Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Wow. I can't wait to choose between the iPad Mini 2, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7", iPad Pro 2 9.7", iPad Pro 10.5" and iPad Pro 12.9"!

This is what Apple used to do in the early to mid 90's. Their product lines got so fragmented, consumer's didn't know what to buy anymore.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Dear Macrumors. Please stop using the term "larger iPhone SE". If it happens, it will be the same size but with greater storage capacity options, so perhaps "a new iPhone SE 128GB" might be more appropriate and accurate than "larger" as that implies physical size.
Hear hear! Alternatively use, "larger storage capacity iPhone SE," or "higher storage capacity iPhone SE."

timilner

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Taking several of these weird rumors into consideration, it seems like one of two things is going to happen with iPad this year.

Scenario 1
They refresh the iPad mini and 9.7" iPad as non-pro models. New mini gains spec parity with 9.7" model (A9X, trutone display, 256GB option, 4 speakers, front and rear cameras, etc), which is the current iPad Pro, while at the same time they take away the smart connector, but add the 4 microphones to the 9.7". They then release the new 10.5" and 12.9" models as the iPad Pro line, dropping that moniker designation from the 9.7" model. They are called iPad Mini 5 and iPad Air 3. This is based on the story about the model number identifiers 7,1-7,4 being seen in website logs - they correspond to iPad mini and 9,7" iPad model identifiers.
  • 7.9" iPad mini 5 (spec parity with Air 3 below)
  • 9.7" iPad Air 3 (no changes except 4 microphones and removal of smart connector)
  • 10.5" iPad Pro (New form factor/design, A10X, wide gamut trutone screen, etc etc)
  • 12.9" iPad Pro (Spec parity with new 10.5" model)

Scenario 2
They refresh as per above, but lift the new 7.9" mini up to the Pro moniker designation and give it a smart connector as well as everything else in scenario 1. They then keep on the old mini 4 and Air 2 as the budget devices while introducing 3 new Pro models and a tiny little upgrade to the 9.7" Pro in the microphones. They've done that before, remember the iPad mini 3???
  • 7.9" iPad mini 4
  • 9.7" iPad Air 2
  • 7.9" iPad Pro mini (spec parity with 9.7" Pro below)
  • 9.7" iPad Pro (4 microphones added not much else! Retains current specs, A9X, etc)
  • 10.5" iPad Pro (New form factor/design, A10X, wide gamut trutone screen, etc etc)
  • 12.9" iPad Pro (Spec parity with new 10.5" model)

As someone who is only ever going to buy a 7.9" model going forward (I have tried them all, and the mini 4 is by far the most satisfying device to use IMHO - NOT saying it should be for everyone, just my personal favorite) I would be fine with both scenarios, as I don't really care what moniker the next 7.9" iPad gets, just that it gets updated, which I am pretty confident of given that model ID story that came out earlier. Scenario 1 is much cleaner and requires less SKU's to be produced and maintained, but I'm thinking scenario 2 is much more likely, just because then the mini 4 and Air 2 can be the budget models and there is a clearer defining scheme where they can charge more for the updated models while charging less for the budget models - i.e. having mini 4 and Air 2 remain in scenario 1 would probably result in more sales of the budget models, whereas the naming scheme in scenario 2 would probably push more consumers up to the "Pro" models.

Agreed. Either way, I can't see Apple releasing a 10.5 with better/newer form factor and spec than the 12.9. iOS devices always prioritise screen size for flagship devices.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
My needs call for a screen somewhere between the 9.7" iPad and the 10.5" iPad. I can't believe they haven't offered an option for users like me.

I have always said that if they came out with a 10.1'' I would get it but they keep toying with me....haha

Real note though, what could they possibly put in a new "pro" iPad right now that would entice those of us with one already to refresh?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
they really are cutting it fine if there is going to be an event at the end of this month, still the invites could go out either Thursday or Friday, I'm guessing if they don't then there is no event and just silent updates.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
It must be a supply constraint!
[doublepost=1489602853][/doublepost]Why the hell would Apple release an 9.7" iPad Pro 2 one week before the event?

