Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
You really don't know what entrapment means do you?

I don't have any idea how big a city block is in any given city - but they seem to average about 200m in most cities, so he's about 1km away from you, I guess? And he was looking at you with binoculars and a "laser" speed gun... but it just looks like a pedestrian to you, right? So I just have one real question here, and I know it's kind of hard to answer.....

How did any of that cause you to be exceeding the speed limit?
RogerWade and Peanut Pathos are the type of people who speed and complain when they get caught...

the main reason there are cameras in the first place. We can all thank them for the reality we live in.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Red light cameras are totally useless, except for increasing cities' revenues. In the U.S., most red light cameras have been removed. Typically a city like Fremont, CA, outsourced their red light cameras to a for-profit corporation. The yellow phase was than SHORTENED, to make sure more motorists are caught. I am not making this up, the city had to refund fines given at certain intersections during a certain period of time--if you received this information and remembered and filed the paperwork.

Cops do patrol the highway here (in CA), and normally (unless it's the end of the month and the cop hasn't yet met his ticket quota) do not pull over somebody going ~10 miles over the speed limit. Sometimes they do hide to "catch" motorists, and I do argue that that constitutes entrapment. I will give you an example. Driving in downtown San Jose. There's a pedestrian that crosses the road ahead of me. I am 4-5 blocks away. Turns out the pedestrian was a motorcycle cop, with BINOCULARS and a laser gun. It was impossible for me to spot him.
Why are you supposed to be able to spot him? Sounds like a cop who is actually not lazy and burnt out.

Following the law when there is a cop shouldn’t be rewarded. Following the law when there isn’t a cop should be. If this is a true story, I’m Glad you were pulled over.

Im not trying To be mean, I just don’t understand how people are so entitled to think they only have to follow rules when there is a cop around. Karma.

Reactions: Stephen.R

-DMN-

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2019
More Freedom than Yours
Don't speed then.

God I hate this feature and anyone who supports it. Frankly it needs to be outlawed.

Trashy, irresponsible drivers love this though I bet.
Would you be okay with a cop sitting outside your residence until you technically commit a crime. Maybe you have the radio’s volume to loud, don’t fasten your seatbelt while your vehicles still in park, or don’t use your blinker while pulling it to your driveway. I’m pretty sure most of us have done these things at one time or another.

-DMN-

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2019
More Freedom than Yours
Is the cop is hiding under your dashboard pushing down on the accelerator? If not, please explain how it is "borderline entrapment"?

Furthermore, does your country have red-light cameras, that take a photograph when they detect movement through the intersection a second or so after the light turns red? Would you also consider those to be "borderline entrapment"?

What about cops patrolling the highway, and pulling over cars that are exceeding the speed limit, or otherwise breaking road rule(s)? Would you suggest that is also "borderline entrapment"?
No my city band those red light cameras and a cop that is out in plain sight is actively deterring crime one that is hidden is hoping that you commit one meaning entrapment. Have you ever put a seatbelt on while your vehicle was not FULLY park you criminal.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Would you be okay with a cop sitting outside your residence until you technically commit a crime. Maybe you have the radio’s volume to loud, don’t fasten your seatbelt while your vehicles still in park, or don’t use your blinker while pulling it to your driveway. I’m pretty sure most of us have done these things at one time or another.
Well that’s non-sequitur...

driving on a public roadway vs sitting at your house. Great comparison.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I SAID
B O D E R L I N E
It’s the same reason police can’t park outside bars and clubs waiting for some to get in there vehicle.
But they can, actually. And often do, to protect the public from idiots that get in their cars drunk.

You guys on here act like breaking the law is a sport and it’s unsporting to get caught. Making up rules that don’t exist because some buddy told you once. Maybe they can’t sit in the private parking lot of the bar at the request of the bar owners, but how on earth would it be wrong for a cop to watch a bar for drunks on a public roadway?

obviously you’ve never known someone who died from a drunk driver.
Edit: Source - https://www.dougmurphylaw.com/is-it-entrapment-if-police-target-patrons-leaving-a-bar

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.