Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music subscribers who use Windows 11 and dislike accessing the service through iTunes or their browser can now run the Apple Music Android app on their desktop, thanks to the first preview release of Android apps support.

Microsoft released Windows 11 earlier this month, but its promised support for side-loading Android apps was delayed. That just got one step closer, however, with the first preview of the support now available to testers in the Beta Channel version of Windows 11, which means interested users need to opt into the Windows Insider program to gain access.

As it's a preview release, Microsoft has limited the number of Android apps that can be run on Windows 11, and has partnered with Amazon to make around 50 apps on the Amazon Appstore available to download and install. Apple Music isn't available on Amazon's Appstore, but it is possible to run the app using the app's APK and the Windows Subsystem for Android.

The process is a little convoluted for casual users, but for anyone who is not a fan of iTunes and doesn't like running Apple Music through a browser, it should provide a nice alternative.

Article Link: Apple Music Android App Can Now Be Used in Windows 11

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Thank you Microsoft for doing what Apple wont.

I loved Apple Music but having to use iTunes or a web browser on Windows? No thanks! I went straight back to Spotify.

If Apple put out a native Windows Apple Music app then I'll go right back to Apple Music. I guess it's up to Apple if they want my money or not...

prwnr

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
I would really prefer using the iPhone Music app on my MacBook than using the actual Mac Music app, its terrible

As Justin Long stated correctly the first time, one could buy a Mac and run  Music natively as it just works.
Mac vs PC.jpeg

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
It's unbelievable to me that a multi-billionaire company as Apple cannot write a piece an app to replace iTunes on Windows. Is not a way to force people like me on buying a mac (I have a Mac, but I spend 10 hours a day on a PC). I'm really upset about this.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Windows 11....making Windows 10 look good everyday. Besides some PC gamer friends, who have Mac's as well, I do not know anyone that "chooses" Windows anymore.

It is such a complete mess with ZERO ecosystem. This article is about how you can use the Android subsystem to run Apple's music software on Windows. The irony is amazing. Dare I say its Zunetastic!!!!

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
It's unbelievable to me that a multi-billionaire company as Apple cannot write a piece an app to replace iTunes on Windows. Is not a way to force people like me on buying a mac (I have a Mac, but I spend 10 hours a day on a PC). I'm really upset about this.
I am sure Apple has some good data. First off I bet they know that the percentage of people using Apple music on any kind of computer is probably low, very low I bet compared to those using it on iOS and Android devices.

Once they get into the low computer use data they probably know that Windows users make up a tiny fraction of Apple Music users. So why waste the effort, just let them use the web...like so many other things in 2021.

Lucasof

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
It’s easy why that, looking into get all softw via arm which automatically get their arm apps working then they will use in Arm ‘ it just works ‘ ….
android is arm apps design at the end of the day….

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Your premise is wrong. Of course they can.
It's just that they have decided that there are better things to do.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
So with Windows 11 I can run ARM Android apps without any sideloading restrictions…… even on Intel chips!

I know people may disagree, but this sounds better than iOS apps on M1.
Yes it has an Android emulator (ARM to Intel x866/64) so you can run Android apps. Not sure about performance or UI/GUI performance (touch apps with considerably different resolution layout all being emulated).

With the M1 iOS to Mac everything is native, so no emulation and on a much more powerful chip. If anything performance goes up unless you have a M1 based iPad. Even then if you get a M1 Pro or Max then the performance of an app will be greater.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
I bet Apple has data that says people like you, use either an iPhone or Android device to listen to music while using their PC.....99.896% of the time. Go to the Apple Music website on your PC if you do not use a smartphone.

• Disagree
Reactions: Janichsan

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I bet Apple has data that says people like you, use either an iPhone or Android device to listen to music while using their PC.....99.896% of the time. Go to the Apple Music website on your PC if you do not use a smartphone.
The issue is not listening to Apple Music. In case you forgot it: you can do this just fine with iTunes, even on Windows.

The problem is everything else. When you own an iPhone and only a Windows PC, iTunes for Windows is the only application you can use to manage said iPhone.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
There are tons of reasons.

Price and gaming being two of the key factors. Also believe it or not some people just prefer the look and feel of windows and how it operates.
Many people simply do not care about computers anymore. They use one to get specific stuff done that they can't do on their smartphone or tablet for whatever reason. If this is the case then price becomes the #1 reason they choose a Windows computer. They do not like Windows, to them its like a microwave oven or washing machine, it serves a purpose. They will dislike it when it does not work, just like those other devices.

The only people that really like Windows PC's in 2021 are gamers and I am not sure if they are more into the pimping/RGB, tweeking, constantly changing, look at my rig, PC master race, Overlocking, benchmarking or actually playing games aspect of it.

Like when I was in high school and kids lowered their Honda Civics and put crazy lighting along the bottom/front back, wide tires that stuck way out on it, loud exahust systems, with super loud thumping stero systems in them, almost all of which degraded the car's ability to perform its main function.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
The issue is not listening to Apple Music. In case you forgot it: you can do this just fine with iTunes, even on Windows.

The problem is everything else. When you own an iPhone and only a Windows PC, iTunes for Windows is the only application you can use to manage said iPhone.
I own a Mac, two of them. I own a iPhone and a iPad. I cant remember that last time I connected my iPhone or iPad to a Mac or a PC. I manage them both fine with out them. I have 4 other people in my house (wife/kids) all with iPhone's and iPads. I am the only Mac user....none of them plug their iPhone or iPad into a PC's (two of them have no computer at all).

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Why would anyone have a windows pc? Especially after the new Macbooks that blow every other laptop out of the water.

There are many reasons

One can still run software they bought in 1991 for Windows 3.11 on Windows 11 without any modifications or simulators. One cannot get that kind of backwards compatibility with any other OS.

One has access to faaaar more games using Windows. More productivity software as well. Windows 11 is an excellent operating system. It's modern, it's very stable, and it's easy to use.

scottie2345

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Rutland, UK
There are many reasons

One can still run software they bought in 1991 for Windows 3.11 on Windows 11 without any modifications or simulators. One cannot get that kind of backwards compatibility with any other OS.

One has access to faaaar more games using Windows. More productivity software as well. Windows 11 is an excellent operating system. It's modern, it's very stable, and it's easy to use.

I use bespoke engineering software, no chance they will be available for the Mac, I do wish people would think before running down windows, its not ideal but it does okay

Scottie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.