Apple Looking Into LTE Connectivity Issues Affecting Some iPhone XS and XS Max Owners

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

FWIW, I've seen my current XS get 120Mbps D/Ls in some areas, on LTE. Never witnessed that before. Also, real impressed with its battery life.

2. Sci_Tech macrumors member

Did you originally buy your phone through Apple or Verizon? Wondering if Apple can exchange mine again even though I bought mine through Verizon.

3. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

From Verizon. I had been dealing with Apple Support since late October.

4. Sci_Tech macrumors member

Thanks! I think I will reach out to Apple support again and see if they can exchange my device a second time.

5. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

I’m just glad they finally sent me a replacement.

6. Sci_Tech macrumors member

I went to the Apple store a couple days ago and they refused to exchange it a second time. The first time they did it as a courtesy to me because they couldn't prove it was hardware related. Now 4 months later and after 3-4 updates, I still have issues. The only thing they could do was escalate my issue to the Apple engineers. May I ask how you got them to replace it again?

7. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

I had issues w/ LTE with my old launch day XS Max. I got it replaced and Apple gave me a faulty manufactured replacement unit. They replaced it with another device to fix the issue. My XS Max seems to be fine now. I have seen as high as 127 MBPS download and 45.8 MBPS upload on my device.

The problem isn't the speeds, rather it's the drop off between Intel and Qualcomm. That in-of-itself is an issue since Apple-Qualcomm issues continue to fester. Intel is worse, simple as that. One of the reasons why I wouldn't mind switching back to an Android device later in 2019 if presented with the right opportunity to do so.

8. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

After an update in January, I conducted several Speedtests that were still unacceptably slow.

So I contacted Apple again (first time this year (but have been in touch with them since October 20th)), and told them I’ve done everything I could on my end to troubleshoot and update.

They agreed, and decided it was time to send me a replacement.

9. jim29411 macrumors member

Good luck with the replacement. It's really hit and miss from what I am reading in another thread on this forum that is now up to 168 pages. :(

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I’ll bet some hardware changes have been made along the line as the manufacturing of the max has progressed in time. We’ll never know. I get god speeds but lousy bars. Never dropped a call. In fact in some places my 6s phone calls weren’t great quality the max holds the signal fine.

Don’t need gigabit speeds these are fast enough unless I’m downloading multi gigabytes of data in some hypothetical scenario.

Attached Files:

11. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Is that 2.71 MBPS download an outlier?

12. I7guy, Feb 14, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:23 PM

I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I might have been in my basement. My 6s got virtually no LTE there. (I can't remember exactly, but it's an outlier)

Edit: I just tried a speedtest in my living room and got 56/5. That is at least double what I would get with my 6s.

13. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

It is unfortunate Qualcomm no longer supplies Apple with that hardware.

14. jim29411 macrumors member

Yes it is really unfortunate. Apple was penny-wise, pound-foolish. A very bad decision.