Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Fanboys. People who use Apple products, LOVE Apple products.

Also, sample size.

Also, who did this company target? Kids, adults, techies, audiophiles?

Apple Music is also NEW. Spotify has been going for many years, so it's a much more mature user-base. If you look at those results in percentage terms, there is ZERO difference. You're looking at decimal places....

Thank you. This is why you are in leadership and we are mere followers. I will copy and paste your suggestions to add after "Apple music sucks!"

Reactions: Keane16

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Just because a person wants wireless headphones doesn't make them any less qualified to judge the value of a music streaming app. You don't need musical ears to understand why a music streaming is good or not.
It's a question of refinement. But if you think wireless headphones sound better, that doesn't apply.
[doublepost=1475089299][/doublepost]
Thank you. This is why you are in leadership and we are mere followers. I will copy and paste your suggestions to add after "Apple music sucks!"
Is that the royal 'we'?

tnypxl

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
It's a question of refinement. But if you think wireless headphones sound better, that doesn't apply.

Well, it has nothing to do with refinement or headphone choice. I am not a more refined user because I use [your favorite music app here] over something else. JD is rating overall satisfaction which likely takes multiple aspects of the music streaming experience into account.

AtikCzaTok

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
JD power rankings gain MacRumors?

come on. these are bunk. they've been bunk in the automotive world, They're basically the equivelant of "pay to win" ratings

JD Power was recently purchased by XIO, so it is now internationally owned.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I don't really get these services. Why not just buy the songs you like, then listen to them whenever you want? If you want to discover music, there's about ten thousand free internet radio stations of every genre imaginable you can listen to.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Why did they remove the heart from the lock screen, notification panel and Playing Now card??? Don't they want us to like songs and train the matching algorithms any more?

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
The article says that sharing playlists is a big thing... I used to like that bit about Rdio, and I miss it on Apple Music. The only other complaint I have with Apple Music is the lack of decade-specific radio channels. It'd be great if I could simply choose "the 80s" and get a never ending, never-ish repeating stream. Overall, I'm happy though.

Reactions: tonyr6

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
I am an Apple Music subscriber and I love the service, but it's lack of a web player is a pretty serious embarrassment at this point.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Tidal? Not mentioned in the JD Power press release. Maybe not enough subscribers to warrant inclusion in the study?

sheamus

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
1.9% difference between first place and last place. Yet Apple music gets a 5/5 ranking and Google Play (last) gets 2/5! Hilarious.

The only reason it scores high in ease of use is that it was forced on everyone for years... plus it actually used to be good, so people stuck with it. Simply put, they know it better.

I am all for good customer service, etc, but having 'Communication' and 'Customer Service' both weighted the same as Content/Performance/Ease of Use is just dumb. According to their definition of 'Communication', it is a complete overlap of Customer Service+Ease of Use IMHO.

I have tried Tidal twice, and just didn't like the applications, and because I use Bluetooth audio most of the time, the sound quality difference was negated. But still not including them in this survey is kind of crazy, when you consider their whole value prop.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Those all look like a statistical tie. Everyone looks pretty happy. I want to see some error bars.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Has everyone forgotten that Apple Music is also on Android?

Yes, we know, but how is that relevant to our desire to attack Apple Music? We are trying to do damage control with the JD power good news for AM, and you aren't helping at all. Your attitude is why millions of people keep signing up for AM.

GaryLasereyes

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2016
Lol ridiculous! Also Apple Music users most likely have less musical ears given the desire we witness here for BT headphones etc. I think Spotify users are a little more demanding and refined in their musical needs!

What are you even talking about here? Musical ears? Are you talking about sound quality? No one who's interested in streaming music, regardless of which platform they choose, is really that concerned about sound quality. If you can tell the difference between streamed songs through BT and wired headphones I'd be shocked. The source quality is too low to make a difference.

tnypxl

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
Yes, we know, but how is that relevant to our desire to attack Apple Music? We are trying to do damage control with the JD power good news for AM, and you aren't helping at all. Your attitude is why millions of people keep signing up for AM.

