Apple May Announce 9.7-Inch 'iPad Pro 2' as Early as Next Week

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Tycho24, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Tycho24 macrumors 68000

Tycho24

Lol, someone ELSE pisses, moans, cries, stomps & shouts, and holds their breath- over "wah, I don't like the name of my Apple product!", but to you... I'm the one that seems unhappy???!
    Sheesh. Don't ever go into counseling!
    At any rate... iPad Air 2 is too confusing for you to delineate a particular model iPad? Here- I had a Dell Inspiron over 10 years ago... they still make a Dell Inspiron. You can tell it's a different model because of this model name/number: "I5566-3000BLK-PUS". Yup; that's how the other guys do it. But do please keep on scratching your head in mock confusion at the mystery of having both a current and a previous year model for sale in each size.
    Or go make up some other silly thing to shake your fist at the sky about. I don't care. You seem like a VERY petty and unhappy person, so whatever small joy you can get from the silliest complaining and nitpicking, have at it.

Edit:
    Also, the random internet chat support guy @ Apple said "hopefully" we'll have some news...
    Further, why would MR still be posting super sketchy conflicting reports from people in China about the possible release dates of new iPads if, in actuality, that information is so incredibly "known", that even the very bottom tier of Apple's support staff know their future plans and release dates... down to the day? (Next Monday! I swear! I kept badgering and leading on a support agent over chat, until he finally said "maybe" there'd be news next week.... soooooo: CONFIRMED!).
    Please. Both you & I know that chat session was less than meaningless.

2. Jsameds macrumors 68020

The 'Days since Macrumors readers moaned about Macs in articles that have nothing to do with Macs' counter has never even made it to 1 in the last year.

3. Galatian macrumors 6502

So let me get that straight:

1. Introduce a iPad Pro for almost double the price
    2. Slightly reduce the price of your previous model
    3. Release a light version of your iPad Pro, probably at the same price point the previous iPad once was.
    4. People think actually Apple is making them a generous offer

Let's face it: the iPad Pro was just a price breaker to get margins up again.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Slight difference in situations though - Your 10 year Inspiron was long ago discontinued. Consumers are not being asked to consider a 10 year old Inspiron with the 2016 model and the 2017 model. Consumers have the option to buy the 2017 model + options. That's it if they want an Inspiron. In that regard it is no different than a MacBook Pro. Pick your size, pick your options. That is what the consumer's choice is limited to if they want a MacBook Pro.

iPad is different. The 9.7 Air 2 is being sold along size the 9.7 Pro, then add in a 10.5 Pro Pro. In that one size range there are three different models, but all of them have very similar features, some of them merely just an updated chip and peripheral support. So then the consume has to wonder if the updated chip is worth the money or not, blah, blah, blah. It's not a clear cut choice for the uninitiated and tech-confused customer. That is what consumer confusion is about and usually it ends up that some are so uncertain of what to buy they buy nothing or another brand where the choice is more clear.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    Especially with the 9.7 model. The 12.9 model is a beast of it's own.

5. Tycho24 macrumors 68000

Tycho24

Valid point!
    I think it'll shake out... like you used to be able to get a 13" MBA or a 13" MBP, & there was no confusion.
    I think we'll see Air & Pro in the iPad space as well & certainly the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" in a year or two... not continue as a 4th size option.
    Lol, ok so.... let me get this straight:
    Starting iPad Pro off @ $599 instead of $499 (a difference of $100) is "almost double the price"; yet dropping the price of the Air 2 from $499 to $399 (same $100 difference), is "slightly reducing the price"?

Let's face it:
    YOU are the one playing shenanigans with numbers & just straight up lying.

6. sracer macrumors 601

sracer

This is correct. It is what I said when the 9.7 Pro was released... and when then new Macbook Pros were released.

7. George Dawes macrumors 6502

George Dawes

8. Dave245 macrumors 68040

Fair point, but if they plan to hold the event around the week of the 20th then they will need to send out invites this week if they don't and they intend for the week of the 27th, then yea your right they could indeed send out invites next week.

9. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

They currently have 2 iPad Pro models.
    One is called iPad Pro 9.7 and the other iPad Pro 12.9. Those names are ridiculous in and of themselves.
    Just dying to find out what the second gen's are going to be called... iPad Pro2 9.7 and iPad Pro 2 12.9???

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right, the MBA and MBP are very different products, both visibly and functionally so much harder for consumers to get hung up on which to buy. Either they want an ultraportable at the expense of a great screen and performance or they wanted higher performance at the expensive of carrying around an extra couple of pounds.

Totally agree and hope Apple EOL's the Air completely and the 2016 9.7 Pro becomes the "lower cost" model with the assumed 10.5 screen the new top line mid-screen model. Everything is equalized and consumers have clear choices.

But if Apple keeps the Air 2 and the 9.7 Pro and comes out with a 10.5 model, good grief that is overkill and not helpful to consumers.

12. 6foot5foot macrumors newbie

That sarcasm was so extremely obvious, I couldn't believe anyone could miss it.

13. William James macrumors newbie

William James

I am becoming confused and convoluted too! I'm a long-time Apple fan but this circus of expectations and release dates is wearing me down. I have discovered good alternatives while I have been waiting.

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Is Apple ever going to make iOS actually useful on anything besides a phone? At this point they're like a decade behind Windows 10 on tablets. Once ARM Windows tablets that can run Win32 software launch later this year the iPad is pretty much dunzo.

