Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I like a nice leather case, but I've always felt you can get better quality leather for the same money from various 3rd parties.

That said, I plan on not buying a case for my 15 - I hear that's what the rich people are doing these days. ;)

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I like the feel of the silicon case better than the leather, but the silicon falls apart (chips) too fast and easily so I choose leather. Whatever they do had better be as good or better than the leather or they will lose their case sales to third parties.
I've been using third party faux leather for a while now. They last better then the two Apple cases I've had.

The silicone one was the worst, started peeling in less than 6 months.

Additionally it go stuck to my pockets every time I tried to take it out or put it in. I actually hated that case and was glad it started to break down. 🤣

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Additionally it go stuck to my pockets every time I tried to take it out or put it in. I actually hated that case and was glad it started to break down. 🤣

That's always been my problem with silicone cases too - I think they look cool and feel good in my hand, but too much of a PITA to slide in and out of my pocket.

Reactions: surfzen21

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
Very glad to see this. For a while leather has been ignored as a HUGE contributor to greenhouse gas emissions (livestock farming is very bad, but then creating the leather adds a whole chunk on top of this).

Companies like Apple and Microsoft have made a lot of being carbon neutral, but then offered leather accessories like keyboard covers for tablets and cases. It's never made sense.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Meh. Apple charges way too much for a useless case anyway.

I typically use otterbox-style plastic cases in a relatively cheap leather belt holster.

And I'm sorry, there's no such thing as "vegan leather" - it's just naugahyde, aka vinyl. And it's about as far from a premium material as it gets.

It's a real shame that car manufacturers have gone back to that garbage. Vinyl seats used to be properly considered the low-end cheap option, with a nice cloth seat being the good option and leather being an honestly not as good but high-end option. Now they're selllng vinyl seats as a high end option, and the cloth seats that do exist are typically a horrible course weave nylon that's just as bad.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Haven't Apple's leather covers gotten less and less sturdy tho?

They used to be good, and now I only see shabby/threadbare ones that don't seem to age well at all instead of developing a shined/aged look as one would expect.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
It would be interesting to know just how many of these cases they sold over the years and how many cows had to die as a result?

From what I understand, the leather for this stuff is not derived from cows slaughtered for meat anyway but rather from cows specifically raised for this purpose - and usually in SE Asia under sometimes questionable conditions.

Also, I still see product recalls for leather products due to increased level of hexavalent chromium, so I'm not too keen on real leather either anymore (and I'm not vegetarian...).

Additionally, their push into India (where people think differently...about cows) might be helped by this is just all cases are vegan and there is no chance someone accidentally buys a leather-case - same reason a lot of people from that region only eat in vegetarian restaurants because only there can they be sure to never eat the "wrong" kind of meat...

luigismalucelli

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Do you guys remember iPhone 5c cases? :oops:

iPhone-5c-Cases.png
I had an iPhone 5C White 32GB with the blue silicone case.

In Brazil I paid R$2400 (around $1,200 in 2013), I was completely obsessed with that phone.

The 5 lineup was the best classic iPhone, I miss how light phones were back then.

luigismalucelli

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
iPhone socks, perhaps? 😁

48_02.jpg
When I was in middle school these were ALL THE RAGE for everything. Every cool girl on my class had cellphone socks and those phone straps and stickers. My mom had an iPod with a sock and I thought it was so cool.

iPods were awesome, we should bring them back

Reactions: Expos of 1969
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.