Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Mobile Payment System 'Transaction' - an iPhone-based eWallet

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Patently Apple details a recent Apple patent application that describes a system by which customers can use their iPhone as an electronic wallet and payment system.
Apple's patent is directed to various techniques for conducting peer-to-peer financial exchanges using a handheld, portable electronic device – which for the sake of simplicity is represented throughout several transaction-based patents - as the iPhone.

The iPhone may integrate several functionalities for performing peer-to-peer transactions, including the storing information representation a user's payment accounts and crediting accounts, acquiring and sending payment information, and obtaining payment authorization.
Apple suggests a number of possibilities on how to initiate transactions including the use of Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.

Apple even names the app "Transaction" in the patent application and details how it might be used. This flowchart shows how one might pay for a bill at a restaurant using the application:

The patent applications for this system were originally filed in late 2008.

Article Link: Apple Mobile Payment System 'Transaction' - an iPhone-based eWallet

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
alpha and omega?

Does apple plan to use the iPhone as a "be all, end all" device? :eek:

Comment

Pumpkin King

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Now I'll really freak out when I lose my phone. Free pass to my bank account everybody.

However, put in some type of security to verify it's me (heartbeat monitor patent perhaps?) and I'm all in.

Comment

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Funny, I was listening to last week's MacBreak Weekly (5/4/10) podcast today and they were talking about this very thing.

Comment

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
Isn't Apple Store already using this system with their iPhones as I bought an item there and she pulled out an iphone from her pocket that had a card reader attached to the back of the iPhone. Scanned my CC and paid, invoice sent by email.

Comment

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I really look forward to this. As noted above, Japanese have been using their cellphones for electronic payments for some time now. While I look forward to replacing my wallet with the iPhone, there will need to be some biometric measures to ensure that I (and only I) can authorize the transactions.

Comment

Somtaaw

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Isn't Apple Store already using this system with their iPhones as I bought an item there and she pulled out an iphone from her pocket that had a card reader attached to the back of the iPhone. Scanned my CC and paid, invoice sent by email.

The Apple Store uses iPod Touches to ring people up for their purchases. What this patent is proposing is that you can use your own personal iPhone/iPod Touch to pay for something.

Comment

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006

This doesnt use a card reader, I believe its just straight bank to vendor via iphone authorization. Even the Square payment system requires a card reader.

Comment

jessea

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Cincinnati
It'll be nice to stop carrying around such a bulky wallet. I already love ditching simple things like membership cards with the iPhone. Ditching the plastic will be fine with me.

Comment

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'm wondering if this connects straight to your CC holder, the vendor, or what. The business will need to be assured that they have been credited, so hopefully it will take no longer than the CC machines already in use. You pay, they confirm receipt of the money and you go on your way. I like it.

Bio-metric would be excellent, but it's not a deal breaker for me. 90% of the places I use a credit card never even bother to look at my ID. Even with a Debit Card, it's only a 4 digit password. I'd imagine the Find my Phone feature would be used a lot less because people might take care not to leave their device behind in say, a German beer garden.:)

Comment

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
This sounds great. I was just bitching on another forum that I hate writing and depositing checks. There are only a few occasions when a check is necessary, but maybe an app like this could be used for those occasions (childcare, school fund raisers, other odd things...)

Comment

aaustin22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Just an observation, but it seems that this 4th generation iPhone is easily lost or forgotten about or maybe they literally grow legs and walk away. Regardless, if the people who are in charge of a prototype can't keep them on their person, that doesn't give me any faith that myself or anyone else won't lose their phone and, with that, won't lose all their bank and possibly credit card information with it. Not everyone has a MobileMe account and can use the Find My iPhone feature to kill it if/when it gets lost. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not 100% keen on something like this, on the up side, it definitely sounds like an optional feature.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.