Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macsimum News notes that Apple has moved up to #20 on market research firm Interbrand's annual 'Best Global Brands' list. Interbrand pegged Apple's "brand" at a value of $US15.4 billion, up 12% from 2008 and enough to boost Apple to #20 from #24 in the rankings.
The recession won't take a bite out of this Apple. Declining Mac sales and fears for the company's future without brand visionary Steve Jobs, were outweighed by record high iPod sales, doubling sales for the iPod Touch, and all-time high market share for Mac OS software. Price might be a barrier for cost-conscious consumers, but Apple responded quickly with high margin, low-priced products like the US $99 iPhone and a new, voice-activated iPod Shuffle. The Apple brand is the most supported within its industry, and among the most iconic of relatively young brands in the world.
The 2009 list was headed by Coca-Cola, IBM, and Microsoft, although Apple had the second-greatest increase in brand value (by percentage) after Google's 25% increase among the top 25 companies on the list.

Article Link: Apple Moves Up to #20 on 'Best Global Brands' List

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I've always wondered: who is Eric Slivka? Every once in a while I'll see an article written by Arn, so it can't be one of Arn's pen names..

Comment

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Apple's brand getting 'better' = their products will get even more badly built, have even more problems and their customer service will get even worse.

Comment

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
When it comes to sugar water flavored with a touch of phosphoric acid, I trust no brand more than Coca Cola!

And Marlboro, come on. A company that everyone knows purposefully lied about the safety of their products for years is even on the list? How can they possibly leverage their brand? Would anyone in their right mind buy Marlboro baby formula? The only thing they can use their brand on are products people already know are poisonous. Like maybe Marlboro pesticides or fertilizer or gasoline.....

Comment

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
*music* Movin on up! Mooovin on uuup */music*

I can only assume that's from the theme song to The Jeffersons.

My '90s Eurodance-loving self is now humming the tune to Dreamworld's "Movin' Up." Time to fire up the new nano... :D

And Marlboro, come on. A company that everyone knows purposefully lied about the safety of their products for years is even on the list? How can they possibly leverage their brand? Would anyone in their right mind buy Marlboro baby formula? The only thing they can use their brand on are products people already know are poisonous. Like maybe Marlboro pesticides or fertilizer or gasoline.....

Marlboro is a very well-known brand in many countries outside the U.S. A colleague at one of my previous jobs, a very "country" fellow who often wore plaid shirts, jeans and cowboy boots went to Japan for a vendor conference. When he came back, he said that just about everybody on the street would point to him, saying "Marlboro Man!"

Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Apple's brand getting 'better' = their products will get even more badly built, have even more problems and their customer service will get even worse.

Apple had about 2-3% market share the end of the 90s. Their product quality back then was not nearly as good as it is now. The quality of their products have increased dramatically in the intervening years.

Given that, what do you base your statement on? The fact that other tech companies have gone down that same path? If so, explain to me why I should accept that Apple is just like other tech companies out there when we have a full decade that shows us they are anything but.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
And Marlboro, come on. A company that everyone knows...

That's why they are on the list. Everyone knows them. And judging from all the times I've been outside of the US many people who smoke are smoking Marlboros. And in some places of the world if there is no sign forbidding smoking then it is mandatory. If there is a sign forbidding smoking it just means it is optional.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The list isn't completely wrong, but I can't really take anything seriously after IBM at #2.

Comment

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Apparently selling sugared water to children still has better "brand" than changing the world...at least the Coke rather than Pepsi version...sorry Scully.

Comment

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
That list seems theoretical not realistic. I mean except us geeks, who's heard of Cisco? And who's heard of GE outside of the US?

I would easily place Apple in the top 5.

Coca Cola
McDonalds
Microsoft
Apple
Google

Comment

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Who cares!

Most of the top brands have lousy customer service and that's where headed with Apple!
Bigger does not mean better!

Comment

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
What companies are 91, 16 and 4? I recognise the logos/names of all the others.

If you are looking at the full list, there is a + button at the end that you can click on to get more information on the company. #4 GE is General Electric, which used to be the world's largest company (and some lists still have it there). They are into everything, but we see their modalities everywhere in the hospitals I have worked in, so healthcare hardware (MRI machines, X-ray machines, and electronic imaging systems to go with them) is a big area for them.

Comment

Jeffacme

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Interbrand is Moronic

Just another example of an agency/research firm that has no clue what brand value is. GE is a great brand but in terms of it's products and innovation, take away healthcare, and they have been sucking wind for the past five years.

Microsoft is *******! Yet that crappy do nothing brand with 35% more marketcap 1/4 of the earnings per share and -13.8% as opposed to +11.72 EPS growth compared to Apple sits at #3

The takeaway buy more APPL today and when Apple the brand gets to #3 get off and enjoy your retirement.

Comment

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
4= general electric
16= Luis Vutton
91=Lancome

91 - Lancome - Cosmetic and Fashion Brand
16 - Louis Vuitton - Fashion Brand
4 - General Electric - Loads of things

If you are looking at the full list, there is a + button at the end that you can click on to get more information on the company. #4 GE is General Electric, which used to be the world's largest company (and some lists still have it there). They are into everything, but we see their modalities everywhere in the hospitals I have worked in, so healthcare hardware (MRI machines, X-ray machines, and electronic imaging systems to go with them) is a big area for them.

Aha cheers. I know who General Electric are but don't think I've ever seen the logo before. Louis Vuitton I've of course heard of too but didn't recognise the logo. I've never heard of Lancome though but I guess that's getting pretty far down the list.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.