Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its revamped Maps app is rolling out across Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia. The new experience provides more detailed road coverage, better navigation, custom-designed 3D models of popular landmarks, Flyover, and more.

Apple-Maps-update-hero.jpg

Maps can also help drivers in Austria, Czechia, Hungary, and Poland with certain electric vehicles plan trips that include appropriate stops for charging by analyzing elevation changes and other factors along a route. Meanwhile, transit riders in Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia can find nearby stations more easily and pin favorite lines. Riders will also receive notifications when it’s time to get off at their stop.

Look Around is also expanding to all of these countries starting today, offering high-resolution street-level imagery in the Maps app. The feature is similar to Google's Street View, but with smoother transitions when panning and zooming.

As noted by Apple Maps expert Juston O'Beirne, this is the eighteenth time that Apple has expanded its new map data since its public launch in September 2018. It has expanded to the U.K., Ireland, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, France, Germany, and select other countries and territories.

Article Link: Apple Maps Redesign Expands to Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Just checked it, still can't handle simple, common typos, still doesn't assume that a road you're looking for is in the same city as you are (finds another road with the same name in some random small town). Hell, it won't even assume that what you're looking for is on the same continent (I will often get results in random Chinese towns).

This was the case 10 years ago. It's still the case.

Maybe in another 10-20 years I'll check back to see if they've made it useable, good luck to Apple with that!

I love that you can delete the app from your iPhone though, best feature.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 11.26.02.png

Last edited:

whrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Hungary

Apple today announced that its revamped Maps app is rolling out across Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia. The new experience provides more detailed road coverage, better navigation, custom-designed 3D models of popular landmarks, Flyover, and more.

Apple-Maps-update-hero.jpg

Maps can also help drivers in Austria, Czechia, Hungary, and Poland with certain electric vehicles plan trips that include appropriate stops for charging by analyzing elevation changes and other factors along a route. Meanwhile, transit riders in Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia can find nearby stations more easily and pin favorite lines. Riders will also receive notifications when it’s time to get off at their stop.

Look Around is also expanding to all of these countries starting today, offering high-resolution street-level imagery in the Maps app. The feature is similar to Google's Street View, but with smoother transitions when panning and zooming.

As noted by Apple Maps expert Juston O'Beirne, this is the eighteenth time that Apple has expanded its new map data since its public launch in September 2018. It has expanded to the U.K., Ireland, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, France, Germany, and select other countries and territories.

Article Link: Apple Maps Redesign Expands to Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia
Do you need ios 16 for these features or does it work on ios 15 as well?

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Unfortunately no 3d map imagery. Looking around my neighborhood - it took about 20 months since the photos were taken (NW part of Poland).

I don't even ask for Siri but maybe Apple would finally add quicktype and other keyboard features for more languages? 3rd party keyboards have it for like 10 years already...

Reactions: BigDO

AleksanderHugo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Poland is now “more green” with many parks, forests and lawns shown. There are building heights and some extra details.

But around a big city where I live there are still so many errors in the most basic data… There are no streets that were opened in 2014, motorway is shows as a small street, many minor driveways and private service roads are shown as they were actual streets.

It is difficult to trust it. If they don’t create robust local mapping team, who will be responsive to user input then they will never create a useful product.

whrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Hungary
Poland is now “more green” with many parks, forests and lawns shown. There are building heights and some extra details.

But around a big city where I live there are still so many errors in the most basic data… There are no streets that were opened in 2014, motorway is shows as a small street, many minor driveways and private service roads are shown as they were actual streets.

It is difficult to trust it. If they don’t create robust local mapping team, who will be responsive to user input then they will never create a useful product.
Yeah in my city I have the feeling that only I create new places and correct bad information regarding POIs.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
It's getting better, but Google Maps are still better and more complete though. Hopefully Apple Maps will get on par with Google Maps some day.

The biggest issue I find is the lack of reviews. If I go to Google I will always get loads of detailed reviews with photos etc because that's where most people are. With Apple you might find couple or a link to Trip Advisor.

Apple need a change of mindset when it comes to services as they all pale in comparison to the competition.

whrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Hungary
The biggest issue I find is the lack of reviews. If I go to Google I will always get loads of detailed reviews with photos etc because that's where most people are. With Apple you might find couple or a link to Trip Advisor.

Apple need a change of mindset when it comes to services as they all pale in comparison to the competition.
Tripadvisor or 10-year-old Foursquare reviews :D

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I wonder if this is another feature that Denmark will never get just like slide-to-type and predictive keyboard.
The fact that there are certain languages which are supported, yet their keyboards don’t support slide to type is so freaking bizarre. There’s zero technical reason for it not being implemented.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I wonder if this is another feature that Denmark will never get just like slide-to-type and predictive keyboard.
It’s not just Denmark. All of Europe doesn’t seem like a high priority for Apple (with the exception of Germany and France and even there stuff is slow to trickle down from the US). We never get much of the US perks you get with having an Apple device. If you’re not in a big country it’s better off getting an Android device because at least it’ll support your language. iPhone didn’t take off in my home country because iOS 16 is finally the first version where it’s recognized and it exists for the keyboard and system language. Obviously, Siri will never come. Apple has always had trouble looking outside of the US for some reason.

Ramelov

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2023

In my neighbourhood Apple Maps were definitely updated today. There are new roads that were not visible yesterday. The maps are much more detailed now.

Reactions: XXPP and Sasparilla

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I wish Apple Maps had a Timeline like Google Maps have. I love going back in time, auto logging places I visited.

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.