Apple Logo on back of Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DannyNguyener, May 23, 2010.

1. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

What material is it made out of? I argue it is plastic, making it more vulnerable to scratches, while others argue it is glass, making it more resistant. I've decided not to get a case since it is already made out of aluminum and a case seems to ruin the natural look and feel of the iPad. I'm asking this question because the apple logo is the primary spot that will touch the surface everytime the ipad is laid down.

2. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Plastic. I was bored one evening and decided to cut an Apple shaped piece out of my old Power Support Anti Glare screen protector on my 3GS. It has worked well so far, and sorry if the pictures don't make it too noticeable :)

Attached Files:

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Plastic.

Just decide to let it scratch and use the iPad the way you want.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Feels softer to me so I think it is plastic.

Do your self a favor and get a decent sleeve like the Incase so you can set your device down and not worry about scratching. It also makes it easer to hold and use.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I always thought it was metal because someone told me that was the wifi antenna well I guess im wrong I'll play with my iPad later

7. DKatri macrumors 6502

It's plastic because it's the antenna. Or at least covers the antenna.
    Radio signals have a hard time getting through metal. That's why the first gen iPhone's signal wasn't that great compared to the 3G

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I prefer the peace of mind THIS gives, so I don't have to worry when I put the iPad down on any surface. :D

9. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Do any of you guys have any experiences without a case? Does it hold up well from scratches?

10. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

My silicone case has a hole to show the plastic apple and it is thick enough that the apple remains scratch-free and smudge-free because it never touches whatever I place it upon. I suppose if there is an antenna behind it it is good for that too.

[​IMG]

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't use a case because i think it totally kills the look and feel of the device. i'd rather just use it and be happy instead of being o.c.d about it. obviously i have to be a bit careful with it, but nothing over the top. just making sure there isnt anything on a table top to scratch it when i put it down. i dont have any scratches so far and i've had it a few weeks, just be careful with it and enjoy. and if you really dont want to cover the ipad itself, just get a protective sleeve to slip it into

12. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

SGP sells vinyl skins with the apple logo cut out - and included in the package is a clear, vinyl, pre-cut apple logo designed to protect the plastic logo.

You might inquire if they are willing to sell these logos as a separate item. Or heck, it may be worth just getting the whole back skin for $20+. I sure did.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1321

13. Hendersonjase macrumors newbie

Scratch less with smart cover

I only use a smart cover but lay it down with the logo up. The pretty case doesn't get scratched and my personalized inscription is nicely displayed also.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I think it is very hard plastic.

I have no case or skin on the back of mine. One day my brother and his wife were visiting, they were playing with my iPad and shoving it back and forth to each other across a picnic table. Not a scratch on it, apple logo or aluminum.

Just to be safe, I am getting a case to put on it for the next time relatives visit.

15. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Yea get a smart cover and you'll be good.

But it's not that serious. Just enjoy the pad.

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I agree, but I don't think anyone realizes that this topic is from 2010 when there was no iPad 2 or smartcover for the original iPad...

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's plastic, but I agree with others and say don't worry about it too much. If you have the smart cover, you can lay it face down; when open, you can fold it over the back and logo.

On the iPad 1, it also had one of the wifi antennas behind it.

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

19. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

This is a post from 2010 asking about the original iPad (not iPad 2), for which there is no smartcover. Am I the only one who realizes this?

20. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Nope the person a few posts above you realised too.

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Umm.... that "person" was me.

22. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Haha I didn't even realise :p

23. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

You gotta be pretty bored to have a discussion about the apple logo on the back of an iPad. :D yet here I am, adding to it. ;) lol