Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Personally I'd like Apple to introduce an Apple TV service that includes original content, live TV, and all iTunes movies and shows, for around $50 per month. I know this is a tall order, but I think that would make for a compelling product. Apple should also consider purchasing Hulu.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Don’t care about news or magazines or even original content.

Let me stream everything iTunes has to offer for one monthly price.

Apple Music as well as movies and TV shows...that’s what I want.

This. Even in a country like India, where Apple Music Family Pass is like USD 2.7 per month, for an all access family pass to the iTunes catalogue (minus paid apps) I’d gladly pay USD 15-25 per month. This is in India.

In USA they can easily price it at USD 25-50+ for a family pass.

And I’m okay with the above pricing even if live TV is not included. And even if there is zero original content.

If they’re willing to offer Indian Live TV (with a catalogue comparable to our operators) and original stuff too, and all through Apple TV such that we can do without additional cabl services, then they can double the above prices. So USD 30-50 per month for up to 6 persons in India.

And up to USD 50-75 up to 6 persons in USA.

Reactions: iapplelove

Andreas77

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Give us free movies instead and I will definitely pay 50-99 dollar per months for unlimited movies and series in 4K

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Since we know really nothing at all about Apple's original content so far and have seen no actual episodes of these scripted shows that won't be out for quite a while, how exactly are they targeting women aside from MR using a Wonder Woman screen grab from ATV in the article? Given the featured content on Apple Music I'm not sure your theory completely holds water.

They do have that show with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon in the pipes. I'm not saying that their stated goal is to program to women but this show seems like it's geared to a female audience.
[doublepost=1530190646][/doublepost]
You are aware that the show with that truly does hit all 4 quadrants is on Netflix, right?

It’s called Stranger Things.
Don't forget Orange Is The New Black which probably has a large female audience.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Most Pay TV shows on AMC, HBO and Netflix are appealing mainly to men.

Little Hulu had a hit with The Handmaids Tale that targets women and men.

Apple is targetting straight to women, and women are 50% of the population and are much less likely to pirate, in my opinion.

I'll actually very much agree there. My wife has no interest in GoT, Westworld, Succession, Silicon Valley, True Detective, etc. I love the hell out of them though. I was going to add showtime to the mix, but they have a few shows I think have mass appeal.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like Apple's plan of "Just copy whatever Amazon is doing" is going to continue...

I didn't sign up for Amazon, and I won't sign up for Apple either.

I think an interesting move Apple could make would be changing the App Store into some kind of all-you-can-eat rental service. Pay $15/month, get unlimited access to iOS apps. Toughest part would be figuring out the best way to pay developers, then. You might think screen time, but screen time != utility. Custom keyboards are on screen all the time - are they the most valuable thing? Widgets are on screen almost never - are they useless?

Newton1600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
this makes sense. one subscription for apple music, TV, and magazines would draw customers from Spotify/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon users. the last thing that they're missing is all-you-can-eat audiobooks/books

i think when Apple said their services revenue are going to double by 2020, it means that this service is going to launch pretty soon.

YES YES YES ALL YOU CAN EAT AUDIO BOOKS /BOOKS must be included.
[doublepost=1530201162][/doublepost]BUNDLE SHOULD INCLUDE UNLIMITED iCLOUD STORAGE!!!

In order to get a large percentage of iPhone owners to signup for a service like this they need to include Unlimited iCloud storage.

They could also bundle in AppleCare, and potentially iPhone upgrade program in a plus version of the subscription. Until they have proven themselves on the content front (have a legit must see hit or two) the shows are just bonus. And I will never want to pay for news.

BTW APPLE NEWS STILL NOT IN CANADA....

Last edited:
Reactions: 69650

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
YES YES YES ALL YOU CAN EAT AUDIO BOOKS /BOOKS must be included.

I would like that a lot too, but would prefer it to be one that included more books by established authors. I have Amazon’s book subscription service and like it, but the majority of books available are much lesser knowns and new authors.

jedwards87

Suspended
May 21, 2015
this makes sense. one subscription for apple music, TV, and magazines would draw customers from Spotify/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon users. the last thing that they're missing is all-you-can-eat audiobooks/books

i think when Apple said their services revenue are going to double by 2020, it means that this service is going to launch pretty soon.

