Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple May Processor Bump MacBook Pros in 2011

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider claims that Apple may be bumping the processors of the MacBook Pros before the end of this year, but will make no other changes to the notebooks.
According to people with proven insight into Apple's future product plans, the late-2011 MacBook Pro refresh will deliver marginal speed bumps to the notebooks' Core i-Series of Sandy Bridge processors but will otherwise introduce no material changes over the existing models.
Intel recently introduced 16 new Sandy Bridge processors, some of which could be used in the current generation MacBook Pros.

Last year, Apple quietly added a high end 2.8GHz Core i7 option to the MacBook Pros in late October. So, the move is not without precedent, though last year it was offered only as a built-to-order option and not an across the board upgrade.

Article Link: Apple May Processor Bump MacBook Pros in 2011

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Well, that kinda blows for the early 2011 MBP crowd... And yes, that includes me...

Comment

Cjm1

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Oh for gods sake Apple just hurry up and redesign it! it looks outdated now and plus the current models are crap :apple:

Comment

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Well, that kinda blows for the early 2011 MBP crowd... And yes, that includes me...

Its september now. I can't see how people can really complain so much or be annoyed. I also dont see this kind of crybaby behaviour on the PC side, and if Mac users were to be using custom built computers, they'd be depressed all year round; new technology emerges ALL the time.

I just got a 2011 MacBook Pro... this doesnt bother me much. It won't be a huge improvement anyway.

Comment

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Hope this isn't true. I've really been looking forward to a MBP redesign. I would really like to see something like the Air - Pro hybrid body design some earlier rumors had pointed to.

Comment

funkright

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
The Wet Coast
Umm..

isn't a processor upgrade sorta logical in the medium to long term :confused: I am thinking this usually happens :rolleyes: and I get to enjoy my current Early 2011 for another 5 years anyways :D

Comment

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
When are the first models with ivy bridge coming out?

I have a MBP for work right now, and was very close to buying one in the latest release, but two things are holding me back that should probably be addressed by then:

1. Heat. The current sandy bridge MBP's get ridiculously hot. My fans spin up constantly making the laptop sound cheap. Hoping 22nm vs. 32nm helps with this.

2. Poor integrated graphics - hoping that intel/nvidia or someone else can work things out for a real chip.

Other things on my wishlist, but not quite as important:
- IPS panel !!!
- USB3 would also be a welcome addition, as I just don't see USB going away anytime soon, and USB2 is becoming painfully slow on large file transfers.

Comment

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
"According to people with proven insight into Apple's future product plans..." give me a break. They must've just seen Intel announce their processor roadmap whereas Ivy Bridge availability was pushed back to 2nd half of 2012. In this case, it is more logical for Apple to update the Pro line again in 2011 with newer Sandy Bridge processors and subsequently release the Ivy Bridge Pros in Summer 2012.

Comment

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
My guess is they'll take the two quad i7 QMs and make them extra BTO options. I highly doubt they'll put out a full refresh until Ivy Bridge.

Comment

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
The full article basically says Apple is only doing this (if they do) because the ivy bridge parts are delayed until first half 2012. If they don't, by the time ivy bridge actually ships, the MBP will be super outdated. This bump would just be to bring the line up to the current processors until the ivy bridge chips ship.

Comment

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh for gods sake Apple just hurry up and redesign it! it looks outdated now and plus the current models are crap :apple:

Ah yes, the current models are so ugly and slow compared to nonexisting, supposedly to be redesigned, Ivy-Bridge models :rolleyes:

Oh wait, this is you in 2012, talking crap about the Ivy-Bridge models because the newer, better, sexier Haswell MBP models are about to be released.
Am I not a prophet :rolleyes:

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
If Apple releases "Late 2011" MacBook Pro models that bump the processor specs, I would imagine that the machines would also bump the following to place them in line with the recently released MacBook Air and Mac mini:

• Bluetooth 4.0
  • OS X Lion recovery partition

Comment

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I'm guessing it'll wait until just after the back-to-school sale finishes which is too bad for me. They also really need a 2.5" 750GB 7200rpm HDD option. Considering they already offer the drive with the Mac Mini, adding it as an option for the MacBook Pro shouldn't be hard.

Comment

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Hope this isn't true. I've really been looking forward to a MBP redesign. I would really like to see something like the Air - Pro hybrid body design some earlier rumors had pointed to.

Why? The Air product line already exists. The MBP product line exists to handle those with more demanding needs and are willing to carry something bigger/heavier. Why mess with that? If the ultra-light compact Air needs a tweak, then tweak that.

Comment

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Brute force works

Since finally buying reading glasses, my desktop monitor now looks horrible to me. With the iPhone 4, pixel-doubling has arrived as the brute-force solution for the elusive goal of resolution independence. Can't wait!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.