Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It would be interesting to know just how many of these cases they sold over the years and how many cows had to die as a result?

From what I understand, the leather for this stuff is not derived from cows slaughtered for meat anyway but rather from cows specifically raised for this purpose - and usually in SE Asia under sometimes questionable conditions.

Also, I still see product recalls for leather products due to increased level of hexavalent chromium, so I'm not too keen on real leather either anymore (and I'm not vegetarian...).

Additionally, their push into India (where people think differently...about cows) might be helped by this is just all cases are vegan and there is no chance someone accidentally buys a leather-case - same reason a lot of people from that region only eat in vegetarian restaurants because only there can they be sure to never eat the "wrong" kind of meat...
Seeing as animals are being discussed.... I am pleased that Apple is not based in Canada as they quite possibly would be offering seal fur cases.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Could be a supply chain shortage:
The U.S. gets so little leather products from Nicaragua and Ethiopia that they're meaningless.

Producer prices for (finished and unfinished) leather products is still below historical averages

leather.png

as is the price for hides

hides.png

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
probably said before but leather is part of “using the whole animal” and I believe animals raised exclusively for leather are very rare cases. Often leather is sourced from the meat industry after processing. If we stop using leather and keep eating meat, we will be wasting that part of the animal. Very sad to hear if true.

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
It is unlikely Apple is killing animals just for the leather. More likely, they are buying leather from animals that were already on the chopping block. So utilizing that raw material doesn't really have a carbon cost, unlike wasting it.

Edit: Apparently I am very late to this game, but the point stands.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
I got a leather case for my 14 pro. I just like the feel/grip of leather better than silicone or plastic. I like it but it doesn't fare nearly as well with 14Pro's square edges like it did 11Pro's rounded edge. Lots of dents and small tears from just a few drops.

Reactions: 5105973

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Never used a leather case but I assume it will absorb odors after a while like a wallet. I’m using a clear case from casekoo so I will likely stick with it for the 15 plus I like to show off the color

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.