Apple Rumored to Discontinue iPad Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2017.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

What small iPad mini esque Android tablet will you get? The best I see out there is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 and unlike its 9.7" brother, there isn't an S3 version, so it seems like it's in no different of a position than the iPad mini 4 is in currently. Would love to be proven wrong and shown something viable that I can get a cellular plan on. But until I am, it's looking like the mini tablet party is shutting down for everyone and the iPad mini 4 is that dude at the end of the party wondering where all the beer went.

As someone who loves both the Mac and the iPad mini (and who largely doesn't disagree with your point), I think you're missing a crucial detail in that the iPad mini doesn't fit in with Apple's initiatives. Plus sized iPhones conflict with things like the iPad mini. The iPad Pro and further development on 9.7" iPads (which, one could argue, are redundant to 7.9" iPads given that they carry the same exact screen resolution [so one would never need both a 7.9" iPad AND a 9.7" iPad]) conflict with the iPad mini on the other end as well. Personally, I, too, think that the iPad mini has its uses that set it apart from things that the 9.7" iPads have long done. However, if you chart out, the number of things that a 7.9" is superior for is substantially smaller than the number of things that a 9.7" is superior for. And I'm saying that as someone who much prefers the 7.9" form factor! The love for the iPad mini is real, but Apple's lack of place for it (along with the rest of the mini tablet market) is also real and can't be discounted, sadly.

You'd think that, and I certainly have, but we're wrong. The only ways in which an iPod touch is great is if you don't have an iPhone that has a decent battery life or enough storage space for your music and movies. If you had that, then the iPod touch would just be a secondary device that you had for ***** and giggles. And I say this as someone who has LONG been an iPod touch fanboy and who still has one despite not REALLY needing it (given that my 6s Plus is better in nearly every possible way).

You can't say that iPad mini POS systems don't exist or aren't common in certain settings. Only that you have not encountered these settings wherein it is common. They are fantastic POS systems. Really, the best option for truly mobile POS systems; though the 9.7" iPad "fifth generation" will obviously start to pick up the slack here as the mini 4 ages further.

To each their own. Seriously. My cellular mini 4 is my swiss army knife. It is much more manageable to take places than a full sized tablet. Also, my car mount turns it into the ultimate infotainment replacement, which, on a bottom of the line 2008 Camry makes it feel swanky.

2. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Reading is the main use, also play a couple games, surf the web and watch youtube/netflix when I'm on the train. So I'm REALLY hoping it'll stick around for a bit.

3. newellj macrumors 601

NECROTHREAD. This article goes back to May.

And people need to look at the elapsed time between the iPod Touch Gen 5 and Gen 6. It's too early to conclude that the Mini form factor is EOL at Apple.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

From the time Jobs returned to Apple through the present day, there has never been an instance of a product line that was (colors and connectivity varieties aside) reduced to a single model without having a successor product IN THAT LINE debuted in the process and then later had a successor product in that line. This is the end of the road for the iPad mini. There's not a single credible sign that shows anything contrary to this being likely to happen.

5. newellj macrumors 601

I think the iPod Touch Gen 5 -> Gen 6 fits this situation. Am I not remembering the facts correctly? Three years between updates.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The fifth generation iPod touch was never shrunken down to a single model. You had 16GB (which started off as that rear-camera-less model with a single color and was then replaced with that one that had the camera but omitted the loop), 32GB, and 64GB and when it came time for the sixth gen, all three moved to the sixth gen and a 128GB model was added to the lineup.

Incidentally, the iPod touch had a shrink like the iPad mini had where the 16GB and 64GB models got axed and the 32GB and 128GB models got a price drop, but didn't change and didn't get updated in any way other than said price decrease.

Though the iPod touch and the iPad mini are both goners. I'm far from happy about it, but even I can't deny that the writing is on the wall. Hell, anyone wanting something to serve the functions an iPod touch would be served by would get an insanely great value out of the $150 it would cost to upgrade that model to a SIM-free iPhone SE. If used solely as an iPod touch without a data plan, it basically gives you a way faster processor, faster storage, better cameras, WAY better battery life, and will probably stick around for way longer in terms of iOS support.

7. newellj macrumors 601

There were years of gloom and doom before Apple introduced the Gen 6 iPod touch. You may turn out to be right, but we don't know that, and trying to read the future from birds' entrails is just superstition.

8. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Fine but if they discontinue the iPad Mini, I want an iPod Touch with a 7.9" display.

9. Skoal macrumors 65816

If true it’s to bad. I love the mini size. It’s a perfect travel device.

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

You missed the part where I said that the 5th generation iPod touch was never shrunken down to a single model at ANY point prior to the launch of the 6th generation iPod touch. That's the key distinction. I'm not saying that a successor to the iPad mini 4 is impossible; just saying that it is STATISTICALLY improbable. No Apple product line at ANY point from Steve Jobs' return to Apple in 1997 to the present day has ever been shrunken down to a single model (with or without color and/or internet connectivity options) and then lived to see an update. Has never happened. Why? Because usually that's the victory lap that product line has before it goes away for good.

11. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Grr. I’ve had my mini 4 since launch and I love this thing. I use it for all my lecture notes at uni and some basic coursework tasks, also for media consumption. It’s my favourite size iPad for sure and it would be a shame to see it go. I think it still makes sense as a product, some people simply prefer the smaller size. The phablet argument isn’t too convincing, seeing as my mini is still providing more screen real estate over my iPhone 7 Plus.

Plus iPad minis are great for kids.

I think it’s all too likely the iPad mini is dead. But it would be a great shame.

12. Tech198 macrumors G4