Apple Rumored to Discontinue iPad Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Waiting for an iPad mini 5? You may be disappointed. BGR, citing a source close to Apple, claims the 7.9-inch tablet is being phased out. The report doesn't offer a timeline as to when the iPad mini will be discontinued, and its sources couldn't confirm if the iPad mini 4 will remain on sale for a period of time.

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to introduce a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro as early as the WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5, so it's conceivable to think the iPad mini could be axed then if the report is accurate. Apple's tablet lineup would then consist of the iPad Pro in 12.9-inch, 10.5-inch, and 9.7-inch sizes, and the new low-cost 9.7-inch iPad.

Apple launched the original iPad mini in 2012. Since the iPhone 6 Plus launched in 2014, it's been speculated that the 5.5-inch smartphone may be at least partially cannibalizing sales of the iPad mini, but Apple doesn't break out its tablet sales numbers on a model-by-model basis, so it's hard to say for sure.

Nearly two months ago, Apple discontinued the iPad mini 2 and stopped selling a 32GB version of the iPad mini 4. It also lowered the starting price of the 128GB iPad mini 4 to $399, which was previously the 32GB model's price point.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed Apple would release a 7.9-inch iPad Pro in March with a Smart Connector, True Tone display, four speakers and microphones, a 12-megapixel rear camera with True Tone flash, and an improved processor, but it's already May and the rumor has yet to materialize.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Discontinue iPad Mini

2. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Was hoping for a mini 5 but I expected this day would come, the 10.5 will be my next iPad it looks like.

3. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

I love that form factor.
    I won't be buying another iPad.
    I'll pick up one of the last mini's and hang on to it.

iPad air is too big.

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

5. profets macrumors 68040

Oh boy.. going to be some unhappy fans of the mini form factor.

I think it'll be sad to see it go (if it does). I still find it a near perfect size for book reading.

6. jdillings macrumors 65816

BGR is not a credible source. They are a clickbait website.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It would be Cannibalization.

We have a $329 iPad now, how to continue with Minis? How much could Apple charge for a new mini with that larger iPad priced at what it is?

And we have a rumored larger iPhone coming so .....

8. Red Oak macrumors regular

The 10.5 Pro will likely replace the 9.7". I can't imagine Apple keeps it in the lineup

Good news here is Apple is dramatically simplifying the product lineup

9. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

What a shame. Our four years old original iPad mini is about to end its service... and now there wont be future for the form factor, so I don't know what to do. Android/google is not an option. I wont let them spy on me and sell my soul to advertisers... so we're quite out of options.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It would be ironic if the iPod Touch outlived the Mini :).

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Crap, I hope not. Like others have mentioned, I really like this form factor and so does the wife. For us it is just the right size. We actually sold our large form versions and purchased two of the mini's.

12. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

5.5 inch iPhone is not a replacement for an iPad mini. It has a 16:9 display which is really hard to use in landscape orientation. Apps are generally not optimised for that aspect ratio. It doesn't have iPad specific features like Multitasking (Split-View, PiP, Gestures). And iPhone Plus is almost twice as expensive as the iPad mini.

Another thing that might happen with the iPad mini is that Apple could put a bigger display inside the same body and it won't be a 7.9 inch tablet anymore that they plan to discontinue.

13. cube macrumors G5

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

TBH, the writing was already on the wall:
    Only one iPad mini available, and it's the most expensive one.

I might grab the 128 GB mini now it's still available.

15. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Weren't the rumors saying the same thing last year shortly before the Mini 4 was announced?

16. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

so Steve Jobs was not wrong about 7 inch tablets after all? what a visionary man

17. cube macrumors G5

18. Cronowerx Suspended

7″ tablets should come with sandpaper, so that users can file down their fingers so they can use them....Steve Jobs was right!

19. Sunny1990, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

iPad mini was a perfect size tablet.it is one of my favorite form factor.Nooooo Noooo !! Apple please don't do that :(

20. Deej macrumors regular

I think that would be a shame. I like the size of the mini, and am (was?) just about to buy a new one!

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

My guess is they're not trying to replace the mini with the iPhone but that the larger iPad with smaller bezels won't be that much bigger than the mini (and with the Pro line won't be that much more expensive).

22. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

don't do this Apple. The mini is perfect for taking with me on my travels. The screen aspect ratio is brilliant for E-books and DSLR Photos. I do whole presentations from mine using a Lightning to HDMI cable.
    It works and for me it is perfect.
    If you do can it at least make a similar sized Pro. For me even 10in is too big.

23. dukeblue219 macrumors member

The iPad Mini is perfect for travel. I just can't fathom why, with all of Apple's other ignored products they'd ditch this one. Am I the only person who thinks it makes a great travel companion for e-reading and video watching on a tray table? A full sized iPad is too bright right in my face, and I don't want a plus-size phone. It's also much easier to hold one-handed (anywhere, not just travelling) than a full-sized unit.

Rumors rumors rumors... I know... but I really don't get how this isn't the most popular tablet size. If they drop support I'll upgrade from my 2 to a 4 right away, but then probably back to Android.

24. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

I keep reading this sort of comment and still cannot for the life of me understand it. How is less choice good news?

Perhaps if it avoided fragmentation, but does their dropping this item do this?

25. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

rp2011

Love my iPad mini. Take it with me for quick billing and invoicing on-site as I like to travel light. But it's all about viability.