Apple Make a 7" iPad Please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wolfmore, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

At first I thought 7" tablet was blah not very good. But after playing with the Blackberry Playbook I realize it was not the size that I thought was blah but the devices UI and hardware. On the other hand the Blackberry Playbook's UI and hardware feels really good at 7". Now I realize I would love a 7" iPad. Given the choice that's what I would love to carry with me. The benefit in portability would be substantial I think. Though 10" would still be ideal for those wanting a Tablet strictly for use on the couch.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have used a friends 7" Archos tablet and in my opinion it is to small. I think the 9.7" iPad is the perfect size for a tablet. I would rather keep it the size it is.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I get the impression that the iPad's current screen size and aspect ratio, were decisions that they didn't come up with on a whim.
    At 7 inches, you begin to encroach on smartphone territory, whereas 10" gets too big.
    A 16:9 aspect ratio works for video, and some web browsing, but sucks in portrait orientation, whereas 4:3 is the best overall compromise in both.

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

5. Antfer macrumors member

Nice try.
    Not even close.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Lets change this thread to something thats actually more of a possibility...like an iTV......Oh, this is an iPad forum...Darn.

7. Bomino macrumors member

All of the advantages of the ipad come with its bigger screen, so i don't see how his statement is "not even close". sure the iphone is not 7 inches, but im pretty sure the chance of apple making another tablet for the very few that want a 7" are extremely slim to none. iphone/ipod touch or ipad is pretty much what you've got to choose between when it comes to display size.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Very close! Runs iOS, very portable (even more than a 7" screen), Internet on the go with 3G, and even makes phone calls.

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Steve the almighty says no.

Id hate to watch him throw a temper tantrum.

10. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

nooo. The iPad 2 is the perfect size. The screen ratio is also the best. the 16:9 xoom just looks awkward, especially in portrait mode. The only thing it benefits is watching movies.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree with you OP. And I think it is more of a possibility than people on here seem to think.

I'm not saying that it will happen, but I think Apple is very closely watching the playbook to see how consumers react. If Apple sees potential there, they will release; they have already been working on designs for other sizes.

As a personal choice, I prefer the 9.7". I will be using it at home nearly all the time, and it is plenty portable enough to take in the car or drag around with me when I need to. shrinking it down to 7" wouldn't even make it more portable for me, because I'd still have to carry it in my hand. (or use some bag).

With that being said, I can totally understand how it could be the perfect size for others, and it's frusterating how Apple can have a "one size fits all" mentality.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So it's too big for the pocket and too small to fit a full sized keyboard and too small to read full page PDF / books. :rolleyes:

13. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

7 inches is too small. iPad needs to keep the same screen size but get rid of the bezel to make it more portable.

14. madat42 macrumors regular

I think I understand why apple feels that 9.7" is the best format. When I see how I use my iPad for all the browsing and reading apps I use, it'd suck to keep pinch or tap zooming. I'm also using music and art apps as well so a smaller screen will also cramp their use. A 7 inch screen would be ideal for just reading text in a single column Kindle/nook format but iPad is made for much more. As far as a bezel is concerned, you need one to place your thumbs on so you can hold the tablet and not cause any input error. The smaller the tablet or phone, the less thumb space and bezel you need.

15. bearbear macrumors regular

I think Apple will eventually go down that road and I don't see the problem with it. Some people need more portability and the 10inch iPad doesn't do it for them. Why not have a 7in model to capture that market?

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    says who? The nook seems to be able to display ebooks alright on a 7" screen... The kindle screen is even smaller. Why so narrow minded?

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Read again: full sized PDF books, especially multi-column ones. Just try it. :rolleyes:

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Ugh to 7". Why don't you e-mail Jobs, if you're really serious about wanting one?

19. JeepGuy macrumors regular

where would you put your thumb while holding it ? it would be in the active touch area.

20. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Don't need thumbs, palm holds sides
    .... get rid of the bezel..

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How would you hold it with one hand?

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I would not like to see this at all. There's no point. The 3.5 of an iPhone/iPod touch and the 9.7 of the iPad is more than enough for all tasks. Everything in the middle is needless.

23. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

+1

24. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Why not have, it's nice to have options.

If the BlackBerry PlayBook got better reviews I would've picked one up.

25. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I've seen a few say the 7" form factor is a nice small, portable size, but what would you actually do with it?

An iPad is the size you want for a tablet computer for use at home and those scenarios we'd usually [try to] use a laptop (plane, train, hotel, airport. etc.) Then there is the iPhone form factor, allowing for quick bursts of app use for when you're out and on the go.

...so when would you use a 7" tablet? And what is it for? You're gonna reach for your smartphone for quick bursts of finding info, you're gonna use the iPad for any heavy use. I don't understand where a 7" tablet would come into it.

Anything can be a nice, portable size, but if it doesn't serve any unique purpose by being that size, I don't see why there's any reason for it.