Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Yes, Apple Maps should rank search results by what is closest to you. Unless it is obvious, like The Grand Canyon.

I still use Waze for traffic, and Google Maps or Trail Link for bike routes. Apple needs to improve in both of those areas. Bicycling routes especially. There are plenty of Strava data points and others that could let them figure out what route a local would take.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Who defines what is and isn't hate speech?

Who make law.. Law makers define what is and what is not.

In Canada, hate speech is againest law. You can get into deep trouble for using hate words. You will definitely loss your job.

It is amaze to me someone can defend hate speech. Hate speech is unacceptable and it cause harm to others. Juat because we enjoy freedom of speech, does not mean you can see everything. Hate speech should not be protected.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hate speech is about hating some group or person or nation or religion etc. Like hate toward Muslim, Black people. Like hate toward LGBT group.

I would rather like Google censor Trump's idoitc speech or Ted Cruze's comments on authsist... Like GOP's hate towards LGBT groups

You're missing the point entirely and attempting to make a very complex issue black and white. What I'm saying is that once you start censoring anything, you open the door for censoring everything. Nearly everything you say can offend someone in some way, so where's the line? What's to stop the next government from saying that anything that doesn't align with their party views is hate speech? This isn't theoretical, it happens all over the world right now.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Who make law.. Law makers define what is and what is not.

In Canada, hate speech is againest law. You can get into deep trouble for using hate words. You will definitely loss your job.

It is amaze to me someone can defend hate speech. Hate speech is unacceptable and it cause harm to others. Juat because we enjoy freedom of speech, does not mean you can see everything. Hate speech should not be protected.

And different countries have different laws regarding what is and isn't hate speech. And the Internet is a global thing. So I ask again: who would decide what is and isn't hate speech?

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
i think this is because most apps force you to open apple maps when there is a map option instead of offering google as well, just because people open it for a second then close it doesn't mean its used more.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
i think this is because most apps force you to open apple maps when there is a map option instead of offering google as well, just because people open it for a second then close it doesn't mean its used more.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I still prefer Google Maps' search but Apple Maps in CarPlay has the navigation UI down to a "T." It's my favorite while driving now. With one tap I can turn off audible guidance yet leave visual guidance on. It's a dream.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I downloaded Google Maps when Apple Maos first came out, but just kept using Apple Maps. In fact, it has never given me incorrect directions, but I live in the U.S.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I use chrome in OS X and iOS for the main reason that tabs as well as bookmarks are cross platform this way (I also use Windows and android). I'd say most college kids use Windows, to some degree, even if they have a Mac. I know I did.
Yeah, if I used Windows either at home or at work as one of my main OSs, I'd use Chrome. I don't think that's why they use it here. They all carry their MacBooks everywhere. I could only understand a mechanical engineer syncing Chrome across platforms because they all probably use Windows for work. I don't know how many of them use it to sync with Android, but I wouldn't imagine very many.

Last edited:

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Google is also the default search for IOS... Google pays a bundle for that... So, guess people use it even if it sucks... because it's the default.
At least you can change you default search engine if you want to.

Gah, I forgot again that the forum doesn't automatically group posts anymore! :( Can we at least have a delete option so I can fix it?

Reactions: kdarling

Jack A. Lope

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2015
Houston, TX
Apple Maps are good when you need to use Siri to get somewhere. Other than that, meh. I'm still scratching my head over why Apple Maps won't let you zoom out or move the map to see what's around you. Want to see the overview again? You have to tap the screen and then tap Overview. With Google, all you have to do is use your fingers on the map to zoom in or out. Wanting to see what is around you is a 3-step process with Apple (tap screen, select Overview, and then scroll), whereas with Google, you just use your finger to scroll without any added steps. Google also does a better job updating traffic on the go, IMO. With traffic, Apple eventually puts me on the same route Google had me on all along, but it takes Apple some time to do it. And when you see a better route, Apple can't update as quickly as Google and keeps telling me to make a U-turn, whereas Google sees and updates faster.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I agree that Apple maps has come a long way but Google maps is more accurate. Occasionally I will use apple maps but Google maps still my go to navigation app.

Reactions: kdarling

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I use Google Maps mostly. Apple Maps once in a while.
Just from seeing some of the posts about inaccurate search results, I tried finding a few known places in both apps.
Google Maps and Apple Maps were accurate. Both apps made two mistakes in search results / locations.

Perhaps it's good to have more than one resource for finding places.

kdarling

macrumors P6
You completely missed the point of this article. It says usage has passed google maps - meaning people were using google maps before and have now switched to apple maps - meaning they're choosing to use apple maps. Has nothing to do with it being pre-instaled or available on the lock screen - it was prior to the usage increase - nothing has changed other than its quality increasing to the point that people have decided to stop using google.

The original source AP article brings up two reasons:

1) It's the default app.

"The quick turnaround also demonstrates how easily companies like Apple can steer people to their own services. Google Maps and various third-party apps offer many features that Apple Maps lacks, yet Apple cleverly turned user inertia to its advantage. Many people use Apple Maps just because it comes with the phone. Even if you've taken the trouble to download a competing app, other iPhone services such as Siri and Mail will invariably take you to Apple Maps.

Without the ability to steer users this way, Apple "
would not be in the position they are in," IDC analyst John Jackson said. "Not that they aren't improving the experience, but this helps the cause."

2) It's improved enough that people don't automatically use Google instead.

Lots of users, though, have returned. And many new iPhone users never experienced Maps at its worst.
But ultimately, Apple Maps doesn't need to be the best. It just needs to be good enough that its users won't look for something else.

In other words, people are not choosing Maps as the default. They have no choice in that matter. But Maps has gotten good enough that it's not necessary for many people to default to going through the trouble of using Google first.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
are you serious? Apple maps is like 10 years behind Google maps in San Francisco. Just look at the level of detail. There literally streets missing in Apple Maps

Also I drive for Uber and the Uber driver app on the Iphone uses Apple maps. Look at their shoddy driving directions. I've reported the first mistake several times over the past 5 months and it still hasn't been fixed:

If an Uber driver had no knowledge of SF streets, they would be totally fubared.

Similar Uber experiences in Chicago. Turn where there is no turn, take some inexplicably round about way to get to an address, fly across the expressway (my personal favorite). And despite one's familiarity with any major city, it's highly unlikely for a driver to know the entire map perfectly, thus the value of a reliable app. And Apple Maps ain't it. Waze seems to be the standard around here.

RB1959

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Apple maps works great for me in France. The only thing is, because I have CarPlay and Siri set to English, Siri's pronunciation of French road names and places is worse than mine! LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.