Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Well, maybe just on powerbooks made in the last decade! :eek:
Eject key is "just on PowerBooks made in the last decade?"

Oh okay, well actually, my PowerBook was made last decade, yet less than five years ago.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The eject button is on the very top and the very right of the keyboard. The last key on the top and the last key on the right. You can't possibly miss it. Put in a disc, and then hold down that button, and watch in amazement as the disc pops out!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iMeowbot said:
An accidental Cmd-Ctrl-Eject here and there is always fun too.

What does that do? I just pressed it and Remote Desktop (which I had hidden) asked whether I was sure I wanted to quit :confused:

Edit: And now it popped up again and told me that logout failed. So I assume Cmd-Ctrl-Eject means log out.

zcohan

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2002
Sydney
Font on Apple Keyboards

While we are talking about Apple Fonts, does anyone know exactly which font apple uses on its keyboards? Its light and slightly italic and I would love to know exactly what it is.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Raven VII said:
The eject button is on the very top and the very right of the keyboard. The last key on the top and the last key on the right. You can't possibly miss it. Put in a disc, and then hold down that button, and watch in amazement as the disc pops out!
Hmm, the key in that exact location on my keyboard is the F12 key.

I did put in a disc, and then pressed that F12 key,... hmm nothing happened. So then I held down that F12 key,... and watched in amazement as the disc popped out! Holy disc ejecters Batman! Five years with this PowerBook and I never knew F12 ejected the disc. Something new is learned everyday. Tho' I think of all the times I have used Exposé (F9, F10, F11) and the delete key, that I would have accidently hit F12 and learned that ejected the disc. Wow. I can't wait to tell everyone else about this.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Re: Font on Apple Keyboards

zcohan said:
While we are talking about Apple Fonts, does anyone know exactly which font apple uses on its keyboards? Its light and slightly italic and I would love to know exactly what it is.
The keyboard font used on all iBook models and 2003 and later PowerBooks is VAG Rounded, a variation on Helvetica Rounded.

Apple's other keyboards use Univers Italic on the keycaps.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Nermal said:
Edit: And now it popped up again and told me that logout failed. So I assume Cmd-Ctrl-Eject means log out.
Yeah, if you didn't have a sticky process refusing to let you log out, if would have proceeded to reboot. It's annoying because Command-Option-Eject is the shortcut for sleep.

Fortunately, Tiger makes it easy to disable the control key, and move control up to the caps lock key where it belongs.

ghernagon

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2004
Caracas - Venezuela
Apple logo...

Dear friends.. If you turn your keyboard languaje lo Spanish ISO (I use it because I live in Venezuela and my Keyboard is in Spanish).. if you turn it, you can press in any text box ALT KEY OR OPTION KEY and letter G and you'll have the apple logo -.- I don't know if with the keyboard in english (languaje input) you'll have the same result.. but in spanish YEAP!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sacear said:
Eject key is "just on PowerBooks made in the last decade?"

Oh okay, well actually, my PowerBook was made last decade, yet less than five years ago.

Ahhh, are you talking about the Pismo? I only noticed the 180 in your signature when I wrote that! :eek: The 180 is a pretty old computer, isn't it?

It was just a joke, sorry if it offended. I guess it must have, since you came back and edited it. So I really am sorry.

I'm not sure when it started being on the keyboards, but my guess is the TiBook and the white iBooks....

And EDIT: Yes, there is an eject icon painted on the F12 key on newer models....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iMeowbot said:
Fortunately, Tiger makes it easy to disable the control key, and move control up to the caps lock key where it belongs.

Where it belongs? I've been using computers for 15+ years (admittedly mainly DOS/Windows) and can't recall ever seeing Control up there.

mkrishnan said:
And EDIT: Yes, there is an eject icon painted on the F12 key on newer models....

My iBook came with a sticker on the CD tray saying to hold F12 to eject.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
EDIT: I should really stop talking. :rolleyes:

Nermal, out of curiosity, what do you mean by CD Tray? You have an iBook G4, correct? Doesn't it have a slot-loading drive?

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Ahhh, are you talking about the Pismo? I only noticed the 180 in your signature when I wrote that! :eek: The 180 is a pretty old computer, isn't it?

It was just a joke, sorry if it offended. I guess it must have, since you came back and edited it. So I really am sorry.

I'm not sure when it started being on the keyboards, but my guess is the TiBook and the white iBooks....

Yes, the PowerBook 180 is relatively old, early to mid-nineties, last decade.

Nothing offended me. I edited because at first I tho't my Pismo was made this decade, yet then I realized 2000 is last decade. You posted that "Eject key is just on PowerBooks made in the last decade." So that is from 1991 to 2000. My Pismo was made in November 2000 so less than five years ago, so obviously less than ten years ago, yet previous decade. So I was figuring that out. I merely corrected my own comment in my post. So no offense taken. I didn't even realize you were joking.

