Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hero_2x-250x242.jpg
When Apple Maps first debuted alongside iOS 6, it drew significant criticism for its inaccuracies in mapping data, errors when locating points of interest, lack of transit information and odd 3D mapping imagery. Many users opted not to upgrade to iOS 6 due to the app's flaws, and iOS 6 adoption jumped 29 percent once Google released a native Maps app for Apple's platform. Three years later, Apple tells the Associated Press that Apple Maps is now used three times more than Google Maps on iPhone.
Apple says its mapping service is now used more than three times as often as its next leading competitor on iPhones and iPads, with more than 5 billion map-related requests each week. Research firm comScore says Apple has a modest lead over Google on iPhones in the U.S., though comScore measures how many people use a service in a given month rather than how often.
While a lot of the usage gains for Apple Maps can be attributed to Apple Maps being a built-in app that's the default mapping solution for features like Siri and Mail and third-party apps like Yelp, the AP notes that many users who once spurned by Apple Maps have returned. Additionally, many new iPhone users did not experience the troubles of Apple Maps, instead using the newer, more improved version.

Although Apple now holds the lead in mapping on iOS, Google still dominates among all U.S. smartphone owners, with Google Maps having two times more users than Apple Maps. However, much of this is attributed to Apple Maps only being available on iOS while Google Maps is available on both Android and iOS.

In recent years, Apple has made numerous efforts to improve its mapping service. Apple has purchased companies like GPS firm Coherent Navigation and mapping company Placeable in addition to expanding its in-house teams and making data-sharing deals with companies like Foursquare. The Cupertino company has also beefed up Apple Maps with a fleet of mapping vehicles capturing data and introducing new features like Transit directions and, in the future, indoor mapping.

In total, Apple now gets data "from more than 3,000 sources" for business listings, traffic and more. For its new Transit features, Apple even sent out teams to map out subway entrances and signs.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Used Three Times More Than Google Maps on iPhone

Reactions: xerexes1

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The percentage of people who don't bother to download Google Maps, and stick to the stock apps, isn't necessarily the same as the percentage of those who have downloaded Google Maps, didn't like it, and chose to stick to Apple Maps in the end...

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Doesn't mean Apple Map is better, it's the built-in map service, if a 3rd party map want to open a map program, it's most likely Apple Maps. Sometime I open an address in apple maps through 3rd party program, copy the address and paste it on google maps...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Apple says its mapping service is now used more than three times as often as its next leading competitor on iPhones and iPads, with more than 5 billion map-related requests each week. Research firm comScore says Apple has a modest lead over Google on iPhones in the U.S., though comScore measures how many people use a service in a given month rather than how often.​
Article Link: Apple Maps Now Used Three Times More Than Google Maps on iPhone
That's a lot-o-lost people, lol don't flame me, jk

Reactions: SaaGua and mobutt

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Apple Maps still brings returns absurd search results which have nothing to do with my current location. Nope.

Not my experience in LA. I've been screwed by Google once, though. They didn't know a freeway exit was defunct, so I had to hop off, go under the freeway, take the entrance, the other way, exit, then circle around again and take the previous exit-- a mess. That's when I switched to Maps for good. It was default, and it's never led me wrong. I find the timing of Google's voice directions weird and off-putting. Also, me and Siri are good friends now.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I don't use Apple map mainly is the lack of bike route support..I commute by bike to/from work or just exploring the city by finding shortcuts..until then google map is my go to for map.

You need bike maps? I use the streets to do my exploring and basically I've memorized all the bike routes in existence within 30 miles of my house. It's not that big a number.

Reactions: chitoac

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The percentage of people who don't bother to download Google Maps, and stick to the stock apps, isn't necessarily the same as the percentage of those who have downloaded Google Maps, didn't like it, and chose to stick to Apple Maps in the end...

The percentage of people who tried Apple Maps and like it, isn't necessary the same as the percentage of people who don't bother to download Google Maps. Just saying ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.