Apple May Be Modifying iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to Skirt German Sales Ban

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

2. PickUrPoison, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

The article leaves out some relevant info. It’s actually not the Intel modem chip itself that has caused the injunction, but a different component that’s used alongside the Intel modem chip, sourced from a company called Qorvo.

“The offending components which was the cause of the injunction were produced by Apple supplier Qorvo, and are said to have violated an "envelope tracking" patent held by Qualcomm. This refers to a method of conserving battery power while the modem is active.”

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...an-market-following-qualcomm-patent-trial-win

3. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

No that’s what Blackberry, Nokia and every company that chose to keep supporting legacy products said. IOS is over a DECADE old. If a company is cared to move forward because it doesn’t want to upset legacy consumers then it’s already dead.

4. mmartinezs macrumors regular

For the few that really need it

5. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why wouldn't Qorvo be responsible for the patent violation then, since they make the part?

Sounds like Qualcomm is just going after the big fish hoping for a settlement. Who cares who is actually at fault? Pretty scummy behavior.

6. KPandian1, Feb 6, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

What a logical argument and conclusion!

Yes, wires exist - the IC is a microscopic wired circuit.

Try telling the pilot of the plane on the next trip how useless wires are practically.

7. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Germans are much more frugal than Americans. They also don’t care as much about “keeping up with the Joneses.” A large percentage of Germans don’t use a major carrier and buy prepaid sims or get service from independent providers. The fact is that the 7 and 8 still do everything that you need a phone to do really well. Exceptionally well for 1-2 year old phones.

We’re pretty shallow people here which is why you’ll see iPhone Xs in the hands of people who really shouldn’t be spending over a grand on a phone.

8. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Hopefully the 7 and 8 will be the better for this "retooling" and not the worse.

9. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I think that ‘shallow’ is the wrong word. This audience seems to be techophiles, geeks, nerds, whatever, but certainly not shallow just because we like tech. Most other subjects have similar audiences that will pay more for and enjoy things with new or advanced features or appearances. Cameras, fountain pens, tobacco pipes, watches, the list is endless. Almost everyone has a hobby or interest, it’s OK if it’s tech.

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

Paper cups and string.

11. CarlJ, Feb 6, 2019

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

You know only 2 of those 3 are punch cards, right? That mag card wouldn't work too well if you punched holes in it.

12. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

No one forced anything on me If I was in love with wires I would still have continued using the silly EarPod Apple puts in the iPhone box. I was using wireless audio before Apple removed the headphone jack, which by the wat is one of the best decision Apple did in my opinion. I do understand that many people love to be in the past and are afraid of changes but screw them. The rest of the world want's to move on and enjoy new things that technology has got to offer. I can not even begin to imagine how dreadful it would be for me If I moved back to the annoyed earpads. There is a reason why AirPods are so popular. And no, I don't think it is because of the lack of headphone jack. Lighting EarPods are just as good for wire lovers, but wireless offers the convenient in the way that makes people never look back. They are everywhere and wireless is the future. And if no one made the move the way Apple did, that sort of future would never come.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    That would satisfy the ones who are stuck on 2009 :)

13. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

What people REALY want is to be able to extend the antenna so other people know you're on a cell phone.

14. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I wasn’t talking about the tech crowd including developers and especially not anyone on this forum. I’m talking about average low income people on the subway and streets of NYC. It’s nothing but a fashion accessory for them.