Apple May Be Modifying iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to Skirt German Sales Ban

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple may be working on new versions of the iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, and 8 Plus with updated modem hardware that does not violate the injunction levied against Apple in Germany.

As FOSS Patents points out, German website WinFuture says that sources in German retail have said that Apple will introduce modified iPhone 7 and 8 models that it will be able to sell in the Germany despite the sales ban enacted in December.

[​IMG]

WinFuture says that Apple is set to begin selling modified versions of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 in approximately four weeks, and German retailers have already received lists of model numbers for the new devices.

The site does not list all of the new model numbers, but includes MN482ZD/A, which is a black iPhone 7 Plus with 128GB of storage, and MQ6K2ZD/A for the 64GB iPhone 8 in space gray. Neither of these new model numbers matches existing model numbers for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8.

According to FOSS Patents, WinFuture has a credible reputation in Germany, and, coupled with the discovery of the new model numbers, there's a good chance this is true despite the fact that it has yet to be confirmed by an official source.

In its ongoing dispute with Qualcomm, Apple has had older iPhone models banned in both China and Germany. In China, Apple was able to get around the ban with a software update and has continued selling iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models in that country.

In Germany, things are more complicated. A German court says that some iPhone models equipped with Intel modems infringe on Qualcomm's hardware patents, so there is a hardware issue that Apple needs to address. Apple has been ordered to cease the import and sale of infringing iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models in Germany, both at its own retail stores and from third-party suppliers.

Introducing tweaked versions of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 without the allegedly infringing hardware would allow Apple to continue to sell its older iPhones in Germany while the legal battle with Qualcomm goes on.

Article Link: Apple May Be Modifying iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to Skirt German Sales Ban

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

3. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Put the headphone jack back in and you've got a phone people will want.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

People aren’t clamoring for headphone jacks...that’s why they are mostly gone.

6. lostczech macrumors member

lostczech

I think it's funny Apple will retool older models for one country. Are the 7 and 8 still selling THAT well in Germany?

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Is this a move just to stick it to QCOM or is there huge demand for the older phones in Germany to warrant spending engineering and manufacturing resources to cook up a one-country specific SKU so late in the game?

8. H2SO4 macrumors 601

What was the last one you bought?

9. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Make a 7 with a 4" screen and a headphone jack. You'll have something there. (SE2)

10. Just Jeff macrumors newbie

Just Jeff

11. KPandian1 Suspended

Just what everyone with great headphones from before the crappy Bluetooth ones want - I do.

Is Apple bothering to listen?

They are gone from smartphones because apple removed them. Reason - Beats.

Have you seen the sales of the iPhone SE, or the refurbished iPhone 7 models in recent times?

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

I think it’s the former. The iPhone 7 would probably be discontinued in just a few months anyway. They’re doing this because they can.

Also, maybe they need these phones to issue replacements to people.

13. lostczech macrumors member

lostczech

Yes, the SE is "flying off the shelves" if you will, but I haven't seen the iPhone 7 ever sell out. Also, you are speaking to refurbished phones (at a discount), this will be a brand new phone sold at regular price, in one country.

14. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

According to a recent MR article, the iPhones 7 and 8 made up 35% of all iPhones sold in the 2018 holiday quarter... I don't know about Germany specifically, but globally, that's a helluva lotta iPhones 7/8.

15. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I don’t know about Germany, but the 7 through 8+ were pretty popular in November

[​IMG]

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Apple should also put the floppy drive back into in their computers.

17. lostczech, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

lostczech macrumors member

lostczech

If this new model were sold everywhere, sure, that makes sense. However, for one market, and for models that will only wane in sales numbers over time, it comes across as pettiness towards Qualcomm more than continuing sales of older iPhone models

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Or maybe a phone you want. I am part of people and I wouldn't give a toss about headphone jack.

19. flygbuss macrumors 6502

flygbuss

It’s a country with more then 80 million people. Sure it’s not China, but for a European country this is quite a number.
    I think it’s the most populous country in Europe.

20. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Right, I’ll bring out the 75 Accord for a spin as well. ;)

21. elbowrm macrumors newbie

elbowrm

Hey, why not take it back even more??

[​IMG]

22. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

I miss CRT monitors... life was simpler back then.

23. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Can't they just sell the models with the Qualcomm chipset over there? Or did Qualcomm stop selling them chips?

24. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

And the floppy disk.

25. ph001bi macrumors regular

Businesses usually buy one or two versions behind the current version.
    MVNOs also tend to offer deals on older devices rather than new ones, so yes, the 7 and 8 are probably still selling very well.