Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today told Reuters that the company is "rethinking" iPhone prices outside of the United States. Setting prices in U.S. dollars has made phones more expensive in local currencies, so Apple is planning to lower prices.

Cook says that in some international markets, after assessing macroeconomic conditions, Apple will go back to pricing that's "more commensurate" with what local prices were last year to boost sales.

iphone-xs-vs-xr-800x700.jpg
"When you look at foreign currencies and then particularly those markets that weakened over the last year those (iPhone price) increases were obviously more," Cook told Reuters. "And so as we've gotten into January and assessed the macroeconomic condition in some of those markets we've decided to go back to more commensurate with what our local prices were a year ago in hopes of helping the sales in those areas."
Apple has already started lowering the price of the iPhone for third-party distributors in China, and price cuts could also be introduced in other areas like India and Brazil, where the iPhone is prohibitively expensive and has seen stalled growth due to high pricing.

Cook may provide details on specific areas where price cuts will be implemented during the earnings call.

Article Link: Apple Lowering iPhone Prices in Some International Markets to Boost Sales

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Used to be people would come to the US to buy their Apple toys.... now we get to go to Brazil! Can anyone say "Mardi Gras'. Oh yeah.

Reactions: Aston441

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The iPhone X is great, when I got it for $400 off on Black Friday. Drop the damn prices Apple.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Lower the prices in the U.S. too. The flagship phone has raised in price three years in row. Should be no more than $1,000 for the base model. Apple getting greedy and which causes people to upgrade less frequently due to skyrocketing cost over the last few years.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
why not lower prices in the US as well? I mean damn, we make up most of their sales.
If they just edged down XS/Max base USD prices to something like $899 and $999 I think that'd probably go a long way to solving this issue globally. Ultimately their earnings released today show it's still in their interests to keep the iPhone user base growing to help service revenues (which are heavily tied to iPhone success). If they have to cut into iPhone profits, but a more sustainable trajectory is the reward, I still think the markets will react positively.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
If they just edged down XS/Max base USD prices to something like $899 and $999 I think that'd probably go a long way to solving this issue globally. Ultimately their earnings released today show it's still in their interests to keep the iPhone user base growing to help service revenues (which are heavily tied to iPhone success). If they have to cut into iPhone profits, but a more sustainable trajectory is the reward, I still think the markets will react positively.
They already have lowered the prices in the US by increasing trade-in values of older phones up to $100 (on the 6 plus, 6s and 6s plus). And comparatively the phones have always been cheaper in the US than any other country.
Apple will ride the wave until September not announcing a price drop, and then you’ll see a 32GB XR at $599 in Sept.

Reactions: nawnp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.