Only if Apple can get the same shows as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and they can create great original content. So far their original shows are a joke compared to the others.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Separate subscriptions for Music, Film/TV and News/Magazines at $10/month each or $25/month for all three would make more sense.
[doublepost=1530204083][/doublepost]I hope any digital news subscription service includes newspapers as well as magazines. Currently the only option I’ve found is PressReader but they charge £30/month.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Would be interesting to get an insight into the reasoning behind this model. You want to drive people to your services by offering this, but to compete with Netflix would be a tall order. I understand they are trying to grow the ecosystem, but how could they entice me to get anything more than Netflix and some sports stuff in addition to that?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How about for those who are subscribers to Apple Music get a discount for this streaming service (sarcasm, when has Apple give a discount for anything) not like Apple is making any interesting original movies or TV series at the current moment. Really though it is getting as expensive as cable with all the different streaming service I am into Horror, Sci-Fi and Thriller movies so I really enjoy Shudder and Amazon Prime also has some good Horror movies but for Netflix BLAH.
[doublepost=1530210766][/doublepost]
Bundling what makes Amazon Prime a good value. Apple bundling, good competitive move. Hope it happens!

But still Amazon Prime is far ahead of the game heck you get 10% off at Whole Food as a Prime Member, 2 day free shipping or anything over $25 (if I am not mistaken) items shipped in a day, you can shop online for Whole Food or any other home product. I mean I can go on with all the benefits of Amazon Prime has or doesn't Apple has a long road ahead of them to get there and remember there was a time Apple wanted to also appliances not like that ever got Apple owners excited.

Reactions: npmacuser5

TimWillz

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
United Kingdom
This would be great. I think it is getting a bit multi-subscription within the Apple world at the moment. Music, News, iCloud storage etc..

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Back in college, there was a place everyone went to eat after the bars closed. They would take all the food they didn't sell during the day and throw it all together. They called it the Garbage Plate. (We loved it because of course we were drunk and hungry, but it wasn't very good.)

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
Sounds good to me. Competition in the marketplace has never hurt anyone except those that can't compete. Hopefully Apple can create better content than what they have created. It's unbearable to watch.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apple, you were supposed to be the ones to fix TV. Steve Jobs believed that. But now Tim just wants to create another content fiefdom. This is not what we wanted at all.

SaveTimeless

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018

Apple may be planning to develop a single subscription service that would offer customers access to its original TV shows, Apple Music, and digital magazines, according to sources with knowledge of the company's plans that spoke to The Information.

Apple has ordered multiple television shows, ranging from comedies to dramas, but there has been no clear word on how these shows would be distributed.

tvapp-800x469.jpg

Its first original shows, "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" debuted in Apple Music as a perk for Apple Music subscribers, but that would not likely be sustainable for the more than a dozen shows that are in development, so it makes sense that a wider TV offering is in the works.

According to The Information, Apple will begin by launching a digital news subscription service next year, which will combine the Apple News app with magazine subscription service Texture, which Apple purchased back in March. Bloomberg in April also said that Apple was working on such a service.

Texture offers subscribers unlimited access to more than 200 digital magazines for $9.99 per month, with titles that include People, Better Homes and Gardens, Time, Forbes, Condé Nast Traveler, Allure, Billboard, Town & Country, ELLE, National Geographic, Rolling Stone, Vogue, and more.

Apple eventually plans to bundle the digital news subscription service with both Apple Music and the video content that is in the works, but it is not known when Apple will provide the new subscription offering, nor what it will be priced at.

Apple is said to be planning to continue to offer each of the services on a standalone basis, suggesting a standalone TV service as well, and discussions are still underway about what its subscription services will look like, so a bundle might not ultimately come to fruition.Prior rumors have suggested that the first of Apple's television shows will launch sometime between March 2019 and the summer of 2019, which would mean a TV subscription service would likely come out around that time.

Apple has previously attempted to build a television subscription service that offers shows and movies from third-party content providers, but it was never able to establish the deals necessary to make that happen. With its own slate of original TV shows, though, Apple does not need to rely on deals with content producers to roll out a streaming TV service.

Article Link: Apple May Create Subscription Service Bundle That Includes Original TV Content, Apple Music and News

I think "TIMELESS" would be a great show to start your new service with. In case you haven't heard, Nbc canceled it and it's looking for a new home. "Timeless" comes with thousands of loyal fans backing it and willing to pay. Some of us even sent you some paper clips with a message saying " Help the Time Team pick the cancellation lock and #SaveTimeless" (from an episode where Wyatt used a paper clip to pick a lock) The merchandising and advertising for this show was literally nonexistent while nbc had it, so you will make tons off of video games, toys, clothes, etc. just to name a few. The fandom, #Clockblockers have many ideas and will help in anyway they can to keep their Time Team together. The cast is amazing! The writers are astounding! You will be impressed with the whole Time Team and their loyal #Clockblockers!
Please, Jamie Erlicht, Zack Van Amburg, Matt Cherniss, Ali Woodruff, Kim Rozenfeld, Max Aronson, Rita Cooper Lee, take advantage of this opportunity as soon as possible! Please contact Eric Kripke and Sony and make a deal! You won't regret it!

Thank you
Annette Daniel
One of many #Clockblockers

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Only if Apple can get the same shows as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and they can create great original content. So far their original shows are a joke compared to the others.

from what I've heard, these original shows so far are testing waters for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.