Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its first original television show, "Carpool Karaoke: The Series," will debut on Apple Music on Tuesday, August 8.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is based on the popular Carpool Karaoke segment from "The Late Late Show with James Corden." Apple purchased rights to the show back in mid-2016 and showed off the first trailer in February. The show was originally supposed to launch in April, but its debut was delayed.

"Carpool Karaoke" will feature 16 half-hour episodes starring celebrity pairs riding in a car as they sing songs together. Each episode, produced by James Corden, Ben Winston, and Eric Kankowski, will feature a different host. New episodes will premiere on Tuesdays.
Excited to roll out #CarpoolKaraoke: The Series on @AppleMusic -- Coming August 8! - Eddy Cue (@cue) May 30, 2017

Today's "Carpool Karaoke" update includes a list of each of the celebrities pairings that will be featured on the show, ranging from Will Smith and James Corden to "Game of Thrones" stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner.
Carpool Karaoke: The Series for Apple Music will welcome a different group of superstars every Tuesday, with new episodes available exclusively to Apple Music subscribers in more than 100 countries. Celebrity pairings include Will Smith and James Corden; Miley, Noah, Billy Ray and the entire Cyrus family; Shakira and Trevor Noah; Game of Thrones stars Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams; Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith; John Legend, Alicia Keys and Taraji P. Henson; LeBron James and James Corden; and many more.
"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" will be available solely to Apple Music subscribers in more than 100 countries.

Article Link: Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke' TV Series to Debut on August 8

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Not the most exciting thing for me personally, but this is just their 'toe in the water', so I'm excited to see where Apple goes with their original programming... Especially if the rumors of their series developments in the realm of "Stranger Things" and "Westworld" comes to fruition.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
"Apple's first original TV series is finally coming"
dhwMkb2.png

....but, but...it's not "original." :eek:

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
This was cool early last year. They are soooooo late when it comes to what is "hip" in pop culture. Whats next, iMessage Stories?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Carpool Karaoke is already at that point where it seems rather boring, and doesn't get near the attention it did last year. Delaying this until August is only going to make that even more obvious.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Hate to tell you guys but we're the ones who are out of touch.

You may not like R'n'B radio or rap Apple Music exclusives or collaborations between Apple and specific brands or artists but there is no denying it generates a lot of cash and interest.

Hell, even the Touchbar MacBook that is despised on here has been received well among the community.

It's very easy to demonstrate. Guage the hate on here and compare it to the sales and revenue Apple generate. It is a small overlap on a Venn diagram.

The Macrumours usership is far, far removed from the Apple demographic. Like I said, out of touch.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
Hate to tell you guys but we're the ones who are out of touch.

You may not like R'n'B radio or rap Apple Music exclusives or collaborations between Apple and specific brands or artists but there is no denying it generates a lot of cash and interest.

Hell, even the Touchbar MacBook that is despised on here has been received well among the community.

The Macrumours usership is far, far removed from the Apple demographic. Like I said, out of touch.
Are we really out of touch? I can think of at least a couple Apple attempts at social media type things that have failed hard. Game Center, the iTunes Ping. From the sneak peak vid it doesn't look like(at least to me) that big of a success. I liked the idea that @star_nerdy mentioned.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
This is so stupid. Why would they take a segment from a late night talk show and produce it into anything? What's next, and whole show dedicated to Letterman's top 10?

If Apple wants to dip their toes into content creation with streaming video, this is not it. Purchasing Netflix when it was below $95 a share in 2015 would have been a better idea than this crap.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
More evidence that Apple is really not focussed on the things that would attract me to spend any more of my money with them.

I really am sick of self righteous celebrities and this just throws more fuel on that fire. There are so many better things Apple could have done with their money to get their toe in the production water... heck, they could have just bought a major production company. The fact that this is their first step is telling. Not my cup of tea... haven't watched it before and have no intention of doing so.

I predict that it will be a big fail, and will probably quietly disappear about 12 months out when its luster wears off.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not looking forward to this, but I am hoping it is a success on some level. I see Netflix putting out tons of original content (some sticks, some is crap) and I see no reason why Apple couldn't do the same thing, only better. Hire the best writers/directors/actors and start approving projects. This, included with unlimited streaming movies and tv shows from iTunes, and live TV, has the potential to be huge. Might as well use that money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.