Apple Lowers Price of MacBook Pro's High-End SSD Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside a refresh of the iMac and new Radeon Pro Vega graphics options for the iMac Pro, Apple today quietly lowered the price of some of the storage upgrade options for the MacBook Pro.

2TB and 4TB SSD upgrade options for 13 and 15-inch machines are now more affordable, with Apple dropping prices as much as $400.

[​IMG]

Upgrading to 2TB of storage on the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models is now $200 cheaper, while upgrading to 4TB on the 15-inch MacBook Pro is $400 cheaper.

SSD upgrade pricing for the MacBook Pro models is below:

Entry level 15-inch MacBook Pro:

[*]512GB SSD - +$200 (No change)
    [*]1TB SSD - +$600 (No change)
    [*]2TB SSD - +$1,200 ($200 off)
    [*]4TB SSD - +$3,000 ($400 off)

Higher-end 15-inch MacBook Pro:

[*]1TB SSD - +$400 (No change)
    [*]2TB SSD - +$1,000 ($200 off)
    [*]4TB SSD - +$2,800 ($400 off)

Entry level 13-inch MacBook Pro:

[*]512GB SSD - +$200 (No change)
    [*]1TB SSD - +$600 (No change)
    [*]2TB SSD - +$1,200 ($200 off)

Higher-end 13-inch MacBook Pro:

[*]1TB SSD - +$400 (No change)
    [*]2TB SSD - +$1,000 ($200 off)

It's not unusual for Apple to adjust storage prices for its products, especially at the higher end, as prices fluctuate and come down over time after a machine has been released. Apple has changed storage prices for various Macs multiple times over the years.

Apple's MacBook Pro models are not designed to have the SSD upgraded after purchase as the storage is soldered to the motherboard, so the price drop is nice to see for those who want to purchase more storage to futureproof their machines.

Article Link: Apple Lowers Price of MacBook Pro's High-End SSD Upgrade Options

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Apple always pushes to keep prices as low as possible for its loyal customers, which is why their margins have barely increased in recent years.

3. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

I have never been one to complain, but I'm getting sick of these crazy high prices on SSDs (and RAM). Apple has a price and organization problem (see: iPads).

4. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Cool. Don't lower the price on the sizes people actually care about! Who the F needs more than 1TB of SSD storage? Let alone, more than 256? Everything can be saved online.

5. tjedora macrumors regular

tjedora

I don't want my sample libraries to be loaded from the cloud :p

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

8. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

9. Mythos99 macrumors member

10. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Due to this pricing change now, I'm assuming the MacBook Pros aren't going to be updated too?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2019 ---
    Sure, that's great if the internet is available anywhere you go, at suitable speeds.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Except for 4K raw video.

But otherwise I agree.

It’s be nice to see a price drop across the board. I’m not one to upgrade within 3 years but I might if I can get 2tb and beefier gfx for a moderate price after selling my current machine.

Maybe they want to push people into 4tb ssds instead of iCloud.

12. linxy33 macrumors member

Im starting to think we are about to get a MBP.. this week.

Apple knows intel is rather flaky with their processor releases and they need a fix. I think we could see just a redesign coming very very very soon with no new specs. Just a design that can handle the thermals and has a new display.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Who is this Apple... lowering prices... insane! they are doomed. no doubt will close their doors this year! you've heard it here first lol.

14. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

If you uploaded them to MySpace you’d be SOL right now. Good reason to show why plentiful local storage will always be desirable vs server/cloud storage.

15. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Oh nice, so it no longer costs your first born plus your right arm?

On a more serious note, it's a welcome change. They do offer some of the fastest storage on the market, so we pay the premium. I am fine with it, but this is good news.

16. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Of course people find ways to complain about price decreases.... They are premium ssds, the prices aren’t really bad... especially now.

17. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

So now rather than costing an arm and a leg, it will only cost an arm or a leg... :)

18. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Still more expensive that if Apple allowed you to do it yourself.

19. DaveRivera, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019

DaveRivera macrumors newbie

DaveRivera

Developer here. I use the space for many virtual machines (4 100GB+ MacOS VMs, 5 150GB+ Windows VMs, and about 15 Linux VMs, of various shapes and sizes, all for testing and development purposes), the development environments installed in my main MacOS install, and my Windows Bootcamp install, plus the 300GB+ of games I have installed that I play with my wife...Right now, I need an external drive for some of that because I can't fit it all in 1TB. I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a new MackBook Pro with 4TB of storage. Would make me much more efficient without having to swap around stuff between internal and external drives.

Just really waiting a bit to see if the 16" Macbook Pro rumor has any meat to it...

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

No chance. And I haven’t been following the issue since they issued the initial fix, but aren’t the thermals sufficient to meet the spec? Specifically, I don’t refer to hitting max turbo boost freqs at 100% CPU; rather, at the processor base frequency (where TDP is defined).

21. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

In Canada, the 1TB costs around $480. That's not a bad price, considering it's Apple ( take that as either positive or negative).

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB Internal SSD as reference ( not considering any performance differences ):
    https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-970-E...ocphy=9061009&hvtargid=pla-618679679237&psc=1

22. Barry Marshall macrumors member

Barry Marshall

Ya am finding out how much of a rip-off it is to upgrade an iMac to a slightly larger SSD and still keep a 2TB HD. Apple wants a grand and I am not forking out that for an iMac that is almost four years old.

23. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Margins haven’t been increasing, Apple simply has a high cost structure. I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon.

And by organization problem do you refer to the company’s internal org structure or the iPad lineup itself? Apple seems to have blown some minds by offering three iPad options at $299/499/799, not sure why.

24. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Have fun editing your raw video or analyzing your gigabytes of data with remote storage. These are things some pros care about. So maybe you should be asking yourself if you need a MBP at all if you are happy with such little storage.

25. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I do, and I won't be updating my MBP until I can get at least 2TB at a reasonable price.