Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced its iPhone 12 lineup, and as was rumored, all four models ship without EarPods or a power adapter in the box. Starting today, the iPhone 11, iPhone XR, and iPhone SE will no longer include these accessories either.

earpods-lower-price.jpg

Apple's website encourages customers to use their existing Apple power adapter and headphones or buy these accessories separately, and to help offset the cost, Apple has now lowered the price of its EarPods with a Lightning connector from $29 to $19. Apple's new 20W power adapter for iPhones also retails for $19, down from $29 for its now-discontinued 18W power adapter that was included with the iPhone 11 lineup until now.

Apple touted the environmental benefits of no longer including EarPods or a power adapter with iPhones, noting that the move reduces carbon emissions and avoids the mining and use of rare-earth elements. iPhone 12 models also ship in a thinner box as a result, with Apple claiming that it can fit 70 percent more iPhone boxes on a single pallet during shipping.

Apple added that many customers have switched to wireless headphones like AirPods, and said there are over two billion Apple power adapters in the world, implying that many customers no longer need these accessories.

Last month, the Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE launched without power adapters in the box, so it is no surprise that iPhones have followed suit. However, all iPad models are still bundled with power adapters in the box for now.

Article Link: Apple Lowers Price of EarPods by $10 Now That They Aren't Included With iPhones

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Good. Now all the people complaining about Apple being greedy can stop saying those frivolous things.

Including EarPods sucks for the environment. Instead, Apple can use *SOME* of the money saved towards reinvesting in R&D in other areas. (yes, OF COURSE they'll pocket some of that savings too)

EDIT:

If you don't believe me:

I rest my case.

Last edited:

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
In the past, they've gotten close to $10 when on sale. Could always have the one with the 3.5mm jack as a spare.

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
While limiting box size and earpods is good for the environment, so is printing fewer bills and making fewer digital transactions ;)

Reactions: AlyMourad

revelcos

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
They had the "COURAGE" to remove the 3.5 mm audio jack. But when would they have the "COURAGE" to put USB C connector on iPhones? Wouldn't be more convenient and ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY for all these years if I could use the same adapter and the same cable for my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook? Corporate greed at the highest level!

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Good. Now all the people complaining about Apple being greedy can stop saying those frivolous things.

Including EarPods sucks for the environment. Instead, Apple can use *SOME* of the money saved towards reinvesting in R&D in other areas. (yes, OF COURSE they'll pocket some of that savings too)
Well said. I still have new, unused EarPods and charging bricks. Even when you trade in your old devices, you keep these items — so I have plenty on hand — I don’t need or even want more.

There will be people whining about this and claiming the motivation behind it is greed — but you can’t argue with the environmental impact they are negating by this move. I’m sure other manufacturers will follow their lead, just as they typically do.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What happened to when Apple's headphones had the remote in the cable?

I'm really unimpressed with the controls on the AirPods... they aught to have way more tap/swipe capabilities than they do, especially given the price.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Manufacturing and shipping 3 boxes instead of 1 is way better for the environment, clearly.

Well. Instead of selling 217 million headphones, chargers to collect dust in a box large enough to contain them and the phone, they can sell 217 million phones in substantially smaller boxes and then sell the headphones or chargers separately to those who want them. there won’t be 217 million charger purchases.

so yes, this is much better for the environment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well said. I still have new, unused EarPods and charging bricks. Even when you trade in your old devices, you keep these items — so I have plenty on hand — I don’t need or even want more.

There will be people whining about this and claiming the motivation behind it is greed — but you can’t argue with the environmental impact they are negating by this move. I’m sure other manufacturers will follow their lead, just as they typically do.
But then there's this:
I think they forgot that about 99% of those "2 billion Apple power adapters in the world" are USB-A, which won't work with the new Lightning to USB-C cord shipping with all new iPhones... smh

• Disagree
Reactions: SBlue1 and brucemr

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well. Instead of selling 217 million headphones, chargers to collect dust in a box large enough to contain them and the phone, they can sell 217 million phones in substantially smaller boxes and then sell the headphones or chargers separately to those who want them. there won’t be 217 million charger purchases.

so yes, this is much better for the environment
Not factoring in all the extra things that would have to go along with separate headphone and charger shipments and deliveries which will all be extra compared to before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.