

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I've done it to all my computers (iBookG4, MB, MBP). The MB isn't difficult, just keep track of your screws. The LCD is pretty durable (don't toss it around) and will fair well with a reasonable amount of delicacy. The sanding does take some time, and I could recommend laying down a cover over the LCD after its down to ensure that you don't get everything all dusty. I think my MB took about... 10 minutes to assemble and disassemble, and a half hour to sand the apple down to glossy perfection (I went through 200, 400, and 1200-wet papers, and buffed it with my dremel).

19. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I was thinking of 1000 or 2000 wet sand then polish with 3M rubbing compond.

I am more worried about the trim piece breaking off. Your thoughts on that?

20. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Style?? It looks totally ugly

21. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

wu hoo!

Logo party!

But seriously, guys, save the brews for AFTER the machines get put back together...

22. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

I've done this to my MacBook. It's not hard to do, just unscrew the screen, sand paper the old logo and replace it with the new one. It took about 30 minutes in total. My hard drive recently failed so I took it instore to get it changed under warranty and the mac genius simply said 'oh man, I'm not even going to ask how you did this' when she saw the new logo then went ahead and installed the new hard drive.

23. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

man that's cool I'm getting a Macbook soon and would love to do this but I would trash it. :(

24. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

A quick brandy to calm the nerves kinda thing lol :D

Seriously... the more people are saying its not all that hard, the more I'm itching to do it. To the extent that I have some green acetate here (methinks you Yanks call it something else because my spellchecker didn't like acetate) and I have worked out that to get the shade of green I want I need to use two layers of acetate :cool:

25. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I checked out the installation instructions and I wouldn't say it's worth it for a Macbook. I'm still an MB newbie but I can NOT imagine risking damage to the MB just for the the benefit of a colored apple. Comparing the installation process for the MB vs. the iBook just seems unfair - it would be so easy!

Oh man, it would!