Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Lowers Price of MacBook Pro's High-End SSD Upgrade Options

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside a refresh of the iMac and new Radeon Pro Vega graphics options for the iMac Pro, Apple today quietly lowered the price of some of the storage upgrade options for the MacBook Pro.

2TB and 4TB SSD upgrade options for 13 and 15-inch machines are now more affordable, with Apple dropping prices as much as $400.

Upgrading to 2TB of storage on the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models is now $200 cheaper, while upgrading to 4TB on the 15-inch MacBook Pro is $400 cheaper.

SSD upgrade pricing for the MacBook Pro models is below:

Entry level 15-inch MacBook Pro:
  • 512GB SSD - +$200 (No change)
  • 1TB SSD - +$600 (No change)
  • 2TB SSD - +$1,200 ($200 off)
  • 4TB SSD - +$3,000 ($400 off)
Higher-end 15-inch MacBook Pro:
  • 1TB SSD - +$400 (No change)
  • 2TB SSD - +$1,000 ($200 off)
  • 4TB SSD - +$2,800 ($400 off)
Entry level 13-inch MacBook Pro:
  • 512GB SSD - +$200 (No change)
  • 1TB SSD - +$600 (No change)
  • 2TB SSD - +$1,200 ($200 off)
Higher-end 13-inch MacBook Pro:
  • 1TB SSD - +$400 (No change)
  • 2TB SSD - +$1,000 ($200 off)
It's not unusual for Apple to adjust storage prices for its products, especially at the higher end, as prices fluctuate and come down over time after a machine has been released. Apple has changed storage prices for various Macs multiple times over the years.

Apple's MacBook Pro models are not designed to have the SSD upgraded after purchase as the storage is soldered to the motherboard, so the price drop is nice to see for those who want to purchase more storage to futureproof their machines.

Article Link: Apple Lowers Price of MacBook Pro's High-End SSD Upgrade Options

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Due to this pricing change now, I'm assuming the MacBook Pros aren't going to be updated too?
[doublepost=1553013917][/doublepost]
Cool. Don't lower the price on the sizes people actually care about! Who the F needs more than 1TB of SSD storage? Let alone, more than 256? Everything can be saved online.

Sure, that's great if the internet is available anywhere you go, at suitable speeds.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Cool. Don't lower the price on the sizes people actually care about! Who the F needs more than 1TB of SSD storage? Let alone, more than 256? Everything can be saved online.

Except for 4K raw video.

But otherwise I agree.

It’s be nice to see a price drop across the board. I’m not one to upgrade within 3 years but I might if I can get 2tb and beefier gfx for a moderate price after selling my current machine.

Maybe they want to push people into 4tb ssds instead of iCloud.

Comment

linxy33

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Im starting to think we are about to get a MBP.. this week.

Apple knows intel is rather flaky with their processor releases and they need a fix. I think we could see just a redesign coming very very very soon with no new specs. Just a design that can handle the thermals and has a new display.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel
Comment

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Who is this Apple... lowering prices... insane! they are doomed. no doubt will close their doors this year! you've heard it here first lol.

Reactions: GuruZac
Comment

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Oh nice, so it no longer costs your first born plus your right arm?

On a more serious note, it's a welcome change. They do offer some of the fastest storage on the market, so we pay the premium. I am fine with it, but this is good news.

Comment

DaveRivera

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
New England
Developer here. I use the space for many virtual machines (4 100GB+ MacOS VMs, 5 150GB+ Windows VMs, and about 15 Linux VMs, of various shapes and sizes, all for testing and development purposes), the development environments installed in my main MacOS install, and my Windows Bootcamp install, plus the 300GB+ of games I have installed that I play with my wife...Right now, I need an external drive for some of that because I can't fit it all in 1TB. I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a new MackBook Pro with 4TB of storage. Would make me much more efficient without having to swap around stuff between internal and external drives.

Just really waiting a bit to see if the 16" Macbook Pro rumor has any meat to it...

Last edited:
Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Im starting to think we are about to get a MBP.. this week.

Apple knows intel is rather flaky with their processor releases and they need a fix. I think we could see just a redesign coming very very very soon with no new specs. Just a design that can handle the thermals and has a new display.
No chance. And I haven’t been following the issue since they issued the initial fix, but aren’t the thermals sufficient to meet the spec? Specifically, I don’t refer to hitting max turbo boost freqs at 100% CPU; rather, at the processor base frequency (where TDP is defined).

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Comment

Barry Marshall

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2016
VPN Land
Ya am finding out how much of a rip-off it is to upgrade an iMac to a slightly larger SSD and still keep a 2TB HD. Apple wants a grand and I am not forking out that for an iMac that is almost four years old.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have never been one to complain, but I'm getting sick of these crazy high prices on SSDs (and RAM). Apple has a price and organization problem (see: iPads).
Margins haven’t been increasing, Apple simply has a high cost structure. I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon.

And by organization problem do you refer to the company’s internal org structure or the iPad lineup itself? Apple seems to have blown some minds by offering three iPad options at $299/499/799, not sure why.

Reactions: Zdigital2015
Comment

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012

Have fun editing your raw video or analyzing your gigabytes of data with remote storage. These are things some pros care about. So maybe you should be asking yourself if you need a MBP at all if you are happy with such little storage.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.