Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in talks to sign Toronto-born rapper Drake, hip-hop artist Pharrell Williams and electronic music DJ David Guetta as guest DJs for a revamped iTunes Radio, according to the New York Post. The report also claims that Apple continues to negotiate with record labels for Apple Music and wants to offer a three-month free trial period for the $10-a-month streaming music service.

iTunes-Radio-Devices-800x411.jpg

Apple Music will reportedly combine the best features of Pandora, Spotify and YouTube into one service, including streaming music and video, artist pages, a YouTube-style sharing section called Apple Connect and a refreshed version of iTunes Radio. Apple also wanted to offer lyrics as part of the service, but does not want to pay extra to record labels to offer the feature.

Apple is expected to announce its new streaming music service on June 8 at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, building upon the assets it acquired through its Beats Music purchase last year. The company will reportedly push customers to sign up for Apple Music by offering SoundCloud-like sharing, exclusive content and the aforementioned three-month free trial period.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Sign Drake, Pharrell and David Guetta as iTunes Radio Guest DJs

Reactions: devinthomas

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
What dispiriting news.

The only good rap songs to have ever been written were a few hits of the 80s performed by the Beastie Boys, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Starlight Express), the Rock Steady Crew and the like.

Since then, all we have had is thuggish animal music whose advocates were particularly prevalent during the Ferguson riots.

Apple aligning itself with violent thugs, sadly, doesn't surprise me these days. Let us all look forward to a time when rap and hippo-hop music is wiped off the face of the earth forever; that will be a great day for humanity and the fight against evil.

$10 a month streaming will, of course, be a failure. But Apple knows that; it hardly wants to kill its golden goose, iTunes. It's just a sop to current trends, like the Apple Watch. Wearables will soon revert to dismal failure. The great thing is, however, that tech will get cheaper, and, in the light of such failure, will be a boon to us all.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
What dispiriting news.

The only good rap songs to have ever been written were a few hits of the 80s performed by the Beastie Boys, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Starlight Express), the Rock Steady Crew and the like.

Since then, all we have had is thuggish animal music whose advocates were particularly prevalent during the Ferguson riots.

Apple aligning itself with violent thugs, sadly, doesn't surprise me these days. Let us all look forward to a time when rap and hippo-hop music is wiped off the face of the earth forever; that will be a great day for humanity and the fight against evil.

$10 a month streaming will, of course, be a failure. But Apple knows that; it hardly wants to kill its golden goose, iTunes. It's just a sop to current trends, like the Apple Watch. Wearables will soon revert to dismal failure. The great thing is, however, that tech will get cheaper, and, in the light of such failure, will be a boon to us all.

A+ trolling

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Is anyone else as thoroughly unexcited about WWDC as I am? I'm curious to see this new music offering, but it's not exactly keeping me up at night.

I'm excited. Mainly because of the streaming service. I want to see if Apple can actually produce a better product than anyone else. Not just something that people will argue over, something where I genuinely think "I want that in my life. I'd want it even if it was Microsoft or Google offering it to me."

Kind of like Google Photos. I really like Apple products and that kept me on Photos for OS X for a few days. Then my love of a good product took over, and I switched.

Also, it will be fascinating to see how they handle the fact it'll be available on Android. If they have an Android app demo, what hardware will we see used on stage? Android running on iPhone?

Just my nerdy take.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Music is subjective, though. People say Justin Bieber produces "bad" music. Yet when hundreds of thousands of people enjoy his music, it's hard to say it's bad, as there's no objective way of deciding whether it's good or bad.

I couldn't disagree more.

There is good music and bad music. Whether one likes it or not is another matter.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I couldn't disagree more.

There is good music and bad music. Whether one likes it or not is another matter.

I'd agree that within a specific genre that can be certain artists that are considered bad, and certain ones that are considered good. Even that is subjective though. You have to understand that, for many people, music isn't so much about how it sounds as it is about what it means to them. The tunes of childhood, the tunes that make you remember your loved ones, that kind of thing. Music is so incredibly subjective that, while it's fine to have a personal opinion as to what constitutes good and bad music, it is foolish to believe that what you personally consider good and bad is some kind of universal truth. It isn't even remotely so.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Good that they're talking about having actual DJs though - so hopefully we'll have Zane Lowe back before too long, and he isn't just going to be doing behind the scenes music curation stuff.

Annie Mac is good, but she's just not Zane.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA

Apple is in talks to sign Toronto-born rapper Drake, hip-hop artist Pharrell Williams and electronic music DJ David Guetta as guest DJs for a revamped iTunes Radio, according to the New York Post. The report also claims that Apple continues to negotiate with record labels for Apple Music and wants to offer a three-month free trial period for the $10-a-month streaming music service.

iTunes-Radio-Devices-800x411.jpg

Apple Music will reportedly combine the best features of Pandora, Spotify and YouTube into one service, including streaming music and video, artist pages, a YouTube-style sharing section called Apple Connect and a refreshed version of iTunes Radio. Apple also wanted to offer lyrics as part of the service, but does not want to pay extra to record labels to offer the feature.

Apple is expected to announce its new streaming music service on June 8 at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, building upon the assets it acquired through its Beats Music purchase last year. The company will reportedly push customers to sign up for Apple Music by offering SoundCloud-like sharing, exclusive content and the aforementioned three-month free trial period.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Sign Drake, Pharrell and David Guetta as iTunes Radio Guest DJs

WOW, just WOW!! Drake???? Pharrell?? Really Apple??? Im at a loss for words!! I'm sure the commenters will have a field day with this come Monday morning.

Reactions: Mums and attila
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.