Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Waiting for an iPad mini 5? You may be disappointed. BGR, citing a source close to Apple, claims the 7.9-inch tablet is being phased out. The report doesn't offer a timeline as to when the iPad mini will be discontinued, and its sources couldn't confirm if the iPad mini 4 will remain on sale for a period of time.

ipadmini4trio-800x630.jpg

Apple is rumored to introduce a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro as early as the WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5, so it's conceivable to think the iPad mini could be axed then if the report is accurate. Apple's tablet lineup would then consist of the iPad Pro in 12.9-inch, 10.5-inch, and 9.7-inch sizes, and the new low-cost 9.7-inch iPad.

Apple launched the original iPad mini in 2012. Since the iPhone 6 Plus launched in 2014, it's been speculated that the 5.5-inch smartphone may be at least partially cannibalizing sales of the iPad mini, but Apple doesn't break out its tablet sales numbers on a model-by-model basis, so it's hard to say for sure.

Nearly two months ago, Apple discontinued the iPad mini 2 and stopped selling a 32GB version of the iPad mini 4. It also lowered the starting price of the 128GB iPad mini 4 to $399, which was previously the 32GB model's price point.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed Apple would release a 7.9-inch iPad Pro in March with a Smart Connector, True Tone display, four speakers and microphones, a 12-megapixel rear camera with True Tone flash, and an improved processor, but it's already May and the rumor has yet to materialize.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Discontinue iPad Mini

Reactions: Avieshek

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It would be Cannibalization.

We have a $329 iPad now, how to continue with Minis? How much could Apple charge for a new mini with that larger iPad priced at what it is?

And we have a rumored larger iPhone coming so .....

Reactions: brendu

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
5.5 inch iPhone is not a replacement for an iPad mini. It has a 16:9 display which is really hard to use in landscape orientation. Apps are generally not optimised for that aspect ratio. It doesn't have iPad specific features like Multitasking (Split-View, PiP, Gestures). And iPhone Plus is almost twice as expensive as the iPad mini.

Another thing that might happen with the iPad mini is that Apple could put a bigger display inside the same body and it won't be a 7.9 inch tablet anymore that they plan to discontinue.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
TBH, the writing was already on the wall:
Only one iPad mini available, and it's the most expensive one.

I might grab the 128 GB mini now it's still available.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
5.5 inch iPhone is not a replacement for an iPad mini. It has a 16:9 display which is really hard to use in landscape orientation. Apps are generally not optimised for that aspect ratio. It doesn't have iPad specific features like Multitasking (Split-View, PiP, Gestures). And iPhone Plus is almost twice as expensive as the iPad mini.

Another thing that might happen with the iPad mini is that Apple could put a bigger display inside the same body and it won't be a 7.9 inch tablet anymore that they plan to discontinue.
My guess is they're not trying to replace the mini with the iPhone but that the larger iPad with smaller bezels won't be that much bigger than the mini (and with the Pro line won't be that much more expensive).

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
The iPad Mini is perfect for travel. I just can't fathom why, with all of Apple's other ignored products they'd ditch this one. Am I the only person who thinks it makes a great travel companion for e-reading and video watching on a tray table? A full sized iPad is too bright right in my face, and I don't want a plus-size phone. It's also much easier to hold one-handed (anywhere, not just travelling) than a full-sized unit.

Rumors rumors rumors... I know... but I really don't get how this isn't the most popular tablet size. If they drop support I'll upgrade from my 2 to a 4 right away, but then probably back to Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.