My PowerBook 180 was definitely made in the last decade and I've been meaning to look at its keyboard to see if there is an Eject key. I don't remember one. However, the PB 180 has a floppy drive, so an Eject key would be nice.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sacear said:
My PowerBook 180 was definitely made in the last decade and I've been meaning to look at its keyboard to see if there is an Eject key. I don't remember one. However, the PB 180 has a floppy drive, so an Eject key would be nice.

Okay, I'm glad I didn't offend you! :eek:

I *do* definitely remember the days of Apple's motorized floppy drives and their de rigeur accessory, the unfolded paper clip. :D Sad am I not that they are gone! ;)

I think it is going to get weird and confusing, for Apple users, though, as the standards break down. Like the Mac Mini is really the first time that a *lot* of new Apple users have been walking around using keyboards not designed for Macs. And as OS X develops, there are more and more confusing demands on the function keys -- screen backlight, sound level, num lock, keyboard backlight, Exposé, now Dashboard, and Eject. And then not all Apples have all of these functions.

And there's also the business of which keys act as function keys with and without pressing the Fn key -- for instance, on my iBook, I have to press Fn-F12 if I map F12 to Dashboard. But apparently some other keyboards allow you to just tap F12 to get DB and hold it to get eject? If I have DB assigned to one of the F7-F11, I do not have to use Fn. (I have my keyboard set so that the other keys, such as F1/F2, do their printed function, such as brightness, with a press and act as F-keys with Fn-.)

*But*, I really like having the markings on the keys. I'd like it if Apple put markings on the rest of the Function keys for the Exposé and Dashboard functions. :) There's a lot of goodness hidden in the Apple keyboard, like these de-lovely diacritical marks that are so much easier to use than in Windows.... :) But then I suppose the keyboard would get too cluttered.... :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mkrishnan said:
Nermal, out of curiosity, what do you mean by CD Tray? You have an iBook G4, correct? Doesn't it have a slot-loading drive?

I had a white iBook G3, with tray-loading drive, and now have a G4 tower. Hopefully that clears things up :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nermal said:
I had a white iBook G3, with tray-loading drive, and now have a G4 tower. Hopefully that clears things up :)

Not that it's a big deal, obviously, but I didn't even realize that there were white iBooks that had tray-loaders, G3 or G4. Interesting! :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Nermal said:
Where it belongs? I've been using computers for 15+ years (admittedly mainly DOS/Windows) and can't recall ever seeing Control up there.
Yes, the heresy of putting the control key down at the bottom was an evil introduced by IBM. Some other IBM systems had Ctrl keys Down There, but that was reasonable because traditionally it wasn't frequently used n their odd little world where everything was an emulated punch card. For the PC it was out of place, since unlike traditional IBM machines the PC was an ASCII machine and used sane (that is, non-IBM) character sequences.

All proper ASCII keyboards put Ctrl to the left of A. Teletype put it there, DEC put it there, LSI put it there, Sun put it there, most micros (at least those that had Ctrl keys) put it there, even the Apple II got it right!

The early Macs didn't even have control keys, and this may have been part of the vector that allowed misplaced control key disease to infect the Apple universe. For a brief, shining moment, it appeared that Apple had come to their senses. The first ADB keyboards added control to the left of A as all right-thinking people would have it, but then came the relapse. The dreaded Apple Extended Keyboard didn't merely omit control, but put it Down There in the Evil Place, spraining pinkies far and wide. It's all been downhill from there.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Nermal said:
Where did Caps Lock go then?
Real computers don't use lowercase :p But typical locations for fancy terminals with useless extra buttons were next to Ctrl, or sometimes Down There where Eeeeeeevil IBM put Ctrl.

See, this here is a proper keyboard!

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
iMeowbot said:
Yes, the heresy of putting the control key down at the bottom was an evil introduced by IBM. Some other IBM systems had Ctrl keys Down There, but that was reasonable because traditionally it wasn't frequently used n their odd little world where everything was an emulated punch card. For the PC it was out of place, since unlike traditional IBM machines the PC was an ASCII machine and used sane (that is, non-IBM) character sequences.
I think that is because micro PCs were being marketed at the time as a replacement for the typewriter. Hence, the similar keyboard layout.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
sacear said:
I think that is because micro PCs were being marketed at the time as a replacement for the typewriter. Hence, the similar keyboard layout.
Well see, there's the eeeeevil part. Way back on the first IBM PCs and XTs, IBM used a nice little keyboard (the one with the function keys on the left instead of the top) that had Ctrl in the One True Correct Position, and the silly useless caps lock key was stuffed over to the right of the space bar. The original, somewhat autonomous PC group understood the way things should be, and life was good until IBM noticed that those little machines were actually selling.

xt.gif

Gorgeous, ain't it? You can actually find your way around the whole keyboard without taking your eyes off the screen.

It was when the IBM PC line went all corporate and they brought out the extended keyboard that the silliness from the mainframe world took over. Ctrl was moved Down there in the Evil Position because it seerved double duty as the Reset key in the IBM 3270 emulator (and the Reset key, being evil in itself, did deserve that location). The caps lock thing? Ugh, it didn't even work as a proper typewriter shift lock! Putting it in the traditional Selectric position confused as many people as it helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.