I just want to see the world burn. :(

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
What are you even talking about here? Musical ears? Are you talking about sound quality? No one who's interested in streaming music, regardless of which platform they choose, is really that concerned about sound quality. If you can tell the difference between streamed songs through BT and wired headphones I'd be shocked. The source quality is too low to make a difference.
Be shocked. There is a huge difference with high bitrate streaming (as is offered by Spotify). With BT, you're getting compression on compression. Good luck with that.

tnypxl

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
Be shocked. There is a huge difference with high bitrate streaming (as is offered by Spotify). With BT, you're getting compression on compression. Good luck with that.

I agree there is a difference, but for most it doesn't matter.

GaryLasereyes

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2016
Fanboys. People who use Apple products, LOVE Apple products.

Also, sample size.

Also, who did this company target? Kids, adults, techies, audiophiles?

Apple Music is also NEW. Spotify has been going for many years, so it's a much more mature user-base. If you look at those results in percentage terms, there is ZERO difference. You're looking at decimal places....

There's likely zero difference because, unless I misunderstood, they're asking respondents how they feel about the service they currently use. If someone wasn't satisfied with the service they're using why wouldn't they just switch to a different service? It doesn't surprise me at all that AM users are very satisfied, just like Spotify users are very satisfied.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I see a lot of bad reviews for Spotify in the App Store - but these mostly people who do not know what free vs premium is, and complain about commercials. I personally love Spotify.
One could argue, I suppose, that that's an advantage of not having a free tier - no commercials to complain about.
[doublepost=1475094655][/doublepost]
Apple is doomed.

Am I doing this right?
Good first try, but you need some sort of tie-in to watch bands and something about how Steve would never have done this.
[doublepost=1475094970][/doublepost]
Standing by for further instructions from Android leadership.
They told me to tell you, "The duck quacks at midnight" and "John has a long mustache". I think it's some sort of code.
[doublepost=1475095081][/doublepost]
I think J.D. Power is very biased and they're losing credibility at this point.
If the article today was claiming that J.D. Power ranked Spotify substantially higher than Apple Music, would you be making the same complaint about J.D. Power being very biased and not credible?

Reactions: driceman

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
There's likely zero difference because, unless I misunderstood, they're asking respondents how they feel about the service they currently use. If someone wasn't satisfied with the service they're using why wouldn't they just switch to a different service? It doesn't surprise me at all that AM users are very satisfied, just like Spotify users are very satisfied.
I'm satisfied with my car but it doesn't mean to say I don't want a Ferrari...
[doublepost=1475095168][/doublepost]
Your argument is irrelevant. Therein lies my point.
A touché fail. Right there.

GaryLasereyes

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2016
I'm satisfied with my car but it doesn't mean to say I don't want a Ferrari...

If there was a one service cost 10-20x more than the others that would be a decent analogy. They're all pretty much the same though. Most people can't switch from a Civic to a Ferrari but going from Apple Music to Spotify isn't quite as difficult.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
If there was a one service cost 10-20x more than the others that would be a decent analogy. They're all pretty much the same though. Most people can't switch from a Civic to a Ferrari but going from Apple Music to Spotify isn't quite as difficult.

I'll make it easy for you. Which of these can Apple Music do?

1) Choice of bitrate for both streaming and offline content (with extreme bitrate for paid users)
2) Ability to use any client as a remote for another
3) Personal weekly playlists based on personal behaviour
4) Ability to download any track at no cost, for as long as you're a subscriber
5) A web client
6) Integration with any offline content on your computer/iDevice
7) Social streams for seeing what friends are listening to
8) Public and private (discoverable/shared) playlists
9) An integrated app marketplace for the desktop
10) I'm sure I'm missing more...

So, I drive a Fiesta. I now want to buy the new Ford Focus. Is that easier for you to fathom?

Reactions: phobic99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.