Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Hmmm. Was thinking about picking up a low price Mini if they pro-ified it. Thought the form factor would be amazing for note taking in meetings with the Pencil. But they're the ones that are seeing the revenue split and I imagine the Plus fills a nearly big enough hole for most customers.

Still think the sizing is going to be weird with the 9.7, 10.5 and then 12, but guess the 9.7 will be gone within a year or two and will just occupy the budget spot until then.

Reactions: mcrawley

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
The iPad mini is my favorite computer ever.

• Hand holdable with 1 hand, use with the other
  • 10 hours battery life
  • Instantly on
  • No malware
  • Weighs 2/3 lb
  • 1/4" thick
  • Internet connection everywhere
  • Useful as a mobile hotspot for my MBP
  • Small enough for an inside jacket pocket
  • Syncs with all my favorite services
  • Touch ID
Most of that I can accomplish with a 10" iPad, but I like the mini because of its size. I'd be really disappointed if that size was discontinued.

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
The 9.7" iPad is almost the same size as the 10.5".

Replacing both the 7.9" and 9.7" device for one around 9" with small bezels would make the most sense if you ask me. Almost the screen size of the 9.7" in a form factor almost the size of the 7.9".

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The Mini is likely going to continue to be cannibalized by large-screen smartphones. I almost opted for an iPad Mini about a year ago, but I decided to go with the 9.7" Pro instead, and I'm glad I did.

I'm amazed by how much horsepower is under the hood of the 9.7" Pro. For example, installing iOS 10.3.2 yesterday on both my iPhone 7 and the iPad Pro, I started the download and install on the iPad Pro about a minute after I started it on the iPhone 7; and the iPad Pro finished the install a good four minutes ahead of the iPhone 7.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
Too bad. I worked for a startup where we spec'd an iPad mini in the cabin of a Cessna for custom in-flight instrumentation. The larger iPads won't fit -- just not room.

The mini is also great for travel. It is a perfect size for carry-on or glove compartment and I'm not carrying a Plus phone in my pocket.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess the Plus sized iPhones may be eating into the sales. I own a second generation Mini and its been a good tablet, no complaints but I find my usage of it non-existent at this point

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeah. Saw this coming. Big enough display to run iPad applications, fits in the back pocket, super light weight, as portable as a phone but more useful, and better data options due to not being a dedicated phone. Most practical and useful form factor for a device Apple ever made. All it could have used was Pencil support and to lose its bezels. Better kill it instead!

No 17" MacBook Pro, no iPad mini.

Super.

I guess I can look forward to the end of my griping about the worsening state of the software.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I always thought the mini was a unnecessary size. Especially with the birth of the plus.

I guess I was right all along haha

Part of the reason the mini started to dissipate, is because of the iPhone Plus. The iPhone Plus doesn't necessarily equate to the size of the Mini, but it does offer a lot of the same functions where we spend more time on our iPhones then we do on our other media devices.

I See the iPad mini as I do the iPod touch, theirdevices that are great, but they have been a slowly dwindling product with the popularity of the iPhone growing, which consumed the iPad Mini.

And I partially agree with argument that the iPad mini is nothing more than a larger version of the iPhone plus with iOS.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Sad if true. Kind of surprising to me. It's one of the best, versatile TC era products. True, that is a short list, but this one on top of it AFAIC. Seems Apple is very "A.D.D." these days about anything not an iPhone -- Launch product. Forget about product. Discontinue Product.

I'm wondering if the "mini" name is being discontinued but not the smaller form factor. Perhaps there will be a 9" OLED bezel-free model in the mini form factor. It becomes the Air 4.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
This doesn't come as a surprise.

When Apple announced the discontinuation of the 16gb version and only the 32gb would be available at 399, it sounded like Apple killing off the line. It meant that they were not planning any new 16gb models, and were just looking to offload and sell off the remaining 32gb models they likely have warehoused.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I love the mini! It's perfect for reading books. I also have a 6s+ and find the devices to be completely different In terms of size and use. We have two other minis for the kids as well.

My DH has two full sized iPads and I find them too big.

Our minis are all the 2; they are showing their age. I will be so sad if the mini really is discontinued.

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
What a shame. Our four years old original iPad mini is about to end its service... and now there wont be future for the form factor, so I don't know what to do. Android/google is not an option. I wont let them spy on me and sell my soul to advertisers... so we're quite out of options.

Google already sells your soul to advertisers whether or not you use Android. Their ads are in almost every free app I've used on iOS, and if you use Gmail and/or any other Google apps (maps, search, youtube, etc), the jig is already up whether you're on iOS, Android, Mac, whatever.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I bought one and sent it back after a couple of weeks. It was too small to comfortably use for me. Sorry for those who could make it work though. It is good for little kids with their sharp eyes and tiny fingers.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
What a shame. Our four years old original iPad mini is about to end its service... and now there wont be future for the form factor, so I don't know what to do. Android/google is not an option. I wont let them spy on me and sell my soul to advertisers... so we're quite out of options.

If you have been limping along on a first generation iPad mini then you can just buy an iPad mini 4 today and worry about this in four or five more years. The original iPad mini had a dated CPU when it shipped. It was slow from the get go (iPad 2 speeds). You will be more than satisfied with an iPad mini 4.

Reactions: redscull

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Easily the best size iPad. Stupid mistake to remove iPad mini from the line up.
[doublepost=1494949134][/doublepost]
I consider this to be a good thing, ultimately, I like to see simplification of the product line. And now we're about to have 4 different iPad models.

Yes, but some of us don't want a huge-ass iPad. Which I consider the 9.7" format to be.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Amazon Kindle Fire and others in the size and price range dominating. These devices more content consuming, priced well and from the folks I know who use them, satisfied. A Kindle Fire 8 inch fully loaded with three year warranty, MSRP $175 delivered. Apple smart to move out of this market.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Sad if true. Kind of surprising to me. It's one of the best, versatile TC era products. True, that is a short list, but this one on top of it AFAIC. Seems Apple is very "A.D.D." these days about anything not an iPhone -- Launch product. Forget about product. Discontinue Product.

I'm wondering if the "mini" name is being discontinued but not the smaller form factor. Perhaps there will be a 9" OLED bezel-free model in the mini form factor. It becomes the Air 4.

A small form factor "iPad" (no Mini name in it) could still be great if it was around 8.5" or slightly below 9". It would make a great entry level (and education priced) iPad that the rumors are spewing about. I'm hoping that might be the case. Maybe the Air Light?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.