Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostczech

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
Can't they just sell the models with the Qualcomm chipset over there? Or did Qualcomm stop selling them chips?

If I'm not mistaken, the Qualcomm versions of the iPhone are intended mainly for CDMA networks (ie. Verizon/Sprint in the US), whereas Germany (and most of Europe) are solely on GSM networks. I think there is a missing LTE frequency or 2 on the Qualcomm versions.

Edit: Never mind, both variants operate the same LTE bands. Good question zorinlynx.. I have no idea

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Businesses usually buy one or two versions behind the current version.
MVNOs also tend to offer deals on older devices rather than new ones, so yes, the 7 and 8 are probably still selling very well.

Also, the 7 and 8 are the last models with TouchID, and a lot of people like TouchID.

I know I'm holding out as long as possible before moving to a FaceID phone!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Make a 7 with a 4" screen and a headphone jack. You'll have something there. (SE2)
It might look sort of weird.

EDIT: I take that back; it's beautiful!

iPhone7SE.jpg

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
A lot of the fast chargers like Anker use Qualcomm technology and with their push into the IoT environment there is a lot of random things that use their technology from fridges to cars.
Yep but he's just about to throw all of his offending items in the bin.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think it's funny Apple will retool older models for one country. Are the 7 and 8 still selling THAT well in Germany?
If you don't want to pay the price of an XS, and don't like the large size of the XR, the 8 is the next best offering from Apple. I just upgraded from a 6 to an 8 and I'm thrilled with it.

(Weirdly, I might have put up with the added bulk of the XR, if Apple had released their usual line of silicone cases for it - the clear case they released instead is cute, but too slick; on a phone that large I want some serious grip - you can get their silicone cases for literally every other phone they currently sell, but not the XR.)

(The XR is perhaps 10% faster than the 8, but both are 3-4x as fast as the 6. I would have liked FaceID, the 10% faster CPU, the 10% better camera, and more pixels, but not at the expense of the phone being harder to hold, harder to reach the corners of the screen, and more likely to drop, every single time I used it.)

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Why? Just put these to off to die. Especially if iOS 13 if not supporting these anymore. Hopefully iOS 13 is advanced enough and cuts off old legacy products at the knees and finally allows Apple to move forward.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
When I look at the chart I'm amazed at how popular the plus-sized phones are.
I didn’t get it either, until I tried the XS for a couple weeks and decided to exchange it for the XS Max. Obnoxiously huge? Yes. But it’s great for watching videos and seeing more content on the screen.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
So :-
a. Apple is able to allocate engineering resources to re-engineer the modem in a near obsolete Iphone7; but
b. Apple cannot (or chooses not to) allocate engineering resources to sort out the bending issue on the Ipad Pros..

Reactions: KPandian1

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Why? Just put these to off to die. Especially if iOS 13 if not supporting these anymore. Hopefully iOS 13 is advanced enough and cuts off old legacy products at the knees and finally allows Apple to move forward.
Why would iOS 13 not support the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 8? The iPhone 8 has the same processor as the iPhone X. Should iOS 13 also not support the iPhone X?

Cutting support for their obviously more than capable recent products would not be a smart business decision.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
They must have run the data and it must have made sense, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. At least that's the logical thing to assume.

Reactions: Kabeyun

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Businesses usually buy one or two versions behind the current version.

^^^^^This. At my employer, employees who are issued phones have the option of an iPhone 7 or Samsung Galaxy S8. Last year my wife's employer took back her Windows laptop and issued her a Samsung Galaxy S7 to do all of her work. She actually prefers carrying the phone over the laptop.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Especially if iOS 13 if not supporting these anymore. Hopefully iOS 13 is advanced enough and cuts off old legacy products at the knees and finally allows Apple to move forward.

What are you doing here?

Apple has millstone around its neck - the iPhones before the X versions? And, it needs to move forward?

Who will buy any Apple product after that?

In that case, no will move from iOS 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedomlinux

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Put the headphone jack back in and you've got a phone people will want.
Or maybe a phone you want. I am part of people and I wouldn't give a toss about headphone jack.

Yes, but is that because you came to that viewpoint of your own volition? Or because big tech forced the issue and you simply learned to live without it?

Never mistake liberty for the illusion of liberty, my friend. :rolleyes:

Gezrah

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Stockholm, Sverige
I wouldn't be surprised if these new models end up elsewhere around the world to curb any other potential sales bans that may eventuate. Or they'll just show up in other countries once exisiting channel stock runs out. These may simply be the new iPhone 7 and 8.

Reactions: lostczech

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Why would iOS 13 not support the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 8? The iPhone 8 has the same processor as the iPhone X. Should iOS 13 also not support the iPhone X?

Cutting support for their obviously more than capable recent products would not be a smart business decision.

It has to. iOS is a 2007 legacy product. It’s more than a decade old. Any company that wants to stay in business HAS to move forward. If it continues this way it will go the way of BlackBerry and all other legacy products that were too scared to upset old customers and ended up just dying.
You people are so myopic that you can’t see the forest for the trees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.