15. Galatian macrumors 6502

Yeah...no. They don't even sell the most requested size (64GB). So you have to swallow the bitter pill and take the 128 GB version. So someone who only needs 64 GB but wants the updated processor has to pay 749$ instead of 499$.

Even comparing the same storage size this 150$ more only get you a better processor and a better screen, all of which would have been an normal evolutionary year over year upgrade. So what else is "Pro"? Two more little speakers on each size? Which Samsung had since like their first tablet? A stylus? The same camera you probably already have in your pocket with the iPhone? Apple just threw everything at the wall to call it Pro and hoped it'd stick.

But I'm not complaining. The discounted IPad Air 2 is a bargain!

16. malexandria macrumors 6502a

I think they'll quietly announce these since there's not much of an update here to justify an announcement and wait until the campus opens in April/May to have a big media splash around the Developer's Conf and announce new desktops and preview the new OS.

17. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Ha ha ha, indeed! Touché - that's exactly what the naming complaint thing is about. Why can't they just call it iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Pro, why all the numbers? The model identifiers tell you what year and model it is. I happen to agree - you obviously didn't and made a snarky comment to the poster of the message, which was a bit unnecessary...possibly just like my leaping to that poster's defense by making my own snarky comment was also unnecessary ;)

As for the chat, you're right, and nobody is saying it is confirmed by any means (at least I am not saying that), but it is fun that he did get them to actually write that they would have more info for sure by Monday, which they definitely shouldn't have done, whether or not they know anything.

It is pretty common knowledge at this point (among those who care or have an interest) that an iPad update of some kind is imminent - just what it going to be is the question.

18. Tycho24, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Tycho24 macrumors 68000

Tycho24

Truer words never spoken!
    I swallowed the "bitter pill" & got a 9.7" Pro because I'm a spoiled brat & wanted to try the new screen tech. I most DEFINITELY didn't need it, lol.
    If I was recommending a new iPad to virtually anyone; I'd recommend the Air 2... what an aces, super fast machine! I handed mine down to my son who will be using in in college (companion device for an MBP). It's really a competent machine.
    Here's my "pie in the sky" dream:
    Naming conventions aside... I would absolutely LOVE a 10.5"-10.9" iPad with almost no bezel. I would be over the moon if it portends the iPhone edition "home button behind screen" tech & we get a few months to play with that, ahead of the new iPhone. If it has an OLED TouchBar built in, I'd be ecstatic as well. Throw in some new colors/materials (ivory white ceramic & jet black stainless steel please! am I alone in this??), an "iPad Edition" in a funky new third size, for one gen- before it takes a "best of both worlds" spot w/ greater real estate than the 9.7", without being as comically large as the 12.9".... in the EXACT same fashion that the iPhone Edition will likely also be a funky new third size, for one gen before it becomes a "best of both worlds" model; large enough to have the goodies previously held for the Plus owners & extra real estate, without being as comically large as the 5.5" iPhone.
    I dunno.
    I'm probably tripping... but it would be HOT if they were actually planning to trim the product lines, eventually having this 5.1" iPhone replace both the 4.7" & the 5.5"; and having this 10.9" iPad replace both the 9.7" & the 12.9".

19. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I believe the best (for customers) convention would be to call them iPad Pro (2016). You can see which size it is. Trouble, though, is that it would enforce having a "current" product called iPad Air (2014), because there is no newer model. Not to mention Mac Pro (2013). :p

20. JMacHack macrumors member

- Apple Rushes iPad Pro to market after Microsoft started eating into their market with the Surface Pro
    - Forget to include Apple Pencil with it, despite it making sense only on the iPad Pro, sell it separately anyway
    - Forget to include keyboard with it, making it practically useless over a MacBook Air, sell it separately anyway
    - Forget that pros also do things requiring a file browser, ignore this detail

C'mon, Cook. How did you think this would turn out?

21. peter1984 macrumors newbie

peter1984

I've been waiting a while now to update my iPad mini 2. Can't wait for the next gen. Hoping on a mini pro

22. Yourbigpalal83 macrumors member

Im going to take an Educated guess as to whats going to happen. Apple is going to most likely skip the march keynote and quietly release spec upgrades to the 9.7 and maybe the 12.9 pros... These are basically going to be speed bumps and incoporating MAYBE the new home button thats in the 7, and possably the duel cameras...as much as id love to see force touch on an ipad pro,(which would instantly be a sale for me), i dont see it happening just yet for what ever reason......

COME SEPTEMBER, with the launch of the iphone 8 edition or what ever the hell there going to call it, there going to introduce the 10.5 inch, to go along with the bezzleless (sp?) design change. Thats going to be the flagship model...

just a guess though. Id love to get a 12.9 inch (i had the old one but i returned it and later got a 9.7 inch for the better camera, but i kinda regret it) with a force touch display. I want something from apple that can be as close to a wacom device as well, and the 12.9 inch line is decent imho. (im not a pro in any way though)

Id kill for a apple imac version of a surface studio though...my god why dont they do that allready...

23. Wanted797 macrumors regular

"The research firm did not say which products it expects, or the manner in which they will be announced."

Translation - "We have no idea what we're talking about."

24. Mac 128 macrumors 68040

Mac 128

Only since Trump's claims that the British wire tapped his phones did I become aware of the gchq's building. Was this ever discussed when Apple announced their design?

[​IMG]

25. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Yeppers. That unicorn was well beaten.