Apple Mulling Preview of New Modular Mac Pro at WWDC in June

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is considering previewing its upcoming redesigned Mac Pro at its Worldwide Developers Conference this June, according to a new report by Bloomberg today.

[​IMG]

Apple has said it is working on a high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro for its pro user base that will be easily upgradable and will feature components for the most system intensive tasks.

According to sources who spoke to well-connected Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman, Apple has "internally weighed previewing a new version of the high-end Mac Pro" at this year's WWDC, although no firm decision appears to have been made.

According to executives Craig Federighi and Phil Schiller, Apple is committed to making the Mac Pro the highest-end desktop system able to accommodate VR and high-end cinema production. Apple has also put together a "Pro Workflow Team" to tailor the Mac Pro and other Apple products to its professional users.

The modular workstation is expected to ship alongside an upcoming Apple-branded pro display, which rumors suggest will be 31.6 inches with a 6K resolution and have "outstanding picture quality" enabled through a new Mini LED-like backlighting design.

We still have no word on when in 2019 the Mac Pro is coming, but Apple did promise a 2019 launch date in early 2018. If it's anything like the last Mac Pro in 2013, we should indeed get further information at WWDC, which Apple is planning to hold from June 3 to June 7 in San Jose, California, based on permit filings uncovered by MacRumors.

Article Link: Apple Mulling Preview of New Modular Mac Pro at WWDC in June

2. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

sure... and it will be available at the end of december 2019 :rolleyes:

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

This is the most intrigued I have ever been by an Apple product. This is the dealbreaker. I'll keep my 2012 Mac Pro til 2020, so I'll know if they keep it updated yearly.

4. obiwan macrumors 6502

Apple are just 'mulling' this over?? Their lack of commitment to the Pro market is astounding (but sadly not surprising)!!

5. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I guess this means it’s no where close to being released. If they don’t give us details at WWDC we probably have to wait until October.

7. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

What I find the most amusing about this… the desktop picture on the display which puts this mockup back to Yosemite.

8. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

For sure it will have a soldered SSD for security with T2 (and its encoding). Maybe it will have Nvme slots for other disk.
    eGPU makes already Mac mini and MacBook Pro incredibly power, for sure you will be able to plug eGPU there too so the default GPU needs to be very powerful like Radeon VII for both pro and gaming or they could put an advanced integrated only GPU and optional modular eGPU

9. dazzer21-2 macrumors regular

And what's probably not so amusing is that it will actually end up looking like this!!!!!

10. AngerDanger, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Gotta admit, I find the touch bar on a tower pretty odd; it seems like something I’d come up with for a GIF. Might as well pop a notch on that bad boy too.

Ah, why the hell not?

[​IMG]

11. norsemen macrumors regular

Not promised in 2019. The exact qoute from the Mac Roundtable talk from Phil Schiller was;

«Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.»

12. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

They shall be heralded as being innovative! For doing something everyone has been doing for years...

13. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Nothing will be standardized to make sure you are forced to buy the apple only ram etc including apple tax

14. fermat-au macrumors 6502

WWDC 19 - Mac Pro previewed
    Dec 19 - Available to order
    March 20 - first lower end models ship
    May 20 - All models ship
    ?????? - first update

15. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

What I find most amusing about that display is its total lack of respect for the laws of physics!

Shocking to hear that they are only just ‘mulling it over’. I can’t see this being a 2019 product anymore. I’d be happy to be proved wrong, but I doubt that will happen.

16. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

They’re mulling the preview, not the product. I figured that out from the title alone. Relax.

17. ticotoo macrumors member

Yes, but will it support Nvidia gpu's? I'm seriously considering switching
    Win10. I have been waiting for a year for Titan V support, let alone lack of Mojave drivers.Pro level work requires the ability to choose the best GPU for the task & AMD doesn't always cut it.

18. joiwomcow macrumors member

Why is this so hard? There are a million companies making modular, upgradeable chassis for professionals. I have one sitting under my desk, running Linux. This is not a laptop where every millimetre counts.
    Life only becomes difficult when Apple makes proprietary machines that are impossible to service, upgrade, or repair (macbook pro, imac pro, current mac pro). But that's not the goal this time, right Apple? ....Apple?

19. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

They're probably concerned it will eat into the sales of their iPhones and iPads. o_O

20. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

How do you make those, by the way? After Effects? I’m always excited to look for them on new posts and would love to get started creating my own, but I’m not sure where to begin.

21. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

22. otternonsense, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

I'm also mulling over whether I want to continue working on OSX after 14 years because of the crapola that is the Touch Bar MacBook Pro, macOS and marzipan stupidification, Pro apps that died on the vine, and no commitment to desktop Macs.

23. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I get the impression that some folks think the concept picture in this article is what Apple will be shipping.

No the new Mac won’t look like a Mac Mini nor have a Touch Bar.

24. Average Pro macrumors regular

Check book/credit card standing by to purchase

25. Mitochris macrumors member

Remember when they stacked the Mac minis last year? Why not have a modular system like that where you can buy different modules, depending on what you need/expand.