Apple Maps don't suck! (merged)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mcdonoughdr, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mcdonoughdr macrumors member

Really!?! Apple Maps aren't that bad...

Attached Files:

2. mcdonoughdr thread starter macrumors member

Also...

Attached Files:

3. Andy-V macrumors 6502

You can't argue with people who are saying their town is miles out of place or the simple fact that there is far less detail on these maps than Google's.

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I beg to differ...

Attached Files:

5. Pock macrumors regular

The one thing that truly annoyed me with the Google maps app was when orientating the map according to compass position, touching the map to move it slightly would automatically turn the compass off. This at least, has been fixed.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Looking a little sparse .. Eh?

7. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Also looking pretty good in Cape Town - No 3D Buildings yet, but the traffic alerts are working and Table Mountain looks nice... So I have nothing to complain about.

8. germanjulian macrumors regular

It does suck. When I search for small businesses they do not show up, when I search for a few major points or interest (like the IMAX cinema) the location is totally wrong.... this is in London!

I don't care about the 3D flyover... I want an accurate detailed map not 3D flyover.

9. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

I'm really impressed with the Apples Maps they looked awsome

10. eternalife macrumors regular

That is a stupid argument to post a 3D picture and say because of that the maps don't suck. First of all, the picture isn't a 'map'. I live in the Atlanta, GA area and the 'map' puts my house 6.3 miles from its actual location. I said in another thread it was 4 but then did driving directions from my 'current location' (ironically my home) and what it thinks is my home and it was 6.3 miles. This is NUTS. My home and my street have been here for 13 years. I could give a crap about some super slick 3D view of a map or some stupid 'crystal clear' picture of a city if the software can't even locate a MAJOR road in a MAJOR city.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

yeah, there's no difference at all :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Great. 3D flyover. Lovely if you have a helicopter.

I don't.

What I would like is accurate local information for my local area in the UK. I'm six miles from the centre of the sixth-largest city in England.

And the maps are frankly, rubbish.

13. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

and plus with google maps you could not go into landscape mode, but with apples version you can

14. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

They don't seem to suck here in DC. I was sore afraid given all the chatter but they turn out to be fine for me.

I see a good number of businesses in the search. Haven't looked deeply enough to see which small ones are missing.

I would not delay upgrading because of maps personally.

And, I hope google issues a map app that apple approves to everyone can someday use which they prefer.

15. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Just because you happen to live in a US city that has good data (presumably good data if it has 3D) doesn’t mean the maps are good.

Outside of locations with 3D data, and especially outside of the US, maps are terrible.

16. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Indeed. When I updated, I expected my home town to look like my home town... Not a cloud...

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Because people walk around the city using their phone for directions several hundred feet above the ground, right? :rolleyes:

18. hayden1250 macrumors member

hayden1250

It is rubbish. Unless you live in the U.S. then you can write Apple Maps off as a good alternative to Google Maps.

Now we have to wait many years for Apple to make it useful. iOS 15?

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

3D fly over is great. I always wished that I could see where I was from a Birds eye view :)

20. Andy-V macrumors 6502

If you live in the US or a major city, you may find the maps are pretty decent. They're not anywhere else.

21. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

made a slight alteration...

Attached Files:

• maps.jpg
      maps.jpg
      File size:
      100.9 KB
      Views:
  22. eternalife macrumors regular

I've heard this many times - If you live in the US you are good. WRONG! I live in Atlanta and the mapping logic is wrong. Granted there is a lot of detail and slick 3D to the wrong but still wrong.

23. hayden1250 macrumors member

hayden1250

I like this alteration. It seems more vivid.

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

3D Flyover is one of those things that looks great in a presentation but has very limited real world applications. Street View is much more useful and is something I am really going to miss in iOS 6 (even assuming Apple improve the mapping / satellite imagery no street view puts it miles behind Google IMO). I really hope Google either release a maps app for the app store or else update their mobile site to include street view, but I can't see what their incentive is for that: Apple have just handed them a real USP for Android on a plate!

25. hayden1250 macrumors member

hayden1250

You'd expect Apple to get the U.S. at least right. Dear god what hope do we have for the rest of the world?!