Maybe they waited for 8C/16T AMD Ryzen. They're relative cheap, brings nice multithreaded performance, suck slightly for gaming, but macs never been good gaming machines.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
they really are cutting it fine if there is going to be an event at the end of this month, still the invites could go out either Thursday or Friday, I'm guessing if they don't then there is no event and just silent updates.

March 31 is on a Friday, about 2 weeks to go so they still can send out invites next week.

Maybe they waited for 8C/16T AMD Ryzen. They're relative cheap, brings nice multithreaded performance, suck slightly for gaming, but macs never been good gaming machines.

Do you really think Apple would lower prices on Macs if they are outfitted with Ryzen, it's Apple, don't think they will.

Reactions: Dave245

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
What time do they usually send out the invites?

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Apple is doing exactly what they did when Steve Jobs was fired. They're bloating their lineup.

When Steve jobs came back, he got rid of tons of products. He told the engineers they only needed to sell four computers. A consumer desktop/laptop and a pro desktop/laptop.

Apple shortly after found much success.

Maybe they need to consider if 4 sizes of iPads is really necessary...

justme1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Peoria, AZ
What did I just read? I'm hoping the reality will be far less confusing than the rumors.

Every time I see photos of the "space ship" I think of gladiators fighting it out in the center, or racing greyhounds going around it...or donuts. I like the new campus. But it always makes me think of everything other than computers. o_O
Donuts, yum

Reactions: 5105973

sketchguy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Would it be too much to ask/wish for Apple Pencil support in the iPhones moving forward? Both the iPad Pro and iPhones are similar thicknesses, so could this be possible?

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
"While it is becoming clear that new iPads are on the horizon, Apple's exact launch plans remain convoluted."

Uhh, what you mean is "Apple's exact launch plans remain UNKNOWN".
The only thing convoluted is the attempt to fold ten different rumors from ten different places into a single narrative...

jhudgins

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2016
Price cut makes the most sense. I'm waiting for bezeless OLED, 2018. Until then I'll stick with my gen 1 iPad Pro.

Reactions: ThaRuler

Sylvan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
California
I think at some point Apple is going to have to reconsider how it names its products. Adding a number to each successive device is not a good long-term strategy IMO and will lead to some weird and/or confusing names. Maybe they should adopt the car convention of using the model year to differentiate the new models

Reactions: 5105973

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Unless your gonna Velcro it to the wall in front of your toilet to watch movies while you're "in the office", why would you ever choose an iPad over a MacBook?
Isn't everyone tired of the idiotic two-thumb typing?

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Unless your gonna Velcro it to the wall in front of your toilet to watch movies while you're "in the office", why would you ever choose an iPad over a MacBook?
Isn't everyone tired of the idiotic two-thumb typing?

The Pro and Pencil is one of the most interesting thing to happen to digital artists in quite awhile. It's certainly superior to a MacBook in that respect. Though I use mine as a supplementary device to my MBP. It's not an either/or question. Can we chill out with this iPad as a toy with rhetoric? It may not be ideal for everyone's professional environment but that doesn't mean we should just dismiss it as not being ideal for anyone's professional environment.

Also, who types on the iPad on-screen keyboard with two thumbs?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Earlier this week, a well-known research firm that requested confidentiality told us that, based on their own sources, it expects Apple to announce new products later this month, most likely during the week of March 20. The research firm did not say which products it expects, or the manner in which they will be announced.

9-7-ipad-pro.jpg

Following our report, some Japanese analysts have predicted that a second-generation 9.7-inch iPad Pro will be announced next week, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara. The analysts are reportedly basing this prediction on supply chain information and the lack of a scheduled Apple event next week.

Given that Apple usually invites the media to a launch event at least 10 days beforehand, and if the information we were provided about Apple announcing new products as early as next week is accurate, it is possible the so-called "iPad Pro 2" could be announced via press release rather than at a launch event.

A press release could be an appropriate manner for Apple to announce a new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, given that rumors suggest it will be an iterative upgrade. One of the only rumored additions to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is quad microphones, while Mac Otakara suggests it could have a faster Apple A10X chip.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects Apple to launch a low-cost 9.7-inch iPad Pro this year, likely with its current Apple A9X chip. He did not mention an entirely new 9.7-inch model. If the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is essentially only getting a price cut, then a press release as early as next week would be fitting.

Apple similarly issued a press release when it dropped the price of the fourth-generation iPad to $399 in March 2014. Apple's current low-cost 9.7-inch model, the iPad Air 2, starts at $399, while the 9.7-inch iPad Pro starts at $599.

Beyond the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, Apple is rumored to launch an all-new 10.5-inch iPad Pro with slimmer bezels and an updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the near future. A few reports claim a new 7.9-inch iPad Pro could also be released, but some analysts disagree and do not expect the iPad mini 4 to be updated.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is expected to have slimmer bezels, and there is a slim chance it will have no Home button, allowing it to have the same overall footprint as the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. This design could foreshadow the rumored 5.8-inch iPhone. The tablet is also rumored to have a higher-resolution display and quad microphones.

The updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro is said to feature a 12-megapixel rear camera and True Tone display like the current 9.7-inch model, using advanced four-channel ambient light sensors to automatically adapt the color and intensity of the display to match the light in the surrounding environment.

While it is becoming clear that new iPads are on the horizon, Apple's exact launch plans remain convoluted.

If Apple still plans to host an event later this month as one increasingly unlikely rumor said, it would most likely fall between Monday, March 27 and Friday, March 31, given the 10-plus-day buffer for inviting the media.

At this event, the rumor said Apple will unveil its new iPad Pro lineup, a larger iPhone SE model with 128GB storage, and new Apple Watch bands. The report also claimed Apple will add a red color option for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, which could be part of its charitable (PRODUCT)RED campaign.

Of course, the event could be later. Taiwanese website DigiTimes claims Apple is planning to unveil the 10.5-inch iPad Pro at an early April event to "mark the inauguration of Apple's new headquarters in California," but it is unlikely that the supply chain sources cited would know this specific information.

It is also unclear if Steve Jobs Theater would be ready for an April event, as Apple indicated it opens "later this year" while employees start moving to the new campus next month. The latest drone footage by Duncan Sinfield shows that the theater is still under construction and surrounded by mounds of dirt.

Steve Jobs Theater is shown around the 1:45 mark

Apple could hold an event elsewhere, or even wait until WWDC 2017 in June. Or, just like a low-cost 9.7-inch iPad Pro, a red iPhone 7, 128GB iPhone SE, and new Apple Watch bands could certainly be announced by press release or an update to Apple's website in the meantime.

Article Link: Apple May Announce 9.7-Inch 'iPad Pro 2' as Early as Next Week

Please, can we stop with these posts. We are going to see these from now until October when new iPads come out, these so called analysts got it wrong and can't accept that fact.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Who still buys iPads where there are far less expensive alternatives for reading/media consumption and far better mobile productivity devices like the Surface line?

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
The Pro and Pencil is one of the most interesting thing to happen to digital artists in quite awhile. It's certainly superior to a MacBook in that respect. Though I use mine as a supplementary device to my MBP. It's not an either/or question. Can we chill out with this iPad as a toy with rhetoric? It may not be ideal for everyone's professional environment but that doesn't mean we should just dismiss it as not being ideal for anyone's professional environment.

Also, who types on the iPad on-screen keyboard with two thumbs?

This is you at work...

Seinfeld Gay French King 2

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
I have an iPad 4 collecting dust somewhere in my house, no actual use for it.

I got some audio applications for it but I need to but a load of dongles to make it work because for some reason Apple does not want to stream midi nor audio via the same lighting cable. At the end is better to get those applications for the mac.

Any way... the ipad is collecting dust.

Reactions: Aston441
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.